Hi from Virginia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: Hi from Virginia
(27-02-2016 04:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Judy, Judy, Judy.
Welcome to the insane asylum.
We love it here.... hope you will too.

(My sis is a school admin out there in your fine state).
My sympathy about being so close to Liberty ... now THAT is a nut house.

Thanks for the welcome. I already love it here Smile Yeah - Liberty is indeed a nut house. Straaaange place...
Judy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2016, 10:23 PM
(27-02-2016 04:43 PM)cactus Wrote:  Welcome Smile
The freethought community is my escape to the real world, too. Cool
I hope the school kids aren't getting too nosy and asking about your "faith."

Thanks for the welcome Smile Luckily I teach music at an EXTREMELY liberal reform synagogue, and the kids absolutely never ask about faith. The religious school focuses on cultural aspects of Judaism, and stresses good values, such as tolerance, respect for others, kindness, trying to make the world a better place in any way one can. The kids are taught that the Torah is just a bunch of stories/myths.
Judy
[+] 1 user Likes jariel's post
27-02-2016, 10:24 PM
(27-02-2016 04:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hi from College Park, MD.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h328...bear_1.gif

Hi! Smile
Judy
27-02-2016, 10:25 PM
(27-02-2016 04:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 03:42 PM)jariel Wrote:  Hello, all! I'm an agnostic/freethinker who just happens to live in Lynchburg, Virginia, shoutin' distance from Liberty University. I'm culturally Jewish, but don't buy into one iota of Judaism's religious aspects. The music is gorgeous, though. I teach the kids music at Lynchburg's synagogue's religious school. I live in an apartment building for low-income senior citizens, and of the 75 tenants, 74 of them are evangelical Christians. Although this is a HUD-funded building, 99.999 percent of the activities held here are evangelical-Christian -based - i.e. worship services 4 times a week. Drives me nuts! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ryface.gif I'd move if I could, but I don't have any family, and I live on a very small amount of disability. Luckily I have freethinking friends outside of this apartment building, and it makes me very happy that I can reach out to more atheists/agnostics/freethinkers on the Internet. Warm wishes to all of you. Smile
Judy

Welcome!

Feel free to jump into any conversations that interest you, or create your own!

Thanks for the welcome Smile
Judy
27-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Hello Judy.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-02-2016, 12:23 AM
(27-02-2016 11:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hello Judy.

Hi, Banjo Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jariel's post
28-02-2016, 01:10 AM
Hello! Big Grin
28-02-2016, 02:38 AM
Hello!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-02-2016, 12:55 PM
(27-02-2016 10:23 PM)jariel Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 04:43 PM)cactus Wrote:  Welcome Smile
The freethought community is my escape to the real world, too. Cool
I hope the school kids aren't getting too nosy and asking about your "faith."

Thanks for the welcome Smile Luckily I teach music at an EXTREMELY liberal reform synagogue, and the kids absolutely never ask about faith. The religious school focuses on cultural aspects of Judaism, and stresses good values, such as tolerance, respect for others, kindness, trying to make the world a better place in any way one can. The kids are taught that the Torah is just a bunch of stories/myths.
Judy

Interesting. What kind of music do your kids do ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-02-2016, 07:27 PM
(28-02-2016 12:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 10:23 PM)jariel Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome Smile Luckily I teach music at an EXTREMELY liberal reform synagogue, and the kids absolutely never ask about faith. The religious school focuses on cultural aspects of Judaism, and stresses good values, such as tolerance, respect for others, kindness, trying to make the world a better place in any way one can. The kids are taught that the Torah is just a bunch of stories/myths.
Judy

Interesting. What kind of music do your kids do ?

Well, we concentrate on culturally Hebrew and Hebrew/Jewish songs, some older, some contemporary, with excellent musical value, songs that teach the kids about the Jewish culture, and, most importantly, that the kids will enjoy singing. We are fortunate to have a musically talented group of kids (only 12 of them, ages 5-15 - only one small synagogue here in Lynchburg, Virginia) who love their music class and sing their hearts out Smile Smile - in harmony, no less!