Hi, there!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2016, 02:45 PM
RE: Hi, there!
(03-06-2016 11:21 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Hello!

(what's a "primitive Baptist"?)

Like Southern Baptists only more so. They have communion once a month where they wash each other's feet. Women wash for women, men for men. The one I went to had no instruments, everything was sung a capella. I don't know if that was part of the religion or just that church.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2016, 02:47 PM
(03-06-2016 11:55 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Wow a former Scientologist. I have so many questions! Thou I was never member Scientology was a major turning point for me becoming an atheist.

I think with such a variety of beliefs i'm interested to hear your mental journey.

Welcome GJcook.

I wont get into the questions in this thread this is mostly so people can say hello. But if you start one you can be sure i'll step in.

Also (just so I can get a clearer picture) it sounds like you are still holding on a belief that a god exists. Just not a loving one? Maybe you're more a deist position? Looking forward to talk with you.

I do not believe in a being existing somewhere. I am inclined to believe in a force that we might be able to tap, but I am not about to encourage others in this. I think, at the moment, I would still be considered agnostic, but leaning toward atheism.
[+] 1 user Likes gjcook27's post
03-06-2016, 03:03 PM
A couple of you asked about Scientology. My mother was a member and got to OT7. I joined the Sea Org, which lasted about 2 1/2 years. This was back when Hubbard was still alive. I was actually on the ship (Apollo) with him, though I had no contact with him other than seeing him walk by occasionally. They started the Rehabilitation Project Force while I was there, though I did not have any closer contact with it than that.

I got exhausted over time, and one day said I want to go home and walked off my job. My mother swears I had a friend who made it possible. I don't know. I just slept about 10 hours, then said I had changed my mind, but they sent me home anyway. These days, you actually have to escape. I got very little Scientology services. Which may have been a good thing!

I started in LA at ASHO (American Saint Hill Organization). Work as a clerk, then child care, then went to the ship. I ended washing dishes. I had some fun, including New Years Eve in Funchal harbor in Portugal. I turned 21 there.

I'll try to answer any other questions you have. Just let me know.
03-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Glad to have another rational theist around here. We get a little bit "hip-deep" in the fundamentalists (which some of us call "fundies", for short), around here sometimes!

I did not leave being a Southern Baptist because of the threat of hellfire, but because I learned enough science to realize my church leaders had been (intentionally or otherwise) misleading me about what the claims of science actually were, and it made me start to wonder what else they had skewed in my teaching, so I started studying my own religion more closely... fail! Once I left the faith, I began to take up some of the theological questions like hell, and I came to the conclusion that a being that expects obedience "OR ELSE!!" is a monster, a thug... not a God, and certainly not worthy of anyone's worship. It's simple human psychological manipulation, as employed by priests and shamans of every sort, all across the globe, to gain and maintain adherents. Some of us manage to see through it. Some of those become atheists, some just worship God in a better way. I'm glad you made it out of the mind-trap that is traditional Christianity!

Hope you like it here, and become part of our little community. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-06-2016, 03:31 PM
(03-06-2016 03:29 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Glad to have another rational theist around here.

Wait a minute! This guy's a theist? I want my welcome back.

I kid, I kid.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Hello! Big Grin
03-06-2016, 03:57 PM
(03-06-2016 03:29 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Glad to have another rational theist around here. We get a little bit "hip-deep" in the fundamentalists (which some of us call "fundies", for short), around here sometimes!

I did not leave being a Southern Baptist because of the threat of hellfire, but because I learned enough science to realize my church leaders had been (intentionally or otherwise) misleading me about what the claims of science actually were, and it made me start to wonder what else they had skewed in my teaching, so I started studying my own religion more closely... fail! Once I left the faith, I began to take up some of the theological questions like hell, and I came to the conclusion that a being that expects obedience "OR ELSE!!" is a monster, a thug... not a God, and certainly not worthy of anyone's worship. It's simple human psychological manipulation, as employed by priests and shamans of every sort, all across the globe, to gain and maintain adherents. Some of us manage to see through it. Some of those become atheists, some just worship God in a better way. I'm glad you made it out of the mind-trap that is traditional Christianity!

Hope you like it here, and become part of our little community. Smile

Don't actually consider myself a theist, but thanks for the welcome.
[+] 1 user Likes gjcook27's post
03-06-2016, 03:59 PM
(03-06-2016 03:57 PM)gjcook27 Wrote:  Don't actually consider myself a theist...

Now that we've cleared that up...

Welcome!

(don't mind me, I'm drinking. Wink )

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post