Hi guys *handshakes all around*

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2014 10:05 AM by LadyDay.)
Hi guys *handshakes all around*
Hi everyone

I am a 27 year old woman from Denmark.
I like long walks on the beach and.... Wink

Like a lot of you I'm sure, I was raised religious. Protestantic Lutheran Christian to be exact, in a very sheltered world of christian schools and friends and church going, and in the belief that the bible is the inerrant, flawless word of the almighty God. I fully believed this, including that God created the universe in 7 times 24 hours and there was an actual, historical, talking snake who convinced a woman who was created from a mans rib to eat some fruit she wasn't supposed to and thus sin came into the world and now everyone who does not believe in God ends up in eternal torment of Hell.

These days I enjoy the joy of the freedom to think for myself. I am a happy, fairly recent, atheist. It's been a few years since I "came out" to everyone as an atheist, but getting to that point was a process that took years.
My deconversion started in my late teenage years when I got to got to a non-christian school and met people who either didn't really believe in anything particular other than 'maybe there's more out there than we can see' and a few atheist classmates. Especially one girl in my class stood out to me, she was an atheist, her family were all atheists, but she wasn't an angry or frivolous or irresponsible or bad person. She was exceptionally sweet and caring and warm and welcoming. As a devout christian girl, I put a bunch of effort into talking about my beliefs and opinions with my class mates, discussing such things as evolution vs. creation, homosexuality, sex outside marriage, abortion etc. And something started to really nag me, something that had been a little voice in the back of my head for years, but now became incredibly clear and impossible to ignore.
First of all it bugged me more and more how wrong it felt to me that the opinions I was arguing and the beliefs I was preaching wasn't opinions and beliefs I had come to myself, on my own account, through my own thinking. My friends and classmates had clearly formed their opinions on their own by considering it, while I had all mine from a book and from preachers interpreting said book. I thought them right because the book said they were, not because I had reasoned that they were true and good. This was one of my two big revelations.
The other big revelation shook me equally to my core. I had always thought that we christians were the good, loving ones and that atheists and non believers couldn't possibly be as caring and loving. After all, we had God telling us to love people. But it dawned on me soon in my debates with my classmates, that they, the atheists and non-believers were being incredibly sweet and tolerant towards me, they were listening respectfully to my arguments, not putting me down or making me feel bad for having so radically different opinions from them, showing interests in my beliefs and asking questions about them. Meanwhile I was telling them how they were doing horrible things that would send them to Hell for eternal torment (like having sex with their partners and drinking enough alcohol to get intoxicated), I wasn't listening to their arguments or showing interest and asking questions about their beliefs, I was just preaching my own beliefs while refusing that there could possibly be any merits to theirs. It dawned on me that I was not the nice person in these discussions! I realized that in fact I was being rude and mean and intolerant, while they were being tolerant and friendly! The atheists were being the good guys!
All this combined with a growing interest and passion for science (I study astrophysics nowadays) and logical thinking send me on a one way trip to atheism and freedom!
I enjoy debating religion so much more nowadays. I often joke that debating is so much easier when you get to argue with reason and logic instead of against it!

I also have a bunch of other interests, like animals (I keep snakes and aquarium fish and plan on keeping both a dog or two and few cats once I get to live a place that allows for it) drawing, reading, fitness, adventurous trips to the arctic regions (Norway mainly), video games etc.
I am a study geek who loves delving into topics that excite me and learn as much as I possibly can about them.

If you actually managed to read that entire long rant, thank you, I am honored.

Can't wait to meet you all.

Sincerely,
Christina aka. LadyDay
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like LadyDay's post
20-03-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: Hi guys *handshakes all around*
Welcome to the forum. Thumbsup

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
20-03-2014, 10:22 AM

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
20-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Welcome aboard! A nice story. I take it you've seen the Northern Lights on your travels to the arctic regions in Norway. That's one of the things on my "to do" list.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
20-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Hi Marozz.

Thankyou :-)

Yes I have. I recommend it highly! You really get blown away when it's really strong! It is pretty awesome! And with the mountains and stars and snow and civilization being far away. Nature at it's most impressive!

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
20-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Welcome LD, nice to have you on board Thumbsup

(wish the forum was working better for your first visit Undecided )

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
20-03-2014, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2014 03:25 PM by LadyDay.)
Thanks War Horse. Yes, I'm getting a terrible impression from these server problems. Maybe if we all sat down and prayed about it.... Wink

[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
20-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Welcome to our community.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-03-2014, 02:52 PM
(20-03-2014 02:21 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  Thanks War Horse. Yes, I'm getting a terrible impression from these server problems. Maybe if we all said down and prayed about it.... Wink

"Our website, who art in servers, HTML be thy name. Thy bandwidth come. Thy coding done, in Python as it is in Java. Give us this day our daily thread. And forgive us our typos as we forgive those who typo against us. Lead us not into refreshing, but deliver us from DOSing. For thine is the keyboard, and the monitor, and the forum, for ever and ever. Amen."

Did that help?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 9 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
20-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Hi!!! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post