Hi everyone (Ex Muslim)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2015, 07:00 PM
RE: Hi everyone (Ex Muslim)
Hello Izel,
Welcome aboard. I paid a visit to Turkey many years ago. A most beautiful country. I'm sure you'll feel at home here on the TTA forum.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
30-10-2015, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2015 09:20 PM by izel.)
(30-10-2015 06:52 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Hoş geldiniz! I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Hoş bulduk teşekkür ederim Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
31-10-2015, 02:53 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
31-10-2015, 04:11 AM
Hi and welcome Smile

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
31-10-2015, 04:20 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of reason. Sounds like you've been there for some time but are just now getting comfortable in your new skin. Everyone faces different circumstances, dangers and fears when they part ways with religion and god(s). It's important to find community that can support you in your decisions and foster courage, hope, joy, constructive feedback and options! You can find that here! We look forward to what you have to bring to the table! Smile

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
31-10-2015, 05:10 AM
(31-10-2015 04:20 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Welcome to the wonderful world of reason. Sounds like you've been there for some time but are just now getting comfortable in your new skin. Everyone faces different circumstances, dangers and fears when they part ways with religion and god(s). It's important to find community that can support you in your decisions and foster courage, hope, joy, constructive feedback and options! You can find that here! We look forward to what you have to bring to the table! Smile

The community of likeminded people is what brought me here Smile I'm sure there are plenty of people like me in my country but not many have the guts to come out in the open. With that said, there is no such a think as non-believers community around here, not that I know of anyway. This forum so far has been very educational and kinda feels like home already, who knew Atheists could be so warm and good people in general (Sarcasm) Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
31-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Welcome Izel and congratulations on removing the blindfold of faith. You have overcome quite a constrictive religion's ability to stifle your intelligence, and that deserves praise. If you have any questions, please let me know. Glad you found us.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
31-10-2015, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 08:12 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
When I came out as an atheist, I lost my family. Literally, my parents forbade me from living under their roof unless I attended their church. I was 17. Luckily, I was only a couple of months from going off to college on full scholarship, so I was able to live with my (college-aged) girlfriend until that happened. It took another five years before I regained contact with my siblings and parents, and it was almost as hostile then as it was, before; this time I was near to completing a degree in evolutionary biology, and they chose to deluge me with anti-evolution books and talk about my lack of morality-- mom even took to weeping for my hell-bound soul, right in front of me. When I started footnoting and annotating the errors in the books of Christian apologetics and anti-evolution nonsense they kept sending me, and mailing them back to them, I was hit by my entire set of relatives on that side of the family with barrages of questions like, "Why are you so angry?"

About this time I also lost a job because the boss (was working at the regional airport, fueling and parking passenger jets) found out from someone that I was an atheist, confronted me about it, and when I admitted what he'd heard was true, he said he had to let me go "because it's impossible to trust an atheist". No joke. It still makes me angry enough that I barely speak about it to this day; I was literally the only employee he had who was not in some way stealing from the company... I simply had decided not to rat out my fellow linemen. [Edit to Add: I needed that job to pay for flight school. I got free aircraft rental as long as I paid for the gas and instructor, as a perk of that job. I had completed my Private license and was working on my Commercial-Instrument. I never flew again.]

After the hostile exchanges with my parents and relatives, I again broke ties, and did not speak to them for another five years. I moved away from the most religious part of the USA (the "deep South") to the second-most-religious part of the country (the Midwest - not a great improvement). I went on to a successful career in field (riverine and riparian ecosystems) biology/biochem/enviro. In that time, my siblings also rejected Christianity... but they blamed me for "abandoning them" to that religious household, and they still hold a lot of anger about it and barely want contact with me to this day because to them I am a practical stranger.

My parents, nowdays, seem to have realized that they alienated their children by their religious fanaticism, and have moderated their tone quite a bit. Perhaps they have matured in their beliefs; who knows... I'm certainly not going to ask! Even so, my father's last visit to me included another discussion of atheism's supposed lack of moral basis. And my sibs seem to have no interest in rebuilding the relationship that religion destroyed.

