Hi from Germany

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2013, 03:29 PM
RE: Hi from Germany
Hi Lolilla, the link you provided was an advertisement for a book full of created fantasy, designed to make people think there is something magical about another book, the qur'an.

If someone tells you that there is magic or unexplained supernatural power of any kind, they are probably trying to trick you because they have some reason to do so. Chances are, someone will try to get you to believe something - anything - in order to use this belief to control some aspect of your life.

Think about it; if a book really is magical, every copy of it would simply float around the room... or one could at least expect it to. Also, a magical book wouldn't need to be so desperately advertised, would it?

Stuff like this is confusing because it's designed to be confusing... it appeals to common vulnerabilities and it can also appeal to our very human instinct to think and reason.

Be confident that reason and logic can help you decide who might be trying to use you. Reason and logic can protect you from anyone who would try to control you for their own purpose. Confusing things like this should only make you ever more alert that there are people out there who may want to exploit you, for whatever reason.

You seem smart - I hope you stick around and learn more. This is an international forum so, you will get a lot of different perspectives.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome! This seems to be a great place Wink.

So am I right thinking that in your opinion this is just random coincidence and does not prove anything? Well, anyway, there are other nice coincidences outside of religious literatur which is funny, too, I think. Do you know the Lincoln-Kennedy thing? That made me laugh.

P.S.: I hope my English is tolerable! I think I learned most of it by watching Doctor Who. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Lolilla's post
08-05-2013, 02:07 PM
(08-05-2013 12:17 PM)Lolilla Wrote:  Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome! This seems to be a great place Wink.

So am I right thinking that in your opinion this is just random coincidence and does not prove anything? Well, anyway, there are other nice coincidences outside of religious literatur which is funny, too, I think. Do you know the Lincoln-Kennedy thing? That made me laugh.

P.S.: I hope my English is tolerable! I think I learned most of it by watching Doctor Who. Big Grin

You've got to be careful with words like "random coincidence". Especially around religious types Wink

I haven't checked out the link because I've come into contact with this stuff before, and also because I don't want to waste my time Smile

Theists who want you to believe something tend to write compelling sounding stuff, sometimes. It can sound entirely reasonable. The difference between religious thought and critical thinking tends to be that religious thought emphasizes *faith* and not *questioning*.

In reality, if they were so confident it was true, they would not need to defend it so vigorously. After all, though science is great, even the greatest scientific controversies don't result in entire industries with websites and buildings and PR departments devoted to supporting one side or the other - we know that eventually the tests will win out and it will become obvious which theory is closer to the truth. Religion is different. They're peddling a product, and they have to sell it.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]
08-05-2013, 02:36 PM
(08-05-2013 02:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  You've got to be careful with words like "random coincidence". Especially around religious types Wink

I haven't checked out the link because I've come into contact with this stuff before, and also because I don't want to waste my time Smile

So this means you think it is bullshit, right? But to be honest I haven't understood why I have to be careful with words like "random coincidences"!
08-05-2013, 02:52 PM
(08-05-2013 02:36 PM)Lolilla Wrote:  So this means you think it is bullshit, right?
Correct.

Quote:But to be honest I haven't understood why I have to be careful with words like "random coincidences"!

Because... well for example one of the Christian creationist's favourite things to say is stuff like "Evolution says that everything just got here by random chance" which sounds kinda far-fetched, and if evolution did actually say this it would be a pretty useless theory.

They like to say such things because then something like "Well, creation by a creator makes a lot more sense then, doesn't it ?" sounds a lot more plausible by contrast to the stupid theory of evolution.
08-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Point of fact, coincidence is just coincidence - it really has no meaning. Oh certainly, there are some fun ones out there - like all the Lincoln - Kennedy stuff - but those same kind of things happen all the time and still, they mean nothing... unless someone wants you to think they mean something.

Here's a true coincidence but no matter how cool it might be...
Two men who's life's work and inspiration would have a profound impact on the world, were born on the same day February 12, 1809.

Abraham Lincoln
Charles Darwin
... it means nothing

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
08-05-2013, 11:51 PM
(08-05-2013 11:40 PM)kim Wrote:  Point of fact, coincidence is just coincidence - it really has no meaning. Oh certainly, there are some fun ones out there - like all the Lincoln - Kennedy stuff - but those same kind of things happen all the time and still, they mean nothing... unless someone wants you to think they mean something.

Here's a true coincidence but no matter how cool it might be...
Two men who's life's work and inspiration would have a profound impact on the world, were born on the same day February 12, 1809.

Abraham Lincoln
Charles Darwin
... it means nothing

Sez you.Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Here you go Lord Erxy - the crazy christee coincidence code;

Coincidences mean whatever you want them to mean and say whatever you want them to say...

The Beginning
1 In the bEginning God creAted the heavens and The earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darknesS was over tHe surface of the deep, and the SpIrit of God was hovering over The waters.

Erxy --> Sadcryface2 Laughat <-- Kim

[+] 3 users Like kim's post
14-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Welcome![/align]

[Image: vjp09.gif]