Hi everyone (Ex Muslim)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2015, 09:50 AM
RE: Hi everyone (Ex Muslim)
(31-10-2015 08:55 AM)izel Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 08:01 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  When I came out as an atheist, I lost my family. Literally, my parents forbade me from living under their roof unless I attended their church. I was 17. Luckily, I was only a couple of months from going off to college on full scholarship, so I was able to live with my (college-aged) girlfriend until that happened. It took another five years before I regained contact with my siblings and parents, and it was almost as hostile then as it was, before; this time I was near to completing a degree in evolutionary biology, and they chose to deluge me with anti-evolution books and talk about my lack of morality-- mom even took to weeping for my hell-bound soul, right in front of me. When I started footnoting and annotating the errors in the books of Christian apologetics and anti-evolution nonsense they kept sending me, and mailing them back to them, I was hit by my entire set of relatives on that side of the family with barrages of questions like, "Why are you so angry?"

About this time I also lost a job because the boss (was working at the regional airport, fueling and parking passenger jets) found out from someone that I was an atheist, confronted me about it, and when I admitted what he'd heard was true, he said he had to let me go "because it's impossible to trust an atheist". No joke. It still makes me angry enough that I barely speak about it to this day; I was literally the only employee he had who was not in some way stealing from the company... I simply had decided not to rat out my fellow linemen. [Edit to Add: I needed that job to pay for flight school. I got free aircraft rental as long as I paid for the gas and instructor, as a perk of that job. I had completed my Private license and was working on my Commercial-Instrument. I never flew again.]

After the hostile exchanges with my parents and relatives, I again broke ties, and did not speak to them for another five years. I moved away from the most religious part of the USA (the "deep South") to the second-most-religious part of the country (the Midwest - not a great improvement). I went on to a successful career in field (riverine and riparian ecosystems) biology/biochem/enviro. In that time, my siblings also rejected Christianity... but they blamed me for "abandoning them" to that religious household, and they still hold a lot of anger about it and barely want contact with me to this day because to them I am a practical stranger.

My parents, nowdays, seem to have realized that they alienated their children by their religious fanaticism, and have moderated their tone quite a bit. Perhaps they have matured in their beliefs; who knows... I'm certainly not going to ask! Even so, my father's last visit to me included another discussion of atheism's supposed lack of moral basis. And my sibs seem to have no interest in rebuilding the relationship that religion destroyed.

I have much anger toward religion. I am convinced that, if there be a god(dess), (s)he must be very, very angry at the silly things we humans invent and call religion, claiming that the creator of a couple hundred billion galaxies of a hundred billion stars, each, is as nosy into our lives (especially our sex lives!), as jealous, as revenge-minded, as intolerant, and in general just as petty and flawed as we humans are. But I am not angry at God, whether this concept is something real or just imagined--obviously, I think it's the latter--because whatever constructs we humans build to imagine this God, it's unlikely to be truly descriptive of this ultimate being... and I'm really, REALLY sure that the version the Christians and ancient Hebrews have posited for us is not it. A worse god than Yahweh, I would be hard pressed to imagine. Perhaps Allah. Perhaps. But only because they're so similar (yet not the same, despite all the claims that they're the same guy!) in concept, and it's really now just a matter of which one gets credit for the greatest number of "barbaric, tyrannical, and murderous psychopath".

Congratulations on breaking your chains. Strengthen your skills at skepticism, and learn all the knowledge you can absorb; these are the best inoculation against the brain-destroying memetic virus that is religion.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story with me. I always thought United States was a bit more accepting or a bit more educated and alot more secular then we are here, but reading the stories in this website I find that I had been wrong. Very sorry to hear your strugle and what you have been thru, your story is my worse nightmare, literally my worse nightmare. I thought we are the only democratic or modern nation that thinks Atheist are bunch of satan worshipers and untrustworthy and evil but I'm very sorry to find out that I was wrong again. I remember in high school teacher lecturing us about evolution and the lecture always begun with "We do not believe this but" and that always made me think what the hell if we do not believe why are we wasting our time on it. And that was the first time I started reading about the evolution, it was my curiosity that got the best of me. In our own ways I suppose we are all rebels but not evil as religious claim. Anyway in my teens as I was questioning the creation vs evolution I stumbled upon a very popular author here in my country named Harun yahya, some of you may heard about him, he has quite few books about creation vs evolution http://www.harunyahya.com/list/type/1/na.../offset/2/ after reading few of the books I was convinced we (muslims) were right and God or Allah in our language does exist. But my curiosity did not stop there, and I was mortified that i'm going to hell forever and ever for having such a thoughts because Allah says i know whats in your mind, even though I never said it out loud, he knows what I'm thinking right? Anyway Smile it was when I got to collage and met with few science teachers and started educating my self on Universe and then it was very obvious that everything I have ever known was wrong and a lie. Growing up in a muslim country and a muslim parents its never easy to question God, few times I have tried they shut me up because first thing in Quran is do not question Gods work, always wondered why but never dared to ask. Even though my family is not very religious they would react very similar to yours because thats what the society expects from them. your child is a worshiper of satan and therefore you have to do what any honorable muslium would and disown her, if allowed by the law even kill her, because very much like Jesus Allah is very jealous and insecure as well if you guys did not know that already Smile. If it ever came down to that I dont think I can handle as well as some of you have.

