Hi from a former Opus Dei member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 10:31 AM
RE: Hi from a former Opus Dei member
(31-03-2016 11:39 PM)Anka Wrote:  Meh, they don't have monks or nuns as their members, Escriva hated nuns, actually called them 'naive and stupid'. But corporal mortification is still practised in OD. By numeraries only. That's why they don't visit hospitals or ordinary doctors, they have their own doctors among numeraries who travel across the World to provide yearly health checks for other numeraries. I actually have never seen an old numerary or a numerary with health issues, wonder where they send themUnsure
Drat, something else the DaVinci Code got wrong. But that is super interesting about the numeraries and their own doctors who visit; plus the whole corporal punishment and not seeing old ones. Makes one ponder the effect on the immune system then...

(01-04-2016 10:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They might be able to drink the target dead.
This would seriously not surprise me, given the order's history brewing beer and such. (Plus I know a guy who is now a Brother with them who loves his booze...starts preaching when he's drunk too. Last time we were together he was shaking a mutual friend, while drunk, yelling to not let Satan win in his battle with Depression.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
03-04-2016, 03:02 PM
(30-03-2016 05:11 AM)Anka Wrote:  As I look back I can't understand how I got myself into joining this cult. The people there just seemed so nice and intelligent I just didn't notice anything disturbing at first.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It definitely sounds like you were preyed upon, which is how organizations such as this commonly operate.

I'm glad you made it out and that you're here! Welcome! Smile

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2016, 09:29 PM
(03-04-2016 03:02 PM)StrangestTribe Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 05:11 AM)Anka Wrote:  As I look back I can't understand how I got myself into joining this cult. The people there just seemed so nice and intelligent I just didn't notice anything disturbing at first.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It definitely sounds like you were preyed upon, which is how organizations such as this commonly operate.

I'm glad you made it out and that you're here! Welcome! Smile

She was prayed upon Tongue By an organisation of pradators...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-09-2017, 06:13 AM
Hi Anna, thank you for your long and very personal post. I also live in Moscow and I am former numerary: I spent three years with the Work about 20years ago. It eas not in Russia of course. I see that syrictly nothing has changed...only in mu times a numerary boy like me could never talk on any occasion to any girl from the Work... or any girl at all almost...

What strikes me is that they seem to make no adjustments to Russian realities... life is so different in Moscow compared to normal countries...

I left in good terms with the Work...as I must admit I over all liked my experience... then only trouble being that after three years there I basicly lost my faith, strictly speaking... I could not pray at all by the end... although after few years of beathing it out, I came back to regular practice. Fortunately I knew how to live alone and spend 10 following years living alone, doing my shirts my self while rrying to do it as well as the Administration...

So life does get better... But it takes time... for every year in the Work, you need about five years to breath it out.

If you need any help or advise, just drop me a line.
[+] 3 users Like Libratius's post
04-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
04-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Anna, your English is excellent and your story is fascinating. Welcome!

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Welcome Libratius, this thread was last replied to in April of 2016 so you probably won't get a reply from the OP.
11-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Wow. And I remember when I thought just being Russian Orthodox (my mom's family upbringing) was a cult.

Welcome to TTA. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."