Hi everyone (Ex Muslim)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone (Ex Muslim)
My name is Izel and I am 21 year old female from beautiful Izmir Turkey. Born and raised as Muslim, (modern muslim though) after I got into college I developed huge interest on science. I studied a lot about universe and evolution and I realized everything I been told growing up was a big fat lie. Even though we're very secular as a nation, leaving the religion is still a big no no in the society. I won't be publicly executed but I'm most likely to lose everyone I know in my life if I fully come out as atheist. My close family knows I am questioning my religion but I don't think they fully understand that I have completely parted my ways with God. Anyone that's in my situation, I'd appreciate if you share your story and how did you came out and what were the consequences. Thanks in advance.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like izel's post
30-10-2015, 05:47 PM
RE: Hi everyone (Ex Muslim)
Hi there. Welcome to TTA.

There are many here in your situation and many who have been through it before... you are not alone.

We have some forum sections dedicated to "Deconversion Stories" and "Recovering from Religion" that will contain some advice. Browse around.

There are also some here who have decided that it's not wise to come out... it all kinda depends on personal circumstances and risk.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
30-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
30-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Well first off, Hello & welcome, izel! Shy

I'm openly atheist with anyone who asks me about it... except some of my close relatives.
I don't care what most people think, but I'm stuck with my family! But even worse than them not ever being around to help me, some of them might refuse to call me when they need MY help, since they don't need no help from a "dirty" heathen.

For that reason I keep it to myself when I'm around them. Some know, but quite a few don't. I just don't want to deal with the arguments that might arise. I figure I don't see em often so I'll just go along with the dinner prayers, and whatnot, and just be happy with em instead of wasting my time trying to explain to them how I can be religionless.

I don't know your family, but it's something to think about. My happy time with family outweighs my need to throw my atheism on the floor like a challenge.

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
30-10-2015, 06:00 PM
[Image: Img19_zpsrfuuvmv2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
30-10-2015, 06:10 PM
(30-10-2015 05:57 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Well first off, Hello & welcome, izel! Shy

I'm openly atheist with anyone who asks me about it... except some of my close relatives.
I don't care what most people think, but I'm stuck with my family! But even worse than them not ever being around to help me, some of them might refuse to call me when they need MY help, since they don't need no help from a "dirty" heathen.

For that reason I keep it to myself when I'm around them. Some know, but quite a few don't. I just don't want to deal with the arguments that might arise. I figure I don't see em often so I'll just go along with the dinner prayers, and whatnot, and just be happy with em instead of wasting my time trying to explain to them how I can be religionless.

I don't know your family, but it's something to think about. My happy time with family outweighs my need to throw my atheism on the floor like a challenge.

I really appreciate all of you. That is exactly in my mind. I really don't care what others think but my family is everything to me and coming out as full atheist would hurt them. See even though we've come a long way from the Ottoman empire and the sheria law, some habits die hard and the word Atheist is one of them in my country. It is demonized word, you can believe on any made up God, even if you come out as a believer of Zeus you won't be criticized as you would if you tell them you are Atheist. Weird huh? Some people are very well educated here and they use logic instead of 1500 year old book but some are very narrow minded and unfortunately I have quite few of them in my family. Again thank you all for a warm welcome

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like izel's post
30-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Welcome! You must learn about our sacred goddess "Athe" and welcome her into your heart! Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
30-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Welcome Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
30-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Hoş geldiniz! I hope you enjoy yourself here.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post