Hiding my interracial friend/relationship from my mom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 09:14 AM
RE: Hiding my interracial friend/relationship from my mom
HOLY SHIT FERDINAND.

I had no idea.

Your mom sucks, dude.

I know racist people, too (I'm also from Alabama, don't even get me started!), but your mom is a real piece of work. She's got some other problems besides being a racist asshole.

I agree with most of what people have said. I think you should get ready to go secretly but continue to be honest with your mom about your whereabouts and friends, I only see that causing more trouble if you try sneaking around.

Definitely find out about those funds, if they can be used to get you started apartment wise, you oughtta do it.

And get the hell out of Alabama! Or at least to the hipster parts of Birmingham or Huntsville, where there are some more reasonable people (re: only secretly racist or only a little bit racist).

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2014, 10:40 AM
(07-05-2014 09:14 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  And get the hell out of Alabama!

Your world will improve greatly as soon as that happens!

and um....don't stop in Mississippi either. Wink

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
07-05-2014, 10:43 AM
(07-05-2014 10:40 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 09:14 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  And get the hell out of Alabama!

Your world will improve greatly as soon as that happens!

and um....don't stop in Mississippi either. Wink

OH LAWD NO.

errbody knows Alabama thanks god for Mississippi.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
07-05-2014, 03:14 PM
(07-05-2014 08:00 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Trust...smh. I really think its you that shouldn't be trusting her. If you think you are walking on eggshells now, it will get worse after you graduate. Have you started doing some of the prep work we talked about earlier in this thread? Talk to your aunt and the bank about those funds? Getting some of the things that mean the most to you to a friends house? Talk with the parents of your friends for an emergency place to crash? Find a job?

I really think she will get worse after you graduate. You are in an abusive relationship with her....get out.

I haven't talked to my dad about my college funds yet, but I've been going job hunting regularly and I've talked to several friends about what's going on, and a handful have offered to have my back if I need anywhere to go again.

(07-05-2014 09:14 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  HOLY SHIT FERDINAND.

I had no idea.

Your mom sucks, dude.

I know racist people, too (I'm also from Alabama, don't even get me started!), but your mom is a real piece of work. She's got some other problems besides being a racist asshole.

I agree with most of what people have said. I think you should get ready to go secretly but continue to be honest with your mom about your whereabouts and friends, I only see that causing more trouble if you try sneaking around.

Definitely find out about those funds, if they can be used to get you started apartment wise, you oughtta do it.

And get the hell out of Alabama! Or at least to the hipster parts of Birmingham or Huntsville, where there are some more reasonable people (re: only secretly racist or only a little bit racist).

In my last class today I texted my mom and asked her if I could go downtown with a friend so we could work on our final exam study guides, and she texted me this rant about how she doesn't trust me or believe me- when in actuality she could call my teachers because she has contact with most of them and just ask them, plus I could call her and have her speak to who I'm with, plus I could send her a picture of where I'm at.

I've done a decent job of hiding the boy from my mom, along with his best friend who tags along in our group often (boy is mixed, best friend is black, my mom doesn't want me around either) but I've been honest with her about everything else. She's even made a big deal about what my friends would think if I had a relationship with someone of a difference race. My answer was "Well, they wouldn't really care." and it's true. A lot of my friends date outside their own race, are gay, etc. Her response was "They're for something I don't believe in."

At least I'm not doing drugs.
07-05-2014, 04:00 PM
If your name is on the account, even if it's a custody account, and you know the bank name, you can call them directly, just be prepared to give your SSN. Customer service should be able to tell you if there are any restrictions, etc.

If it's not in your name, then you are your Dads and Aunts mercy.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-05-2014, 04:11 PM
(07-05-2014 04:00 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  If your name is on the account, even if it's a custody account, and you know the bank name, you can call them directly, just be prepared to give your SSN. Customer service should be able to tell you if there are any restrictions, etc.

If it's not in your name, then you are your Dads and Aunts mercy.

I'm not sure if it's under my name or not, I know nothing about it. All I was told was that my dad's side of the family put up a good amount for me when I was a baby and that's it's for college purposes only, and that if I haven't spent it all/used it at all by the time I'm 25, I get to do whatever I want with it.

My dad and I are on good terms (he's a recovering addict living several hours away, haven't seen him in 10 years) and he understands the "unhealthy" relationship I have with my mom. I've never spoken to my aunt on that side of the family but my dad has asked me on several occasions if I planned on going to college, so he'd know if/when to contact my aunt about the money. So I'm assuming she has the account information.