Hidden Variables Are Still Nonsense

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Hidden Variables Are Still Nonsense
Ayup. Reality is (increasingly well-attested to be) quantum.

So we see once again, as I am wont to say, that naive physical intuition is the exact opposite of compelling substantiation.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
02-07-2014, 10:11 AM
RE: Hidden Variables Are Still Nonsense
(02-07-2014 10:04 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Ayup. Reality is (increasingly well-attested to be) quantum.

So we see once again, as I am wont to say, that naive physical intuition is the exact opposite of compelling substantiation.

Well yeah but that's just like your (well founded and backed by scientific consensus) opinion man. Cool

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-07-2014, 10:16 AM
(02-07-2014 10:11 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 10:04 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Ayup. Reality is (increasingly well-attested to be) quantum.

Well yeah but that's just like your (well founded and backed by scientific consensus) opinion man. Cool

Quiet, you. Just 'cause I let you in on the Big Evil Conspiracy™ that is modern science doesn't mean you can blab about it.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
02-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Quote:The theorem, however, considers only models in which the physical variables corresponding to independently prepared systems are independent, and this has been used to challenge the conclusions of that work. Here we consider models that are defined for a single quantum system of dimension d, such that the independence condition does not arise, and derive an upper bound on the extent to which the probability distributions can overlap. In particular, models in which the quantum overlap between pure states is equal to the classical overlap between the corresponding probability distributions cannot reproduce the quantum predictions in any dimension d≥3.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
02-07-2014, 04:13 PM
[Image: randomness1.png]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-07-2014, 08:52 PM
My brain is hurting.

[Image: giphy.gif]
07-07-2014, 10:02 PM
I got lost here:

Quote:According to a recent no-go theorem [M. Pusey, J. Barrett and T. Rudolph, Nat. Phys. 8, 475 (2012)], models in which quantum states correspond to probability distributions over the values of some underlying physical variables must have the following feature: the distributions corresponding to distinct quantum states do not overlap.

I am not familiar with the no-go theorem, so that isn't a good start. I understand that particles appear to exist in many places and no place, and that the way we track their motion is with probability (Richard Feynman and all that right). I am not exactly sure what a "quantum state" is. Feels rather nonspecific. I don't know what "underlying physical variables" are either, which feels even more nondescript. Also, I don't understand the significance of the quantum states "do no overlap". Anybody care to spell this out for me? This abstract appears to have been written for other quantum physicists rather than lay people.
07-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Yes... Well...

.... Damnit! I'm trying to make a joke about not observing facts making them technically not facts 'cause their state'd be both fact and non-fact, but I don't know remotely enough about quantum mechanics to make it work or even be sure that the joke is even applicable any more!!! ARGH!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Exciting update:
Reality still quantum. News at 11.