I once again thank to each and every one of you for your warm welcome and your stories. You godless people inspire me Smile Heart you all...

If you need or desire more information or validation of evolution, RocketSurgeon76, myself, and many others on here are well versed in the subject. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
31-10-2015, 11:14 AM
(31-10-2015 09:50 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  If you need or desire more information or validation of evolution, RocketSurgeon76, myself, and many others on here are well versed in the subject. Thumbsup

I'm well educated on evolution, well maybe not as much as you guys but well enough not to believe on fairy tales lets just put it that way Smile But I know who to reach out if I have any questions. Very much appreciate it Thumbsup

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
31-10-2015, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 02:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-10-2015 06:10 PM)izel Wrote:  I really don't care what others think but my family is everything to me and coming out as full atheist would hurt them.

I never called myself an atheist or questioned God or criticized my family's faith or religion. Around 16 yo I told them "Any promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is utter and complete bullshit." That's it. 45 years later and they're still slack-jawed. Dunno why people take surviving their own death as a given. A shitload of religions implode by just questioning that.

When my family asked if that meant I was an atheist I responded "All this talk of God is premature if you surviving your own death is fundamental to your religion. Explain that first and then maybe we can talk about God."

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Merhaba ve hoşgeldin izel!

I've never heard or seen your home city before so looked up some google images it looks like a interesting city. A lot of old and beautiful Ruins. But what is this?

[Image: 11-Murat-Germen-Muta-morphosis-83-Izmir-...tanbul.jpg]

It looks like Rio.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
31-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Wow... just did an image search. That really is an amazingly beautiful city! I always hear about Istanul, never about Izmir.

What a travesty! I think Istanbul pales by comparison, from the images I'm seeing.

Whatever CS just discovered, it doesn't look like it fits with the rest of the architecture. Izmir looks to me like a blend of the best parts of Copenhagen and Sydney.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
31-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Izmir is a crown jewel of Turkey (so we like to claim) those from Istanbul may disagree. I love Istanbul i think its a beautiful city but I would never wanna live there. Too crowded 17 million population most countries in Europe don't have that, so that makes it very noisy day and night. Izmir is a bit more quite, its an 8500 year old ancient city so there are a lot of ruins here. Most people don't believe the world is that old but my city is hahaha. There is a lot of good and bad here too though but to me its home Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 6 users Like izel's post
31-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Welcome and peas be upon you. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-10-2015, 06:40 PM
(31-10-2015 01:40 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Wow... just did an image search.

So did I. I found one that I think might be the public transport system...

[Image: 373178468_07f232586c.jpg]

Sorry.

Lame Aladdin joke ... I couldn't resist.

Blush

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
31-10-2015, 08:39 PM
(31-10-2015 06:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 01:40 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Wow... just did an image search.

So did I. I found one that I think might be the public transport system...

[Image: 373178468_07f232586c.jpg]

Sorry.

Lame Aladdin joke ... I couldn't resist.

Blush

Hahaha Aladdin is not Turkish though Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
31-10-2015, 09:03 PM
(31-10-2015 08:55 AM)izel Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 08:01 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  When I came out as an atheist, I lost my family. Literally, my parents forbade me from living under their roof unless I attended their church. I was 17. Luckily, I was only a couple of months from going off to college on full scholarship, so I was able to live with my (college-aged) girlfriend until that happened. It took another five years before I regained contact with my siblings and parents, and it was almost as hostile then as it was, before; this time I was near to completing a degree in evolutionary biology, and they chose to deluge me with anti-evolution books and talk about my lack of morality-- mom even took to weeping for my hell-bound soul, right in front of me. When I started footnoting and annotating the errors in the books of Christian apologetics and anti-evolution nonsense they kept sending me, and mailing them back to them, I was hit by my entire set of relatives on that side of the family with barrages of questions like, "Why are you so angry?"

About this time I also lost a job because the boss (was working at the regional airport, fueling and parking passenger jets) found out from someone that I was an atheist, confronted me about it, and when I admitted what he'd heard was true, he said he had to let me go "because it's impossible to trust an atheist". No joke. It still makes me angry enough that I barely speak about it to this day; I was literally the only employee he had who was not in some way stealing from the company... I simply had decided not to rat out my fellow linemen. [Edit to Add: I needed that job to pay for flight school. I got free aircraft rental as long as I paid for the gas and instructor, as a perk of that job. I had completed my Private license and was working on my Commercial-Instrument. I never flew again.]

