Hi from a curious guy!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2017, 08:54 PM
RE: Hi from a curious guy!
Welcome! I hope you like it here as much as I do. Just be aware that on Wednesdays we wear pink. Are you wearing pink? If not, you can't sit with us.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2017, 08:55 PM
(11-10-2017 07:49 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Hello. Shy

If you had to pick a spirit animal, what'd be your pick? Just curious. Tongue

My spirit animal is a pink flamingo lawn ornament.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
12-10-2017, 12:47 AM
Welcome. You sound promising, so dont disappoint us. Big Grin Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
12-10-2017, 02:32 AM
Hello! Big Grin
12-10-2017, 02:34 AM
Hey there, welcome Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2017, 02:56 AM
Quote:Hi from a curious guy!

It's not that kind of website... or is it Wink

Welcome Smile

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
12-10-2017, 08:33 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-10-2017, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2017 10:03 AM by ethos.)
Wow everyone! I'm looking forward to knowing you more, its nice to read your colorful answers and trough them - know (some of) your personalities. They seem indeed "open" and prone to thinking ... Not like the ones you may find on religious forums. It even might have been a mistake not to have joined sooner! "Faith" subjects do interest me, however in the english speaking internet its rare to find a religion-related forum that doesn't have a ton of intrinsic regulations and taboos (an issue related to the local denominations). Usually you end up getting ignored if you don't follow the crowd's lingo... And I don't really know Orthodox (I prefer our term - "Rightglory" ) sites about religion, but then again I don't really need them.

So, thanks for the welcome, y'all!

Let me reply to some of you.

Disclaimer:
Bear with me, as a believer I may unintentionally use some terms from my faith when replying. Not using them will be hypocrisy though. I may imagine some of you get pimples (at least) just by hearing out a scant hint of a word related to faith... So, to those of you - go away now, or you get (at least) pimples !

(11-10-2017 06:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  Welcome. In this section we only say hi. For conversations, just join in someplace else, or start your own in another section.

Try to get to know people a little and chat about other things in our lives before you discuss religion. That would be my advice.
Hi, Dom! Sure, it has been ages since I've used any forum, I guess the mighty facebook habits of unrestrained conversational rampage do lurk in our subconsciousness. Yup, thats what I'll do... If we ever get to the religious questions Wink .

(11-10-2017 06:31 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Welcome to TTA. Smile

One word of advice: if you're looking to explore the "atheist worldview", don't bother: there is no such thing. Atheists are a very diverse population.
People have worldviews, and some of those people happen to be atheists. You'll likely find as many different world views among atheists as you will among the population at large.

If you doubt this, just take a quick cruise through one of the "gun control" threads. Big Grin

Well, of course there isn't any single, unified worldview! Every single person is like a universe, perhaps literally (physics, multiverses, Rick and Morty, you know...) ... Do you think that we have a single, unified worldview too? Sure, it might be difficult to find a Rightglory Christian believing in pink unicorns... Actually... That isn't true, I do believe in pink unicorns, I and I am not joking! I allow myself the possibility of them existing somewhere.

But anyhow, that is quite personal, you don't get asked about that, its within your heart!

Ok, will check some 'gun control' threads, I know in America thats quite the issue.

(11-10-2017 06:38 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Welcome.

Dr H is correct. We don't share worldviews or even nationalities. As a result we both agree and disagree on many subject's.

This is a virtue of being free. Dogma does not inhibbit our thoughts.

By all means have a look around. See if you can discover why so many theists fail here. Use their mistakes as a guide for What not to do.

Hi Banjo! Ok, I will try to make my dogma-inhibited and super-inflated egotistical (brainwashed) mind accept somehow, someday the fact that you all are free people and might, but just might, have a diverse and un-homogenuous, non-pasteurised worldview... Big Grin . And I'm dead serious when I speak about myself like that. By the way, if you have read my previous reply to Doctor H, you may discern that is precisely why I'm here - to get to know your personalities, to get a breath of fresh air! You may also discern that I am not interested in any "theist"'s posts here either (unless necessary) - I have stronger stuff at home Wink .

(11-10-2017 07:25 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 05:23 PM)ethos Wrote:  ...
These are like the best forum rules I've seen. So, no deleting of threads? Wow!

Girl_nails and I'll take that as a compliment... if you meant the structure and readability of the code of ethics / policies.

If you meant the principles and values themselves, I take no credit. Those came from the original group of members who wanted an 'as open as possible' forum for intelligent conversation and created a space that then evolved into a community.

I joined a christian forum recently (as a declared atheist) that had so many rules and sub-rules that I felt like I was walking on egg-shells for the short time I was there.

In my intro thread I got a couple of "as long as you don't proselytise" or "be nice to us and we'll be nice to you" replies.

I was tempted to ask how one can proselytise about an absence of something (beliefs) but resisted. I took it as an indicator of stuff that may have happened in the past, hence a defense mechanism.

It felt a little patronising - like walking into a pub and being told "we've had your sort in here before, so no trouble, alright?"

That's the nature of a community, in some respects.