I have much anger toward religion. I am convinced that, if there be a god(dess), (s)he must be very, very angry at the silly things we humans invent and call religion, claiming that the creator of a couple hundred billion galaxies of a hundred billion stars, each, is as nosy into our lives (especially our sex lives!), as jealous, as revenge-minded, as intolerant, and in general just as petty and flawed as we humans are. But I am not angry at God, whether this concept is something real or just imagined--obviously, I think it's the latter--because whatever constructs we humans build to imagine this God, it's unlikely to be truly descriptive of this ultimate being... and I'm really, REALLY sure that the version the Christians and ancient Hebrews have posited for us is not it. A worse god than Yahweh, I would be hard pressed to imagine. Perhaps Allah. Perhaps. But only because they're so similar (yet not the same, despite all the claims that they're the same guy!) in concept, and it's really now just a matter of which one gets credit for the greatest number of "barbaric, tyrannical, and murderous psychopath".

Congratulations on breaking your chains. Strengthen your skills at skepticism, and learn all the knowledge you can absorb; these are the best inoculation against the brain-destroying memetic virus that is religion.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
31-10-2015, 08:40 AM
(30-10-2015 05:13 PM)izel Wrote:  My name is Izel and I am 21 year old female from beautiful Izmir Turkey. Born and raised as Muslim, (modern muslim though) after I got into college I developed huge interest on science. I studied a lot about universe and evolution and I realized everything I been told growing up was a big fat lie. Even though we're very secular as a nation, leaving the religion is still a big no no in the society. I won't be publicly executed but I'm most likely to lose everyone I know in my life if I fully come out as atheist. My close family knows I am questioning my religion but I don't think they fully understand that I have completely parted my ways with God. Anyone that's in my situation, I'd appreciate if you share your story and how did you came out and what were the consequences. Thanks in advance.

I am so glad you got out from religion. I love seeing stories like this on here--especially from women, because religion is especially oppressive toward us.

I was a christian and I always had a hard time reconciling God is love to some of his horrific acts in the bible. I didn't understand his (or the church's) disgust and hate for same sex couples. I didn't like the morals I found in the Bible or in the church. I am fairly well educated and when I was a believer, I did what a lot of educated Christians do--which is to believe that God allowed evolution to happen. So for me, the morals of the Bible made me really start questioning. I expressed my concerns with my pastor and when I still pressed him for answers when he was dodging my questions and giving me half-assed answers, he got extremely terse and angry with me and pulled out the hell card. His (lack of) response was the best thing he could have done because it caused me to start looking for answers on my own in every scholarly book I could find. I found the answers to my questions and everything started to finally make sense--Religion is a lie.

My family and friends are mostly Catholic or Christian. I have a few spiritual/agnostic/atheist friends as well. The Catholics and Christians still act as though I am a Catholic/Christian and I think some of them think this is a phase since I used to be all about Jesus. Hobo Some of them still tell me to pray for so and so or say God Bless to me or God is wonderful or God is working in some fashion in my life. Some have pulled out the "You just want to sin freely" card and some simply just don't understand how I could just walk away from God and Jesus.

For me, I am much happier as an atheist. I love living in reality instead of woo.

Congrats again on getting out and living your life on your own terms!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
31-10-2015, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 08:59 AM by izel.)
(31-10-2015 08:01 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  When I came out as an atheist, I lost my family. Literally, my parents forbade me from living under their roof unless I attended their church. I was 17. Luckily, I was only a couple of months from going off to college on full scholarship, so I was able to live with my (college-aged) girlfriend until that happened. It took another five years before I regained contact with my siblings and parents, and it was almost as hostile then as it was, before; this time I was near to completing a degree in evolutionary biology, and they chose to deluge me with anti-evolution books and talk about my lack of morality-- mom even took to weeping for my hell-bound soul, right in front of me. When I started footnoting and annotating the errors in the books of Christian apologetics and anti-evolution nonsense they kept sending me, and mailing them back to them, I was hit by my entire set of relatives on that side of the family with barrages of questions like, "Why are you so angry?"

About this time I also lost a job because the boss (was working at the regional airport, fueling and parking passenger jets) found out from someone that I was an atheist, confronted me about it, and when I admitted what he'd heard was true, he said he had to let me go "because it's impossible to trust an atheist". No joke. It still makes me angry enough that I barely speak about it to this day; I was literally the only employee he had who was not in some way stealing from the company... I simply had decided not to rat out my fellow linemen. [Edit to Add: I needed that job to pay for flight school. I got free aircraft rental as long as I paid for the gas and instructor, as a perk of that job. I had completed my Private license and was working on my Commercial-Instrument. I never flew again.]

