Higgs v Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Higgs v Dawkins
It did sadden me a frontal attack from Peter Higgs against Richard Dawkins, published today on Spanish media (google should make an OK job at translating it). Calling Dawkins a fundamentalist,as he did, couldn't be more far from the truth and shows a clear misunderstanding by some top scientists of Dawkins ideas and mission.

Link to read: http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/12/27...11441.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2012, 10:53 AM
RE: Higgs v Dawkins
Welcome, Hello-Goodbye.

Here's an English version of the story.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/d...amentalism

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
28-12-2012, 11:10 AM
(28-12-2012 10:53 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Welcome, Hello-Goodbye.

Thanks for the welcome, and for the link to the guardian, I should have checked there first. I have been looking for a forum like this for years!

Back to it, real shame to see such an attack from Higgs, who doesn't seem to really have done his research about Dawkins, I personally do not think that silence will make much for spreading scientific ideas and the scientific method.
28-12-2012, 11:21 AM
(28-12-2012 11:10 AM)hola_adios Wrote:  
(28-12-2012 10:53 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Welcome, Hello-Goodbye.

Thanks for the welcome, and for the link to the guardian, I should have checked there first. I have been looking for a forum like this for years!

Back to it, real shame to see such an attack from Higgs, who doesn't seem to really have done his research about Dawkins, I personally do not think that silence will make much for spreading scientific ideas and the scientific method.

Peter Higgs seems like a nice, conventional fellow, non-confrontational.

He is wrong about Dawkins and about the action needed to combat religious idiocy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Welcome aboard!

Dawkins can put a lot of people off, this complaint has been made about him many times. I think his intensity is a much needed way to combat things.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
28-12-2012, 01:47 PM
(28-12-2012 11:25 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Welcome aboard!

Dawkins can put a lot of people off, this complaint has been made about him many times. I think his intensity is a much needed way to combat things.
Thanks for the welcome!

I have heard that a few times, but I always correlated this comment with how sharp and merciless his logic and speech are towards those who just want an easy belief system. I personally have never seen Dawkins behaving like a "science zealot", and certainly would have never equated any of his speeches/lectures with that of a conservative priest or an Ayatollah (wrong terminology used there by Higgs).
[+] 4 users Like hola_adios's post
29-12-2012, 06:57 PM
It really pisses me off when people criticize Dawkins for saying the truth about religion. "Don't criticize them!" "It makes them happy!" "That's scientism!" "Why do you care about their beliefs?"

Most of the intellectual community keeps trying to appease the faitheads. Their relativistic view of the concept of "truth" makes me question their honesty. I see it as a fundamental treachery to intellectual honesty. Some opinions are simply not reasonable and should not get respect. Pretending that all the religious dogmas are respectable for "convenient" reasons... What was the name for that? Oh yeah, Hypocrisy.

This reminds me of the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes". Everyone pretends that the emperor is dressed up with marvelous clothes. Meanwhile, everyone knows that the "clothes" are not just common, they are not there.

Antitheist - Tooth Fairy Agnostic - Rationalist - Humanist - Individualist - Libertarian Minarchist

[Image: dsotm1.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Bug Richard Dawkins: racist, sexist... pedophile? PoolBoyG 14 1,674 11-09-2013 02:14 PM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Boycott call over Dawkins talk DLJ 6 601 17-08-2012 05:08 PM
Last Post: morondog