Hi everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 02:22 AM
RE: Hi everyone
Welcome to our world the water are warm and mostly friendly!
So, how did your walk into atheism? What's your DE conversion story?

K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JONES's post
03-03-2017, 02:27 AM
Ooooooh, SWKS. I lived in Kansas for a few years, up near Topeka.

I did a lot of work in southwest Kansas while working for the KDHE (Dep't of Health & Environment) as a field biologist. I worked all over the state, but my field partner and I spent almost an entire summer in the southwestern corner doing a survey of what remains of your waterways and the ecosystem that was once based off the water that formerly flowed through that part of the state.

It was a bit depressing, seeing the place west of Dodge City where the Arkansas (ar-KAN'-zus, as it's pronounced locally) River dried up and went underground, traveling through a dry riverbed almost 100m wide for a couple of hundred miles before re-emerging before it reaches Wichita. I've stood at both points. Sad

On the other hand, Garden City had a nice little zoo, Hutchinson has both a nice zoo and an amazing aerospace museum, and Ulysses had one of the prettiest little churches I'd ever seen in my life. Fantastic architecture.

Southwest Louisiana isn't all bad... unless you're an atheist. The only atheist from that area I've ever known was a girl I dated, who now lives in California. I did know an atheist lesbian from Colby, KS, but she's also out on the west coast, now, I believe. Hard to stick around here as a nonbeliever unless you're in a major, major city. So I hope you find the intellectual refuge you seek, here.

Welcome to TTA.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
03-03-2017, 05:24 AM
Welcome! I'm new and really enjoying all the thoughtful responses. Great place to learn like RicKoehn said.
[+] 1 user Likes mustardseed's post
03-03-2017, 06:43 AM
Hullo!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
03-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Welcome!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-03-2017, 08:32 AM
(02-03-2017 09:37 PM)RicKoehn Wrote:  Hi everyone
I'm a 64 yo guy living in South West Kansas. Just coming to terms with being an atheist. It has been a slow progress working through leaving religion. I am enjoying The Thinking Atheist and this forum so far.

Hey Rickoehn - whereyat? Dodge? Garden? I'm in the Flinthills. There are a couple of other Kanza around the forum - ha - mostly teachers, go figure. TheGulegon is in KC - lucky bastard - at least he's close to shit to do, ya know?

Take a look around - lots of discussions so, jump right in. We're a global forum so, you have a great variety of perspective at your fingertips.

Lots to know about your self - you are taking charge - that's gotta feel pretty good.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
03-03-2017, 08:59 AM
"Lots to know about your self."

You're right, lots to learn.
Thanks
03-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Hello, and welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
03-03-2017, 09:39 AM
(02-03-2017 09:37 PM)RicKoehn Wrote:  Hi everyone
I'm a 64 yo guy living in South West Kansas. Just coming to terms with being an atheist. It has been a slow progress working through leaving religion. I am enjoying The Thinking Atheist and this forum so far.

> Hi, RicKoehn! I'm a new member too. I look forward to reading your posts.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
03-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Hi Ric, looking forward to hearing more about your journey.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post