Hidden stars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2013, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 08:22 AM by evenheathen.)
Hidden stars
It's late and I'm drunk and I'm gonna ramble at ya a bit.

I was just outside for a smoke and was looking up at the stars.

I know that in the middle of a town you're not going to see the amount of stars that you would if you were in the country, or better yet in a country with little amount of light interference from cities altogether.

I remember as a high schooler in a small town, with the freedom to stay up late we used to get stoned and/or drunk and with nothing else better to do we would drive out a few miles from the town and lay down in a field and look at the stars. God, were there stars. More than you could shake a stick at. Tongue

I got to wondering as to why the light from the city actually interferes with the obsvervance of the stars in the night sky. Wondering about the actual physical nature of what's happening.

From what I know I gather that the photons of light emitted from the lights of the town travel upward and outward and actually physically bump into the photons of light traveling millions of light years across the universe towards my eyes and cause them to scatter elsewhere, rendering them unobservable to me.

This is why the night sky is so much more drab here than it is from a remote observational point.

Millions of light years, traveling, waiting to be appreciated by me, and they are pushed away by the bullshit of convenience and late night fuckery of my college town.

Then again, am I so cynical as to think that the photons of the universe are better served by my observance than to travel on towards the unknown?

I dunno, just makes me a little bit sad. I'd like to see those stars.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
01-09-2013, 03:19 AM
RE: Hidden stars
Not cynicism... solipsism.

Light pollution is actually an atheistic conspiracy... trying to obscure god's majesty.

It's a secret sect of atheism called the Anti-Illuminati.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-09-2013, 07:30 AM
If I understand it correctly, it's not light from the earth deflecting or interfering with light from the stars, but , rather light from earth is reflected by molecules of the atmosphere. This light in the foreground ( reflected light) is brighter than the light from stars in the background making your eyes unable to resolve it. This is the same reason you cannot see stars behind the sun. The sun is not preventing the light from reaching us. It is just out shining them. In space, outside the atmospheric effects, astronomers can use masks to block the sun's light and look past it.
If I have this wrong, someone please correct me.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
01-09-2013, 07:59 AM
He he. I was The Thinking Drunk last night.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-09-2013, 08:00 AM
(01-09-2013 07:30 AM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  If I understand it correctly, it's not light from the earth deflecting or interfering with light from the stars, but , rather light from earth is reflected by molecules of the atmosphere. This light in the foreground ( reflected light) is brighter than the light from stars in the background making your eyes unable to resolve it. This is the same reason you cannot see stars behind the sun. The sun is not preventing the light from reaching us. It is just out shining them. In space, outside the atmospheric effects, astronomers can use masks to block the sun's light and look past it.
If I have this wrong, someone please correct me.

Yeah, that would make sense.

~ Umberto Eco
01-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Also, the street lights reduce your night vision.
01-09-2013, 09:20 AM
(01-09-2013 09:14 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Also, the street lights reduce your night vision.

Well yes, but that's what I was drunkenly pontificating about. Why exactly do the street lights reduce my ability to see the stars? On an atomic level.

~ Umberto Eco
01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
(01-09-2013 09:20 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 09:14 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Also, the street lights reduce your night vision.

Well yes, but that's what I was drunkenly pontificating about. Why exactly do the street lights reduce my ability to see the stars? On an atomic level.

Well in the case of night vision, the street lights cause your eyes to become less sensitive to light by closing its aperture slightly.
01-09-2013, 10:14 AM
(01-09-2013 09:49 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 09:20 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well yes, but that's what I was drunkenly pontificating about. Why exactly do the street lights reduce my ability to see the stars? On an atomic level.

Well in the case of night vision, the street lights cause your eyes to become less sensitive to light by closing its aperture slightly.

Sure, but what about those photons directly in line with my retina as I gaze out into the night sky?
01-09-2013, 10:56 AM
(01-09-2013 10:14 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 09:49 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Well in the case of night vision, the street lights cause your eyes to become less sensitive to light by closing its aperture slightly.

Sure, but what about those photons directly in line with my retina as I gaze out into the night sky?

They still hit your retina, but they're simply not a large enough signal to stand out vs the background.

Same reason you can't see the stars during the day! They're still there...

... this is my signature!