11-07-2015, 06:21 PM
RE: Hi, there!
Hello! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2015, 07:40 PM
(11-07-2015 04:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 08:48 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  "If Christ had not truly been resurrected from the dead, then we are all fools." In my head, my response was "...yeah."

I missed that line, the first time I read your post.

That may be the best explanation for their utter insanity, concisely and perfectly stated by that priest. They MUST cling to it, with a fierce and almost-panicked desperation, "or else they are all fools".

Why else would the conversations go the way they do, with the "fuse-popping sound" that happens when you hit a point they can't refute, and they go into the recursive-loop Bible Quoting Mode to tell you that the Napkin Faith is The True Faith™ because it says so right on this here napkin... their version of that, anyway. It also explains why they like citing that "nonbelievers are fools" line at us. Dodgy

I've long wondered why they feel less silly telling me that the world works by sky-deity-magic and blood sacrifice, that the Creator of the Universe cares deeply and intensely about where I put my penis, and that we are the special creations of said Creator of the Universe despite trillions of other planets out there in billions of galaxies who needs YOUR INDIVIDUAL worship so much that you will be punished for all eternity in an extra-dimensional space of heat, should you choose to not "freely" worship this Creator.

That probably is less embarrassing than admitting you have dedicated your life to Kissing Hank's Ass because Karl told you to, and that you will not be getting the million dollars when you leave town.

Yes. I totally understand such a response from someone like a priest, as well, because it would mean that the foundation of everything for him would be false.

I was friends with a man who was homosexual, but married a woman some decades ago because he believed it was god's will. When I told him I didn't know if I believed (when I was a teenager), his final argument was "So you mean to tell me that everything I have based my life on is a LIE?"

I am of the opinion that most religious people, or at least most middle class American religious people around my age, know that religion, for the most part, is nonsense. They just keep their beliefs around because they're comfortable (and made comfortable by rejecting the things that the individual doesn't like about the religion).

My mother, one of the biggest critics of religion when I was younger, said to me today, "I don't like how far you've gone from religion. You can't be, like, an atheist." She really has made up her own god, with no queues from a religion. I suspect if she thinks about there not being a god, her thoughts would go to her parents, and the thought that they aren't angels (or whatever) would be too much for her.

I totally get it, because I've been there. At the same time, keeping a belief because it's comfortable, not because it's right, is the most intellectually lazy thing I've ever heard of.
[+] 1 user Likes FreeThinker1994's post
11-07-2015, 09:15 PM
That avatar though....... oh sorry welcome Big Grin

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze