Higgs Boson discovery CONFIRMED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Higgs Boson discovery CONFIRMED
Quote:“These papers present the first observations of a new particle discovered by two big experiments at the Large Hadron Collider in the search for the Standard Model Higgs boson which has spanned many decades and has involved many experiments,” Compact Muon Spectrometer (CMS) spokesperson Joe Incandela said in a statement. “They are the most important papers to come from the LHC so far and the findings are key to the field of particle physics. We are very pleased to see them published in Physics Letters B, accessible to all who may want to read them.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/20...confirmed/

Well done lads! Skaal!

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Phaedrus's post
13-09-2012, 12:28 AM
RE: Higgs Boson discovery CONFIRMED
Now that is damned good news!
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
13-09-2012, 12:59 AM
I wish I truly understood the implications of the discovery, but even after having had the Higgs field explained to me in layman's terms multiple times, I still don't think I grasp it.
13-09-2012, 01:22 AM
(13-09-2012 12:59 AM)rook2004 Wrote:  I wish I truly understood the implications of the discovery, but even after having had the Higgs field explained to me in layman's terms multiple times, I still don't think I grasp it.

I'll give you the layman version in as simple as I can possibly explain.

Current particle physics today explain things the way we understand them. However, we could not make physics work this way unless we introduced a particle that we thought existed, this particle is what gave things "mass" essentially.

So if we explained physics without this particle, things fell apart, made no sense. So it was introduced into the equation, things made sense. The problem is that this particle was pretty much theoretical because we couldn't tag down an actual example. We had not actually observed it, just the things around it which made sense if we used things to explain it's presence of being there.

We can now observe it, peer review things and explain it's existence. This completes the missing part of physics on the particle we thought existed and now we can actually see that it does indeed, exist.

Let me provide a different example:

For instance...

2 + 2 = 4.

For you and I, this is an elementary equation. However, in the land of cosmology and physics, if each number is a physics issue, the values may be the same but they are comprised of different things.

One of the 2s is composed of Particle A and Particle B. If you look at the other number 2, it's composed of particle C and particle D.

We can observe 4, the end result. Or let's just say a physics problem used to explain something. That problem will always include the missing particle, as a piece of math. We can't see it. But... We can even observe the components leading up to 4. We can physically observe B, C and D. We can't see Particle A, only see patterns that suggest it is there, patterns than suggest it has a value. This is much like a math equation that Y + 2 = 4. We have to understand what Y is, how we get there, and can explain how we got to 4 using observations, but still have no substance to visually see everything there yet, just how mathematically it came in.

Now, we have it, we can see it, explain it, we can show it, observe it. Now, it will make sense, the math is solid, there is no more "We can do the math and it adds up if we insert this particle." but now there is "We have all the particles we can explain, here's the math, tada!"
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
13-09-2012, 01:33 AM
(13-09-2012 01:22 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 12:59 AM)rook2004 Wrote:  I wish I truly understood the implications of the discovery, but even after having had the Higgs field explained to me in layman's terms multiple times, I still don't think I grasp it.

I'll give you the layman version in as simple as I can possibly explain.

[...]

Well, I don't think it's the "difficult to observe intermediate particles that can only be probed with extremely high-energy proton beams" bit that bothers me. I's just the idea that there is a particle that imparts mass to...er...particles. (What, leptons I guess?) Mass seems like it ought to be a fundamental property of the particles themselves (like charge or spin), but it's actually a product of the interaction with the Higgs field now? I mean, I guess that concept helps me be more okay with weird ideas like particles having zero rest mass and mass increasing with momentum, but STILL. Mass was supposed to be the warping of spacetime. Maybe I'm not drawing the connections here?
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
13-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Oh I see what you mean. You're in essence on the right track with a product of interaction.

The best way that I've see it described in a layman on how it interacts was from Brian Greene.

You can think of the field as something giving resistance. Like a molasses. One particle has an easy time moving through it (light) and another has a great amount of difficulty moving through this molasses (heavy mass). Different particles and different things have an easier time moving through it, or a harder time moving through it.

Here's a good narration and layman explanation by him before they confirmed it:

So instead of thinking as an object as really "heavy" imagine resistance. Swimming through this molasses... but you can't see it. So let's say you have a baseball the size of a bowling ball, both the same size. Obviously, the baseball will be less heavy because of the mass of the particles. The bowling ball will be heavier. But instead of thinking of it as heavy, imagine how hard it would be to toss the bowling ball compared to the baseball. You'll feel an immediate resistance, it's harder to throw. Because what it is made up of has more resistance as it's moving through the higgs field.

So instead of thinking as everything the bowling ball as moving through being air, imagine an imaginary field of molasses you're throwing it through, except this molasses gives more resistance to some things than others. On top of that field, you still have all the elements such as O2, nitrogen, etc.. so then you have that resistance as well (and THOSE particles have their own resistance). Objects with more resistance moving through more objects of resistance, all moving through a giant field that gives them that very resistance.

Here is another fantastic explanation of Brian talking with Krauss on this very thing (starting at 3:25). They also explain it like a "drag"...
http://worldsciencefestival.com/videos/a...nouncement
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
13-09-2012, 02:22 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 02:30 AM by earmuffs.)
Let me explain it as I understand it.
disclaimer: Could be wrong, someone might wanna back me up on this.

Bosons are sorta like an energy vessel. So like gravitons (or whatever the gravity version is I forgot it's name) are what gravitational energy is passed along. Like photons and light energy. Photons are like the car, light energy the driver.

The Higgs is metal to a magnetic field (where this 'magnetic field' is gravity). Like for example, what good is a magnet if you have no metal? Like I could walk through a magnetic field and never know it's there. But if I was wearing some old armor suit, then I'd know it's there because it would act upon me.
Higgs, in the way I see it, is that metal suit.
So other things like photons aren't effected by the Higgs so they're like me walking through a magnetic field normally.

This is the way I see it anyway, I'm no scientist though.

edit: And Logisch beat me too it.
edit2: It's interesting to think that particles are both effected by the Higgs but also have/emit gravity. So it's like a magnet being made of metal. I wonder, does it act upon itself? Like, is it drawn/pulled towards itself? Like if you take your fists and press your pointer finger against your little finger. And then so when you "split" (your two fists sliding out from each other) the atom all this energy which is "stored" is released. Like a pressure cooker?
edit3: No, not like a pressure cooker. A pressure cooker goes off like a grenade. More like the fist example, it collapses in upon itself and goes out the other way? So something exploding out the right side was on the left side of the particle because it's pressing in.

I dunno, thinking aloud.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
13-09-2012, 02:25 AM
^^ I like that explanation. That's a good analogy, like wearing a suit of armor through a magnetic field vs being a guy wearing just a tshirt. One would feel it, the other would be like "Meh" haha.

Good explanation, earmuffs.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
13-09-2012, 02:33 AM
(13-09-2012 02:25 AM)Logisch Wrote:  ^^ I like that explanation. That's a good analogy, like wearing a suit of armor through a magnetic field vs being a guy wearing just a tshirt. One would feel it, the other would be like "Meh" haha.

Good explanation, earmuffs.

It's only because I don't know the technical terms. Sad Tongue

Read my edit of my last post.
What do you think? Because a particle has both "push and pull" forces, that's why it has so much energy because they act upon eachother?

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
14-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah, look at dat Frankeeee! Dey got one of d'ose large Hardon Colliders!
*Forgive me, my brooklyn accent breaks through at times*

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab