Hi from a former fundamentalist turned Quaker turned atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Hi from a former fundamentalist turned Quaker turned atheist
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself since I've been lurking for a week or so. Mostly I've been lurking in the Recovering from Religion thread because that's what brought me here in the first place.

As much as I might be embarrassed by it, I was involved in a fundamentalist/evangelical Christian church from 8 years old until my mid-twenties and eventually moved on to being a Quaker (after a long period of staying away from all religious bodies). However, the benefit of the liberal theology was really to open me up to becoming less and less Christian, realizing that the Bible was full of mythology, Jesus wasn't divine, and then a week or two ago I finally admitted to myself that I haven't really believed in God for quite a while. (FYI, I'm in my early 40's now). Not sure why it took me so long, other than the fact that indoctrination is a very powerful thing, but I'm sure I'll be sharing more of that in other forums.

Since then I've been devouring everything I could find by a bunch of atheist authors, especially those that deconverted. It's been so fantastic to not feel like the only person in the world who went down this path, and to feel like I can actually trust my brain instead of just "believing". The hard part is letting go of some communities and learning to live in a world where I'm actually seeing things as they are. It's good, but not always fun.

That's enough for now. I'm sure I'll have more to say in other forums, but thought I should at least delurk for now.

Thanks for being here!

Andy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like herdoturtles's post
13-01-2015, 04:21 PM
RE: Hi from a former fundamentalist turned Quaker turned atheist
(13-01-2015 03:55 PM)herdoturtles Wrote:  Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself since I've been lurking for a week or so. Mostly I've been lurking in the Recovering from Religion thread because that's what brought me here in the first place.

As much as I might be embarrassed by it, I was involved in a fundamentalist/evangelical Christian church from 8 years old until my mid-twenties and eventually moved on to being a Quaker (after a long period of staying away from all religious bodies). However, the benefit of the liberal theology was really to open me up to becoming less and less Christian, realizing that the Bible was full of mythology, Jesus wasn't divine, and then a week or two ago I finally admitted to myself that I haven't really believed in God for quite a while. (FYI, I'm in my early 40's now). Not sure why it took me so long, other than the fact that indoctrination is a very powerful thing, but I'm sure I'll be sharing more of that in other forums.

Since then I've been devouring everything I could find by a bunch of atheist authors, especially those that deconverted. It's been so fantastic to not feel like the only person in the world who went down this path, and to feel like I can actually trust my brain instead of just "believing". The hard part is letting go of some communities and learning to live in a world where I'm actually seeing things as they are. It's good, but not always fun.

That's enough for now. I'm sure I'll have more to say in other forums, but thought I should at least delurk for now.

Thanks for being here!

Andy

Welcome, congrats on delurking. And thanks for the new word. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
13-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Re: Hi from a former fundamentalist turned Quaker turned atheist
Welcome to TTA!
13-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Welcome to TTA. Smile

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
13-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Congratulations, Andy (herdoturtles). So many options open up once the reliance on oneself and on friends, rather than on an imaginary friend, becomes second nature. It will take time, but eventually it becomes possible to view the world in shades of gray and to enjoy people for who they are, rather than some idealized version set forth in ancient texts. I hope your change of philosophy is not too costly in terms of rejection by family and friends.

Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie, which we ascribe to heaven. --Shakespeare
13-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Welcome!
13-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Welcome!! Nothing to be embarrassed about, indoctrination is a tough thing to break. Congrats on doing so Thumbsup glad you've decided to join us.

Oh, and your username puts such delightful images in my head Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
14-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks, all, for the warm welcome! Big Grin

@Smercury44, my dad always used to say, "We're off like a herd of turtles!" when we went anywhere as a family, and I've always loved that goofy saying. Pretty much describes my progress on anything in life...

<sentimental and kind of depressing side note>
My dad's been dead for over 20 years now, and we didn't have a great relationship, but I know he would have been thrilled to know I finally gave up the religious crap and became an atheist, so I've been thinking about him a lot lately.
</sentimental and kind of depressing side note>

Andy
14-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Welcome to our community!

Just jump in wherever you're comfortable.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces