• 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
RE: Hi everyone (Ex Muslim)
Welcome to the forum.Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2015, 09:07 PM
(30-10-2015 05:13 PM)izel Wrote:  My name is Izel and I am 21 year old female from beautiful Izmir Turkey. Born and raised as Muslim, (modern muslim though) after I got into college I developed huge interest on science. I studied a lot about universe and evolution and I realized everything I been told growing up was a big fat lie. Even though we're very secular as a nation, leaving the religion is still a big no no in the society. I won't be publicly executed but I'm most likely to lose everyone I know in my life if I fully come out as atheist. My close family knows I am questioning my religion but I don't think they fully understand that I have completely parted my ways with God. Anyone that's in my situation, I'd appreciate if you share your story and how did you came out and what were the consequences. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TTA.

As I have always been an atheist, I don't have any advice for you. Sorry.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Welcome izel. I hear you about family being important. I am coming out as an atheist slowly with friends and family. I've been careful with whom I tell in my family though because some are very religious and I am not sure they would cope well. Hope to hear more from you here. I think you will bring a really interesting perspective.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
02-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
02-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Welcome!

I found this place when I first deconverted. It's a great place to blow off steam about religious stupidity, especially when you're stuck in the closet. I live in the southern USA - it's very religious. I am out to a small handful of friends and family members. I have a lot to lose if I were to come out most of my relatives - my parents have no idea, and if they did, I would most likely lose support with my son (meaning I would see him even less than I already do). I came out to my now ex husband in May of 2014. We separated January 1 of this year.

Coworkers and people I run into in public - I have no problem telling them I'm an atheist should the topic come up.

The pics for a laugh at religion is a great thread to browse. It helped me overcome the indoctrinated fear of blasphemy. Not to mention it's quite entertaining.

Glad you found us!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post