High School Atheists Are Organizing -- Why Are Schools Pushing Back?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2011, 04:02 PM
High School Atheists Are Organizing -- Why Are Schools Pushing Back?
High school non-theist groups are getting dedicated support from a national organization but their schools are flipping out. What does this mean for the future of atheism?

High school student Brian Lisco just wanted to form a student club. A senior at Stephen Austin High School in the Houston suburbs, Lisco wanted to meet with like-minded students; students who shared common interests, who could talk about ideas they found interesting, who could give one another support.

But his efforts were consistently thwarted by the administration at his high school. His requests to form a club were stalled for months, and obstacle after obstacle was put in his path.

Why?

http://www.alternet.org/belief/150006?page=entire

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2011, 04:50 PM

RE: High School Atheists Are Organizing -- Why Are Schools Pushing Back?
I don't know if this applies universally, but public schools don't allow for religious clubs at school, so in the same vein, atheist clubs shouldn't be allowed. EDIT: Reread the article. If there are religious clubs at school, they should be banned. My point still stands.

I'm not equating atheism with religion in terms of structure/functionality (which we all object to), but by allowing atheist clubs, the school would be permitting a certain ideology to exist and not others.

I'd rather have no atheist clubs then have religious clubs start showing up in public schools. Public schools are secular already. If high school kids like myself want to discuss their beliefs, the lunch table is more than enough.
Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2011, 05:50 PM
RE: High School Atheists Are Organizing -- Why Are Schools Pushing Back?
"Why are schools pushing back?"

"in the Houston suburbs"

There you go.

The question and the answer were in the original post. This is the same state that is leading the "put stickers inside science books stating that evolution is just a theory" movement in america.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply