Hi y'all.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Hi y'all.
I'm Erica. 26, became an atheist/agnostic/whatever tf I am about 3 years ago after a lifetime of intense belief. I still struggle with it and thought having somewhere to talk would help me some. It's hard to realize your entire belief system was built on misinformation, especially when said misinformation led to years of staying in an abusive marriage because God would want me to work on it instead of throwing it away
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2016, 09:52 AM
RE: Hi y'all.
Welcome. Many here are in the same boat as you are. I hope you find TTA useful. Pull up a chair and chime right in!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Welcome! I love your username Smile
I come from a similar place, very strong belief until about three years ago. May I ask what your religious background was?
22-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Hello!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
22-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Greetings!

I think it's great that you left that abusive relationship. I remember being taught about how a couple should never divorce no matter what, divorce is not an option, and things like that. However, sometines, it really is best to get away from that person.

☆☆☆
22-05-2016, 10:05 AM
(22-05-2016 09:55 AM)debna27 Wrote:  Welcome! I love your username Smile
I come from a similar place, very strong belief until about three years ago. May I ask what your religious background was?

My family is Independent Baptist, I switched to Methodist in middle school.
And thank you! I was glad it wasn't taken already haha
22-05-2016, 10:06 AM
(22-05-2016 09:58 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Greetings!

I think it's great that you left that abusive relationship. I remember being taught about how a couple should never divorce no matter what, divorce is not an option, and things like that. However, sometines, it really is best to get away from that person.

That's such a terrible thing to teach that I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive. His mother swore it was impossible for men to rape their wives. I and my ex sister in law could never convince her otherwise.

I'm mostly ok except the risidual bitterness now though Wink
[+] 1 user Likes LadyNymeria's post
22-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Welcome, you'll find a kinship here and plenty of support. Hope you enjoy. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
22-05-2016, 11:36 AM
(22-05-2016 09:45 AM)LadyNymeria Wrote:  I'm Erica. 26, became an atheist/agnostic/whatever tf I am about 3 years ago after a lifetime of intense belief. I still struggle with it and thought having somewhere to talk would help me some. It's hard to realize your entire belief system was built on misinformation, especially when said misinformation led to years of staying in an abusive marriage because God would want me to work on it instead of throwing it away

My sister was a vegetarian because God wanted her to be. SHe stayed with the same bully husband for 39 years for the same reason. SHe died of colon cancer at the age of 64. That is the one that gets you for eating too much meat! Or from always being tense and nervous!
22-05-2016, 11:37 AM
You have my sympathies, ma'am. Welcome to the forum.

Have you sought therapy to address the fallout of your abuse?