Hi... recovering catholic here..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi... recovering catholic here..
Hello everyone. I'm Jason. I'm 36 and from San Diego area.... I became Catholic about 4-7 years ago... I was raised baptist and was even a missionary in Mexico for a few years... and I dabbled in evangelical/pentecostal churches too......

But I guess I was looking for sacraments/tradition-transcendence, etc etc etc...

but now these 8 issues have led me to deconvert...

1. anti-Glbtq/homophobia

2. anti birth-control, etc..

3. the whole concept of-the soul

4. Hell/eternal damnation

5. the crucifixtion

6. original sin/the fall-Adam and Eve.

7. the Trinity

8. God's plan/God's will vs. prayer

9. the sex abuse crisis/scandal

10. the history of the catholic church

and bonus-

11. the wealth of the catholic church.

so all of that piled up and then I woke up and came to the realization that I was-they are brainwashed!!!! And I realized that I had way too much cognative dissonance....

So it was like a shock to me. But it's about intergrity/honesty with myself and intimacy....

So what should I do now? I have a close friend who is my godmother-but she's really brainwashed.....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jason197754's post
20-11-2013, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2013 01:58 PM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
RE: Hi... recovering catholic here..
Welcome aboard.

You don't have to do anything this second. Maybe a little decompression time would do you some good? There are many ex-thiests here and I'm sure they'll have some advice.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
20-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Welcome aboard! From an ex-theist.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
20-11-2013, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2013 03:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Hey Jason in SD.
I recovered a lot earlier.
What do you do now with your godmother ?
Nuthin.
Show her you still love her, that you are still you, that you will always be you, and there for her,
and DON'T (what ever ya do), pick fights with her.
I remember thinking in 2nd Grade .. "wait, wait, how do you *go* from Purgatory to heaven, and how *long* would that take ?" Weeping
Sister tole me to shut up.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
20-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Welcome.

We have quite a growing number of ex-Catholics here. Myself included, though I don't know why you would convert later in life. Blink I was born...I mean forced...into it.

Enjoy your stay.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
20-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I am decompressing now. I think the blog by ex catholic-Libby Anne-love joy feminism really woke me up and was the last straw lol.. and my head/mind is kind of spinning/I feel like I'm just waking up from a deep sleep/stupor....But the real kicker was that-there is no Divine Plan or higher purpose or meaning.....

I came from a dysfuctional home-parents both ahd substance abuse issues when I was growing up...

So I tried to leave 2 x's before the catholic church but I went back lol.... I guess that's why I call myself a Recovering catholic....

But I found a recovering from religion meetup group here in San Diego.

And I'm wondering if I should go to bars/hit the bar scene or online dating-okcupid/plenty of fish?

And I'm not sure about my sexual orientation yet....
20-11-2013, 03:23 PM
I met my current gf of 3 years at OKCupid.com and I highly am in tune with that type of thing. But it's up to you. I don't drink and not a huge dancer, so clubs and bars don't make much sense to me, not my scene.
20-11-2013, 04:47 PM
(20-11-2013 03:23 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I met my current gf of 3 years at OKCupid.com and I highly am in tune with that type of thing. But it's up to you. I don't drink and not a huge dancer, so clubs and bars don't make much sense to me, not my scene.
You have a 3 year old girlfriend? Yuck! No

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
20-11-2013, 04:59 PM
(20-11-2013 02:39 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  Yeah, I am decompressing now. I think the blog by ex catholic-Libby Anne-love joy feminism really woke me up and was the last straw lol.. and my head/mind is kind of spinning/I feel like I'm just waking up from a deep sleep/stupor....But the real kicker was that-there is no Divine Plan or higher purpose or meaning.....

I came from a dysfuctional home-parents both ahd substance abuse issues when I was growing up...

So I tried to leave 2 x's before the catholic church but I went back lol.... I guess that's why I call myself a Recovering catholic....

But I found a recovering from religion meetup group here in San Diego.

And I'm wondering if I should go to bars/hit the bar scene or online dating-okcupid/plenty of fish?

And I'm not sure about my sexual orientation yet....

The bars / clubs in SD suck the big one.
Go up the coast.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
20-11-2013, 05:08 PM
(20-11-2013 04:47 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 03:23 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I met my current gf of 3 years at OKCupid.com and I highly am in tune with that type of thing. But it's up to you. I don't drink and not a huge dancer, so clubs and bars don't make much sense to me, not my scene.
You have a 3 year old girlfriend? Yuck! No
Haha, perhaps our use of words is different. Your profile says you are in Germany? Where I am at least "of three years" would rarely be interpretted as the physical age of a living entity. I can see how it is ambiguous though, and I know that you were making a joke :-p.