After the hostile exchanges with my parents and relatives, I again broke ties, and did not speak to them for another five years. I moved away from the most religious part of the USA (the "deep South") to the second-most-religious part of the country (the Midwest - not a great improvement). I went on to a successful career in field (riverine and riparian ecosystems) biology/biochem/enviro. In that time, my siblings also rejected Christianity... but they blamed me for "abandoning them" to that religious household, and they still hold a lot of anger about it and barely want contact with me to this day because to them I am a practical stranger.

My parents, nowdays, seem to have realized that they alienated their children by their religious fanaticism, and have moderated their tone quite a bit. Perhaps they have matured in their beliefs; who knows... I'm certainly not going to ask! Even so, my father's last visit to me included another discussion of atheism's supposed lack of moral basis. And my sibs seem to have no interest in rebuilding the relationship that religion destroyed.

I have much anger toward religion. I am convinced that, if there be a god(dess), (s)he must be very, very angry at the silly things we humans invent and call religion, claiming that the creator of a couple hundred billion galaxies of a hundred billion stars, each, is as nosy into our lives (especially our sex lives!), as jealous, as revenge-minded, as intolerant, and in general just as petty and flawed as we humans are. But I am not angry at God, whether this concept is something real or just imagined--obviously, I think it's the latter--because whatever constructs we humans build to imagine this God, it's unlikely to be truly descriptive of this ultimate being... and I'm really, REALLY sure that the version the Christians and ancient Hebrews have posited for us is not it. A worse god than Yahweh, I would be hard pressed to imagine. Perhaps Allah. Perhaps. But only because they're so similar (yet not the same, despite all the claims that they're the same guy!) in concept, and it's really now just a matter of which one gets credit for the greatest number of "barbaric, tyrannical, and murderous psychopath".

Congratulations on breaking your chains. Strengthen your skills at skepticism, and learn all the knowledge you can absorb; these are the best inoculation against the brain-destroying memetic virus that is religion.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story with me. I always thought United States was a bit more accepting or a bit more educated and alot more secular then we are here, but reading the stories in this website I find that I had been wrong. Very sorry to hear your strugle and what you have been thru, your story is my worse nightmare, literally my worse nightmare. I thought we are the only democratic or modern nation that thinks Atheist are bunch of satan worshipers and untrustworthy and evil but I'm very sorry to find out that I was wrong again. I remember in high school teacher lecturing us about evolution and the lecture always begun with "We do not believe this but" and that always made me think what the hell if we do not believe why are we wasting our time on it. And that was the first time I started reading about the evolution, it was my curiosity that got the best of me. In our own ways I suppose we are all rebels but not evil as religious claim. Anyway in my teens as I was questioning the creation vs evolution I stumbled upon a very popular author here in my country named Harun yahya, some of you may heard about him, he has quite few books about creation vs evolution http://www.harunyahya.com/list/type/1/na.../offset/2/ after reading few of the books I was convinced we (muslims) were right and God or Allah in our language does exist. But my curiosity did not stop there, and I was mortified that i'm going to hell forever and ever for having such a thoughts because Allah says i know whats in your mind, even though I never said it out loud, he knows what I'm thinking right? Anyway Smile it was when I got to collage and met with few science teachers and started educating my self on Universe and then it was very obvious that everything I have ever known was wrong and a lie. Growing up in a muslim country and a muslim parents its never easy to question God, few times I have tried they shut me up because first thing in Quran is do not question Gods work, always wondered why but never dared to ask. Even though my family is not very religious they would react very similar to yours because thats what the society expects from them. your child is a worshiper of satan and therefore you have to do what any honorable muslium would and disown her, if allowed by the law even kill her, because very much like Jesus Allah is very jealous and insecure as well if you guys did not know that already Smile. If it ever came down to that I dont think I can handle as well as some of you have.

I once again thank to each and every one of you for your warm welcome and your stories. You godless people inspire me Smile Heart you all...

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 6 users Like izel's post