Hi from overseas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Smile Hi from overseas
My name is John and I live in Gothenburg in Sweden. I have been a fan of Seth's for maybe the past year or two (found him and the Thinking Atheist thru his videos on Youtube), and have been a full out atheist for maybe a year earlier. Before that I was a closet atheist, calling myself an agnostic or a seeker, even though I haven't had a God belief since I was ten and left (refused to go to) Sunday School. My seeking started after that, and I have "been" (in theory, or as a philosophy) both a Buddhist, a Taoist, and a gnostic since then. I also teach religion in high school, mostly because I spent much of my time in University taking classes in Religious studies because of my searching for answers, and trying to understand religious behaviour in others. And also because it's fun!
I mostly have Matt Dillahunty to thank for my coming out as an atheist (sorry Seth), after watching his Atheist Experience show. I am sad to say that I was an Asharya S (Sun of God theory, as presented in the first Zeitgeist movie) fan before that, but after being rudely snapped off by her in a couple of responses to "questioning" or inquisitive emails from me, I started to search for better answers (or answerers , if that is even a word), and found Matt, and also Hitchens and Dawkins of course.
Living in Sweden, it's no big deal being an atheist, it is more or less the norm. I think we have more "Closet Christians" over here, than the other way around... Big Grin I am both perlexed and amused (and a little frightened) by what I read and here about Christianity and religious influence in society in the USA. I follow different skeptics blogs, podcasts and video shows for most of those reasons, and I support you (american atheists) in your struggles to be an accepted and respected part of (and norm for) your society as well. It fascinates me profoundly that you are not...

/John C, Gothenburg, Sweden
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 11:40 AM
RE: Hi from overseas
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi from overseas
Hi, we're glad to have you join us. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Hej!
Hope you enjoy it here as much as enjoyed my year in LinköpingSmile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
07-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Welcome Smile
07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Welcome!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
08-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Welcome to the forum, John.
I'm just hear to let you know that if you need any help, I can be your guide.
Just let me know. :-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Welcome aboard and welcome abroad.

Just out of interest... from an Internet perspective, isn't everywhere and nowhere "overseas"?

08-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Re: RE: Hi from overseas
(08-11-2012 01:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome aboard and welcome abroad.

Just out of interest... from an Internet perspective, isn't everywhere and nowhere "overseas"?

I was thinking the same. This forum/community is at a central location? I think we should vote on it.

Welcome from across the seas

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
(08-11-2012 01:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome aboard and welcome abroad.

This was why I bothered opening this thread...."Overseas from where?" I asked myself Laugh out load...I too am from overseas.

Anyway, welcome ;D