Hi, newbie here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2016, 08:41 AM
RE: Hi, newbie here
Welcome to freedom.

And to TTA. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Thank you Fireball. mmmm Robert Plant, what a voice.

“The wheel is come full circle: I am here.”
—Edmund in King Lear: William Shakespeare.
[+] 1 user Likes Christophe 007's post
27-10-2016, 10:58 AM
(26-10-2016 10:36 PM)Impendere Wrote:  Hi, I'm delighted to have found this forum.

I live in the UK and am a 63-year-old man who squandered his first forty-five years as a Jehovah's Witness. I was a congregation elder and became appalled by their criminally negligent child protection policies and procedures. Though I knew this meant I couldn't remain a JW, I spent the next few years searching for reasons (well, excuses, really) why I could sweep my concerns under the carpet. But the more I researched, the worse it became and I had to leave.

However, they don't let you leave without penalty and they sneakily started rumours describing in lurid detail my many 'sins'. I since learned that's fairly standard practise.

I hadn't realised just how emotionally exhausting it would be to come to the realisation, after so many years, that virtually everything I'd believed was nonsense. So what did I believe now? I started with a clean slate and researched first the bible (wow, why hadn't the JW leaders honestly explained its many genuine contradictions, errors and inconsistences?) then whether I could still believe in god (to paraphrase the great Homer, what if Thor is the 'one true god' and He gets madder and madder every time we go to church or chapel?!!), and the result was - well, I'm here!

JWs are indoctrinated - and yes, they are a cult, and quite a nasty one at that - to believe they're the happiest, most loving people on earth. In reality, a few I knew were really delightful people, a few were truly awful and the majority were mostly okay. Not much different from everyone else, then.

However, I now believe there are only two types of JWs: the vast majority whom I call the 'deceived' and a tiny minority that I call the 'deceivers'. The latter are (not necessarily, but probably, all of) the religion's leaders plus a number of manipulative personalities who've learned to play the system. All the others are in the former group. Having been raised a JW I don't know much about any other religions but suspect they probably follow the same pattern.

I hadn't meant to rant on so long. Thanks for reading this far!

When you have to let it out - Just let it out!

Welcome, Impendere. Smile

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
27-10-2016, 01:28 PM
welcome!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
27-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
27-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Hi, newbie here
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Welcome and congratulations on your escape.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
27-10-2016, 03:41 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. And thanks for the background info. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
27-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Welcome to reality. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post