Hi from a curious guy!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2017, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 05:07 PM by ethos.)
Lightbulb Hi from a curious guy!
Hey, everybody!

Well, I've stumbled upon your site and decided to join.
Why? You see, I've spent my life up to now (I'm 26) experimenting with actually believing in God and trying to follow the faith... It worked, it works, but you see, you can't really look at yourself and your beliefs realistically while communicating only with people who are like you. So, I believe if both sides are respectful to each other, discussing on such a subject might turn out to be quite interesting!

Anyhow, why join ? Perhaps out of curiosity, perhaps out of my increasing laziness to follow my faith - you see, its quite difficult to follow the Orthodox faith, its fasts and self-belittlement. It sure is easier to use only your mind, embrace rationality, the nonexistence of anything non-material and attribute the whole fuss of belief to one's "over inflated ego". But also I am really curious to know more about your worldview(s). And mostly - I don't consider myself as someone that is sure to know everything, quite the contrary actually - thus - I permit myself of admitting "the other side" being right.

We are all searching. I hope!

Anyhow. Enough about me (or ? ) , I'll be browsing around. I do have some questions, but I will wait with them as they are quite massive.

Greets!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like ethos's post
11-10-2017, 05:08 PM
RE: Hi from a curious guy!
Welcome, we'll be as respectful to you as you are to us.

Interesting discussion is highly encouraged here.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
11-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Hey! I used to be (vaguely) Eastern Orthodox when I was religious.

Still like the music and the churches and monasteries we have.

[Image: 1KRU32088-2S-575x382.jpg]

(Of course, this guy was a world-renowned, classically trained bass, so...)

Did the fasts no problem. The self-belittlement (and not just of myself, but humanity in general) was one of the major reasons I'm here now Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
11-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Welcome.

Please take a few minutes to read about our Forum Principles & Culture, Ethics and Behavior, it’ll help you with your stay here.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-10-2017, 05:15 PM
I have never been religious, so I view all religions with equal disdain.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Hey, everybody! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Pablo, where would you recommend me to start? I browsed a bit, but I am mainly interested in "exchanging ideas" as you say...

We may come from the same country, Vera. But lets keep our guesses for ourselves for now if you like! Wink

These are like the best forum rules I've seen. So, no deleting of threads? Wow!

I'll take that as a compliment, Gawdzilla Big Grin.
11-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Well, *my*country is pretty obvious to... well, everybody Wink Am yet to meet another Bulgarian on TTA though...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
11-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
11-10-2017, 05:36 PM
... yeah, lol ... silly me... Do you have, like, your own thread where you share a story or something about you? I'd be happy to know you more. Even though, you see, I need some time to be comfortable disclosing more about myself here, with time perhaps... But for now I will take the forum rather "philosophically" and write about ideas.
11-10-2017, 06:17 PM
(11-10-2017 05:36 PM)ethos Wrote:  ... yeah, lol ... silly me... Do you have, like, your own thread where you share a story or something about you? I'd be happy to know you more. Even though, you see, I need some time to be comfortable disclosing more about myself here, with time perhaps... But for now I will take the forum rather "philosophically" and write about ideas.

Welcome. In this section we only say hi. For conversations, just join in someplace else, or start your own in another section.

Try to get to know people a little and chat about other things in our lives before you discuss religion. That would be my advice.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man