Hi there

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Hi there
Hello everyone, I come from atheistforums.org, a forum I've joined last summer since atheism and skepticism became a more central part of my identity, and so I was curious to hang out and discuss with people with like minded views.

I've decided to join because I was curious to try posting in TTA, since it's pretty well praised in AF.org, and I don't want to limit myself to just one forum. In fact, I also post at deist forums other internet forums not related to atheism.

I go by the same username (Blackout) and I picked it because it's a name I started to use in online gaming out of pure random thoughts, I thought it would suit me, and because the most devastating problem I had when I became an atheist was finding out that there's no afterlife - Just nothing - And because of that a "blackout" [infinite one] is what expects me after I die, so this username is a way to overcome my still [sometimes] lingering fear of eternal oblivion (kinda like batman feared bats and became, well.. Batman!).

I come from Portugal and I identify myself as a gnostic atheist; I know it is a less common position, but I have reasons to haven chosen it, and I'll be happy to discuss it in the proper topic. I'll just say right away that gnostic atheists are not: (1) Atheists who feel superior and are completely close minded to the possibility of god existing (2) Atheists who are 100% sure about god not existing and behave similarly to gnostic theists

So this is pretty much all of it. Howdy!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Blackout's post
27-01-2015, 02:42 PM
RE: Hi there
Hey, blackout, good to see you here! Heart

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
27-01-2015, 02:44 PM
(27-01-2015 02:42 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Hey, blackout, good to see you here! Heart

The feeling is mutual Smile

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Blackout's post
27-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Welcome.

Funny you should say you are a gnostic atheist, we have a heated thread on this topic going on right now.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-01-2015, 03:30 PM
(27-01-2015 03:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Welcome.

Funny you should say you are a gnostic atheist, we have a heated thread on this topic going on right now.

Really? I can't find anything on "new posts" related to gnostic atheism. Can you point me to it please?

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-01-2015, 03:39 PM
(27-01-2015 03:30 PM)Blackout Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 03:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Welcome.

Really? I can't find anything on "new posts" related to gnostic atheism. Can you point me to it please?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...e-atheists

The agnostic/gnostic/whatever free for all (pun intended) starts at post 35 I think.

Pour yourself a stiff drink before opening.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
27-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Hi! Welcome! I'm not a member at AF. Not that I'm not interested, just a whole lotta effort I don't want to make right now. I have a name I wish I would have used instead of Nurse, I was in a rough place after losing my faith when I picked it - it was the only thing I knew for sure about myself (I know, I know, whodathunk I could be melodramatic...). Deconversion was a bitch.

Anywho, glad to see you here.

I'm gonna go check out this thread, thanks unfogged.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
27-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Welcome. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2015, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2015 05:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
Howdy howdy ho. Interesting tag line "Gnostic atheist and Existential Nihilist". Girly's an existential theist or a "meist" colloquially.

Please be courteous and clean up after yourself by grounding your references.

#sigh