(11-10-2017 05:36 PM)ethos Wrote:  ... yeah, lol ... silly me... Do you have, like, your own thread where you share a story or something about you? I'd be happy to know you more. Even though, you see, I need some time to be comfortable disclosing more about myself here, with time perhaps... But for now I will take the forum rather "philosophically" and write about ideas.

As it says at the top of the Introduction section: "This is a place for introductions and casual conversation" so by all means share (comfortably disclose more about yourself) here, if or when you feel ready to do so. No obligations.

Thumbsup

Hey, DLJ!
Oh, thats funny! What kind of christian would ever write "as long as you are nice to us we would be nice to you" stuff ?!

But you can't refuse to admit the intrinsic pleasure you get from being different in a crowd of similar people... And not by trying, but just by being! Btw, trying hard to be different of course makes you completely like the billions of other people trying to do the same. And just by being yourself you get to be real different. Oh dang, I got carried away! Anyhow. I of course agree with what you say about the nature of all communities... ! Drooling

So, did I mean the rules themselves or the way they were set out? Both. So you get to have another compliment Big Grin .

(11-10-2017 07:35 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 05:23 PM)ethos Wrote:  ...Pablo, where would you recommend me to start? I browsed a bit, but I am mainly interested in "exchanging ideas" as you say...

Pick a forum, Atheism and Theism for example, and you can either join a current thread or you can start your own that fits that catetegory.
Thumbsup

Yup.

(11-10-2017 07:45 PM)julep Wrote:  Welcome.

I'd suggest you post a question or two (as opposed to a bunch of questions) in the Atheism and Theism subforum. A good thread to consider is "ask some atheists."

Hey Julep! Sure thing, I guess we all like our discussions to unfold slowly

(11-10-2017 07:49 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Hello. Shy

If you had to pick a spirit animal, what'd be your pick? Just curious. Tongue

Puma, I would say. I don't know why. Actually, if you consider humans as animals, I'd rather be human - I like the things I can do here and now. (Can you imagine Big Grin)
[+] 1 user Likes ethos's post
12-10-2017, 09:40 AM
(11-10-2017 08:29 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 05:36 PM)ethos Wrote:  ... yeah, lol ... silly me... Do you have, like, your own thread where you share a story or something about you? I'd be happy to know you more. Even though, you see, I need some time to be comfortable disclosing more about myself here, with time perhaps... But for now I will take the forum rather "philosophically" and write about ideas.

Share your deconversion story (post 165)

So that's my story, but you'll find a lot of other stories on that thread.

Hi, TheInquisition! I've read your story. Quite the strong one. I am sorry for your spine, if you care about my apology, that is. I'll post there if I can soon, here I prefer to keep it neat.

(11-10-2017 08:54 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Welcome! I hope you like it here as much as I do. Just be aware that on Wednesdays we wear pink. Are you wearing pink? If not, you can't sit with us.

Oh Dang! Its already Thursday where I live in (see Vera's posts) . We are currently all in black, self-deprecating and mourning all day long.

(: Thanks, I already like it more than you do!

Btw, outathereligioncloset, your nick presupposes a heavy bias in your society, where not being a christian is a taboo. What!? Is there a thread that I can check out about that subject? I never heard of such a thing.

(12-10-2017 12:47 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Welcome. You sound promising, so dont disappoint us. Big Grin Tongue

I promise. Actually, wait - it depends on your notion of disappointment. The people I like always "disappointed" my expectations about them in a way or two.

(12-10-2017 02:56 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
Quote:Hi from a curious guy!

It's not that kind of website... or is it Wink

Welcome Smile

Oh, ain't you clever there... .Evil_monster >Smile
Thanks!
12-10-2017, 09:56 AM
(12-10-2017 09:40 AM)ethos Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 08:29 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Share your deconversion story (post 165)

So that's my story, but you'll find a lot of other stories on that thread.

Hi, TheInquisition! I've read your story. Quite the strong one. I am sorry for your spine, if you care about my apology, that is. I'll post there if I can soon, here I prefer to keep it neat.

(11-10-2017 08:54 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Welcome! I hope you like it here as much as I do. Just be aware that on Wednesdays we wear pink. Are you wearing pink? If not, you can't sit with us.

Oh Dang! Its already Thursday where I live in (see Vera's posts) . We are currently all in black, self-deprecating and mourning all day long.

(: Thanks, I already like it more than you do!

Btw, outathereligioncloset, your nick presupposes a heavy bias in your society, where not being a christian is a taboo. What!? Is there a thread that I can check out about that subject? I never heard of such a thing.

(12-10-2017 12:47 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Welcome. You sound promising, so dont disappoint us. Big Grin Tongue

I promise. Actually, wait - it depends on your notion of disappointment. The people I like always "disappointed" my expectations about them in a way or two.

(12-10-2017 02:56 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  It's not that kind of website... or is it Wink

Welcome Smile

Oh, ain't you clever there... .Evil_monster >Smile
Thanks!

Ok, so this is the intro section where we say hello. We don't get into discussions here, for that we have the entire rest of the forum. Looks like you are ready to take the plunge...see you around the forum. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man