Hi from me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Hi from me
Hi,

I'm Andrew. I've been watching a lot of Youtube of Aron and Matt and Mr Dawkins and thought I should join a chat where I can discuss aspects of atheism.

I'm 57 and spent 35+ of those years as a Christian. I gradually turned to atheism over that time frame, finally letting go of religion about 5 years ago. With all of that investment, two of the hardest things I've had to say are, "I'm no longer a Christian," and then later, "I am an atheist."

At first it felt like a great loss. But soon I realized what I had gained and how my thinking had been liberated. I was no longer tied to rationalizing one against the other. And I also learned how trapped we can be when we believe a thing. We have to be right. We can't admit to not knowing or being wrong.

I used to see science as almost a conspirator against God. Now I am free to have a passion for science, without the religious taboos, and to rightly identify passion in scientists as a good thing.

Anyway.... I love to write, so my posts may at times be long, as this one could become. So please forgive any lack of brevity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like PhantomPilot's post
24-05-2015, 10:59 PM
RE: Hi from me
Reading that warms my cockles.

Welcome to TTA.

Smile

24-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Welcome.
24-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Welcome!
24-05-2015, 11:44 PM
First time I realized I was an atheist - not just skeptical or spiritual or whatever else that wasn't mainstream Christianity - was right at a year ago.

It is certainly liberating. Welcome to TTA!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
25-05-2015, 03:00 AM
Welcome aboard! Smile

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
25-05-2015, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. Smile

Age 57. Ex-Christian of over 35 years. Living in Melbourne Australia. Educator, writer, pilot, drone pilot and solitaire addict. My next sig-line will be more creative. ;-)
25-05-2015, 05:39 AM
Welcome from an "old school" RC pilot.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-05-2015, 06:09 AM
If you love to write you've landed in the right place. Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
13-09-2015, 11:42 PM
Welcome aboard the forum buddy, have a great stay here.