After the hostile exchanges with my parents and relatives, I again broke ties, and did not speak to them for another five years. I moved away from the most religious part of the USA (the "deep South") to the second-most-religious part of the country (the Midwest - not a great improvement). I went on to a successful career in field (riverine and riparian ecosystems) biology/biochem/enviro. In that time, my siblings also rejected Christianity... but they blamed me for "abandoning them" to that religious household, and they still hold a lot of anger about it and barely want contact with me to this day because to them I am a practical stranger.

My parents, nowdays, seem to have realized that they alienated their children by their religious fanaticism, and have moderated their tone quite a bit. Perhaps they have matured in their beliefs; who knows... I'm certainly not going to ask! Even so, my father's last visit to me included another discussion of atheism's supposed lack of moral basis. And my sibs seem to have no interest in rebuilding the relationship that religion destroyed.

I have much anger toward religion. I am convinced that, if there be a god(dess), (s)he must be very, very angry at the silly things we humans invent and call religion, claiming that the creator of a couple hundred billion galaxies of a hundred billion stars, each, is as nosy into our lives (especially our sex lives!), as jealous, as revenge-minded, as intolerant, and in general just as petty and flawed as we humans are. But I am not angry at God, whether this concept is something real or just imagined--obviously, I think it's the latter--because whatever constructs we humans build to imagine this God, it's unlikely to be truly descriptive of this ultimate being... and I'm really, REALLY sure that the version the Christians and ancient Hebrews have posited for us is not it. A worse god than Yahweh, I would be hard pressed to imagine. Perhaps Allah. Perhaps. But only because they're so similar (yet not the same, despite all the claims that they're the same guy!) in concept, and it's really now just a matter of which one gets credit for the greatest number of "barbaric, tyrannical, and murderous psychopath".

Congratulations on breaking your chains. Strengthen your skills at skepticism, and learn all the knowledge you can absorb; these are the best inoculation against the brain-destroying memetic virus that is religion.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story with me. I always thought United States was a bit more accepting or a bit more educated and alot more secular then we are here, but reading the stories in this website I find that I had been wrong. Very sorry to hear your strugle and what you have been thru, your story is my worse nightmare, literally my worse nightmare. I thought we are the only democratic or modern nation that thinks Atheist are bunch of satan worshipers and untrustworthy and evil but I'm very sorry to find out that I was wrong again. I remember in high school teacher lecturing us about evolution and the lecture always begun with "We do not believe this but" and that always made me think what the hell if we do not believe why are we wasting our time on it. And that was the first time I started reading about the evolution, it was my curiosity that got the best of me. In our own ways I suppose we are all rebels but not evil as religious claim. Anyway in my teens as I was questioning the creation vs evolution I stumbled upon a very popular author here in my country named Harun yahya, some of you may heard about him, he has quite few books about creation vs evolution http://www.harunyahya.com/list/type/1/na.../offset/2/ after reading few of the books I was convinced we (muslims) were right and God or Allah in our language does exist. But my curiosity did not stop there, and I was mortified that i'm going to hell forever and ever for having such a thoughts because Allah says i know whats in your mind, even though I never said it out loud, he knows what I'm thinking right? Anyway Smile it was when I got to collage and met with few science teachers and started educating my self on Universe and then it was very obvious that everything I have ever known was wrong and a lie. Growing up in a muslim country and a muslim parents its never easy to question God, few times I have tried they shut me up because first thing in Quran is do not question Gods work, always wondered why but never dared to ask. Even though my family is not very religious they would react very similar to yours because thats what the society expects from them. your child is a worshiper of satan and therefore you have to do what any honorable muslium would and disown her, if allowed by the law even kill her, because very much like Jesus Allah is very jealous and insecure as well if you guys did not know that already Smile. If it ever came down to that I dont think I can handle as well as some of you have.

I once again thank to each and every one of you for your warm welcome and your stories. You godless people inspire me Smile Heart you all...

The U.S varies a lot depending on your location, and perhaps your luck. I've never run into any real problems being atheist, and I've been in the military most of my adult life. Some have openly and angrily expressed their disapproval, but in my case it never went beyond a personal level. We'll bicker at each other and toss insults back and forth in a way that is both hostile and friendly (a style of communication only other military people usually understand Tongue), then there will be work and we'll get it done, then we'll go back to bickering at each other.

I grew up going to church, but regardless I wouldn't say my family was crazy religious. I never felt the need to express my atheism because they weren't forcing me to do anything I minded. There were free cookies at church, and we always went out for breakfast afterwards. I considered myself atheist from the time I was around 12, but never bothered mentioning it to anyone until I was 18 and in basic training. Again, there was disapproval, but it was never a big problem. I'm also not the type to attack anyone for their beliefs (actions are a different story, and a different conversation), as I don't feel any more threatened by religion than I do by all the other cultural bullshit I have to pretend to be a part of in order to fit in. I don't view my atheism as self defining as many people do, and if the situation calls for it I don't mind playing the religious game in the slightest. I'm actually pretty good at leading prayers lol.
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post