Hi from a curious guy!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2017, 10:38 AM
RE: Hi from a curious guy!
(12-10-2017 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, so this is the intro section where we say hello. We don't get into discussions here, for that we have the entire rest of the forum. Looks like you are ready to take the plunge...see you around the forum. Smile

Ok, doc! Smile
(I'd be happy to know people's answers though, be it in PM )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2017, 11:18 AM
(12-10-2017 10:38 AM)ethos Wrote:  
(12-10-2017 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, so this is the intro section where we say hello. We don't get into discussions here, for that we have the entire rest of the forum. Looks like you are ready to take the plunge...see you around the forum. Smile

Ok, doc! Smile
(I'd be happy to know people's answers though, be it in PM )

Why not start a thread and ask there?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-10-2017, 11:36 AM
(11-10-2017 04:58 PM)ethos Wrote:  Hey, everybody!

Well, I've stumbled upon your site and decided to join.
Why? You see, I've spent my life up to now (I'm 26) experimenting with actually believing in God and trying to follow the faith... It worked, it works, but you see, you can't really look at yourself and your beliefs realistically while communicating only with people who are like you. So, I believe if both sides are respectful to each other, discussing on such a subject might turn out to be quite interesting!

Anyhow, why join ? Perhaps out of curiosity, perhaps out of my increasing laziness to follow my faith - you see, its quite difficult to follow the Orthodox faith, its fasts and self-belittlement. It sure is easier to use only your mind, embrace rationality, the nonexistence of anything non-material and attribute the whole fuss of belief to one's "over inflated ego". But also I am really curious to know more about your worldview(s). And mostly - I don't consider myself as someone that is sure to know everything, quite the contrary actually - thus - I permit myself of admitting "the other side" being right.

We are all searching. I hope!

Anyhow. Enough about me (or ? ) , I'll be browsing around. I do have some questions, but I will wait with them as they are quite massive.

Greets!

Well, hi and welcome- thanks for joining. Hopefully you enjoy your stay!
12-10-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm somewhat dubious and very uneasy. Sad
But welcome I guess.
12-10-2017, 01:47 PM
There is no evidence that any of the gods invented by the fertile imagination of humans exists. This includes your god.

That said, enjoy your time here.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
12-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Hello there Smile

Get your own bleeding hymn book
12-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
12-10-2017, 02:59 PM
(12-10-2017 09:38 AM)ethos Wrote:  Disclaimer:
Bear with me, as a believer I may unintentionally use some terms from my faith when replying. Not using them will be hypocrisy though. I may imagine some of you get pimples (at least) just by hearing out a scant hint of a word related to faith... So, to those of you - go away now, or you get (at least) pimples !

No worries there, for me. How and why people have "faith" has fascinated me for at least as long as I've been an open atheist, which is most of my adult life. So long as you're rational and not hell-bent on converting me, I'm happy to discuss most anything. Though, should something strike me as silly or unreasonable, I'm not shy about saying so.

Yep, I think you starting a thread in the Atheism and Theism forum might be just the way to go. Thumbsup

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
12-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Welcome fellow theist!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Hello and welcome! Shai Hulud and I are the forum theists, and there's always plenty of room for another level-headed theist who appreciates diverse viewpoints from others. You seem to be off onto a good start here! I saw that you already noted to Julep that you'll get your feet wet slowly with the heavy stuff. That's a really good idea because all too often, theists come here and jump head first into the deep end and end up drowning after their first day.

I look forward to getting to know you a little better and hopefully having some interesting conversations in the near future.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post