Hi from Australia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi from Australia
Hi everyone. I was born into a Christian home- my parents are both ministers. My mum says I was a born sceptic as when I was 3 years old everyone sat down for grace before the meal and I firmly told them 'Can't see, won't pray!'

I was lucky because my parents always took the approach of being open in their faith, giving us kids a firm foundation of what they believed, but when we got older told us that they couldn't carry our beliefs for us and if we believed in God it would be something we needed to come to for ourselves. I'll always be grateful for their desire for us to think for ourselves. Then in school I studied philosophy and a whole new world opened up. Genetics, ethics, euthanasia, abortion, questions about the mind/soul, etc. For the first time it wasn't enough to just have an opinion, but I had to know WHY I had that opinion. So if I believed in God I had to actually know why.

Even so, I'm sorry to disappoint but I've ended up firmly in the believer camp. but don't worry, I come in peace! I promise my parents are the only preachers in the family. I'm here because I enjoy learning what other people have to say, what arguments are used, and how people view my own beliefs because it challenges me to never be one of those mindless people who only believe what they're told rather than going after it themselves. What's the point of saying you believe something if you don't understand why you don't believe it?

Anyway sorry about the long intro, I've enjoyed reading some of these threads before as a guest and look forward to dipping into the conversation now and then
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Yasmin's post
14-10-2013, 06:27 PM
RE: Hi from Australia
Hi. Welcome fellow Aussie .
So what category believer are you .? I presume its Christian based.

A: God》bang》evolution
B: God》7day creation》 fuzzy evolution
C: God》 creation 》 no evolution

All my close friends are Christian. But differ into the above catagories so im not baiting you. .

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
14-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Well that's a tough one. I'm definitely not a literal 7 day creationist, and I would say that the bang/creation step would rank pretty much on the same level with me. If I had to choose, then A would be the closest, but not an exact match. What do you mean by 'fuzzy evolution'?

Also, you've actually brought up something I've been looking for on this forum, which is whether faith (in any supernatural being/force/power) deserves to always be seen as cancelling out science. Everyone can appreciate and understand the HOW of nature without having to force our views on the WHY of it.
14-10-2013, 08:10 PM
(14-10-2013 07:51 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  Also, you've actually brought up something I've been looking for on this forum, which is whether faith (in any supernatural being/force/power) deserves to always be seen as cancelling out science. Everyone can appreciate and understand the HOW of nature without having to force our views on the WHY of it.

We'd have to be talking more precise definitions of a "supernatural being/force/power". I don't think that a faith in such a thing would necessarily cancel out science in the least.

However, if what we observe of the natural world through science is believed to be effected by such an entity, you have to quantify it for it to have any meaning whatsoever. In quantifying it, you have to ascribe characteristics to it.

I have no problem accepting that there may some external force or entity that is responsible for the universe. However, it has never been observed to have any direct interaction with the world, so what is the point in faith?

If one believes there is an entity responsible for it all, yet doesn't believe that it has anything to do with the outcome of the world or any afterlife, how is that person any different from an atheist?

Welcome to the forum! Thumbsup

edit: good topic for a thread, you should start it!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Welcome.

Perhaps in a the future you could talk about the influence (or not) of your education and other external factors?

I noticed you say God rather than Allah or Shiva etc.

This intrigues me.

I hope to read more about it in future threads.

Again, welcome aboard.

14-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Wink RE: Hi from Australia
(14-10-2013 07:51 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  Well that's a tough one. I'm definitely not a literal 7 day creationist, and I would say that the bang/creation step would rank pretty much on the same level with me. If I had to choose, then A would be the closest, but not an exact match.

That's good to hear, we can make headway with that : Muhahahaha..

Although group A are the (most rational) least fun to argue with,

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
14-10-2013, 11:09 PM
There are plenty of Australians on the board. Welcome. You might get a bit of discussion in this thread on your beliefs, but I suspect it might be best to cover that in one or more separate threads elsewhere. Is there more you would like to tell us about yourself in this thread separate to your theism? What are your interests? What do you do for fun?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
16-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-10-2013, 02:08 AM
(14-10-2013 07:51 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  Also, you've actually brought up something I've been looking for on this forum, which is whether faith (in any supernatural being/force/power) deserves to always be seen as cancelling out science. Everyone can appreciate and understand the HOW of nature without having to force our views on the WHY of it.

Inclusion of extraneous variables is without bound. Tongue

So, yeah. And there ain't no why. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-10-2013, 03:32 AM
Welcome. It's pleasing to hear your parents didn't force beliefs onto you.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious