High Schooler's speech on the Jehovah's Witness organization

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2015, 03:19 PM
RE: High Schooler's speech on the Jehovah's Witness organization
I have to admit that I actual love those JW's I have come across in my life. When I took my HTX (I guess it's something along the lines of high school, that gives entry to university level educations) I had one in my class. He was very positive and helpful to all for his classmates. He and I have talked religion plenty at that time. I was even invited to their mass or what they call it. I agreed as I thought it would be interesting to see how they do things but I found it quite boring. Like having a book report and going to church all in one sitting. At least dinner with his parents after was nice. He also took me to some bible/religious museum show with some of his other JW friends. lovely people too. He had some siblings who was thrown out as non believers but one of them ended up returning. They had contact to both siblings though. Also he told me about their view about organ transplantation and blood transfusions. According to him it was up to themselves if they wanted them or not if needed. He personally wouldn't.

Some years later I had a visit from the "missionaries" and talked to them, invited them in to have a friendly talk about stuff. He and his wife came by quite a few times to discuss stuff that we'd never agree on. I think they hoped to get in into the fold. I haven't seen them for ages now though so I guess they gave up.

In the end I guess there is both good and bad stories from JW but religion is religion and I don't understand why someone fairly well-educated first-world citizen can buy into it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
24-05-2015, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2015 07:36 PM by Anjele.)
(24-05-2015 03:19 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I have to admit that I actual love those JW's I have come across in my life. When I took my HTX (I guess it's something along the lines of high school, that gives entry to university level educations) I had one in my class. He was very positive and helpful to all for his classmates. He and I have talked religion plenty at that time. I was even invited to their mass or what they call it. I agreed as I thought it would be interesting to see how they do things but I found it quite boring. Like having a book report and going to church all in one sitting. At least dinner with his parents after was nice. He also took me to some bible/religious museum show with some of his other JW friends. lovely people too. He had some siblings who was thrown out as non believers but one of them ended up returning. They had contact to both siblings though. Also he told me about their view about organ transplantation and blood transfusions. According to him it was up to themselves if they wanted them or not if needed. He personally wouldn't.

Some years later I had a visit from the "missionaries" and talked to them, invited them in to have a friendly talk about stuff. He and his wife came by quite a few times to discuss stuff that we'd never agree on. I think they hoped to get in into the fold. I haven't seen them for ages now though so I guess they gave up.

In the end I guess there is both good and bad stories from JW but religion is religion and I don't understand why someone fairly well-educated first-world citizen can buy into it.

There was a lady in the law firm we worked closely with who was JW and she was nice, at least she was at work, I didn't see her outside of the work environment.

However, publicly shaming and shunning someone in front of the whole congregation and their child is something I cannot consider 'nice'. Polite, I have seen in the ones who come to my door...that doesn't necessarily translate into nice or good. Polite can be a facade that hides something completely different.

My friend's brother would have died following an accident had his father not stepped in and allowed the transfusion the boy desperately needed. The rest of the family was willing and ready to watch him die needlessly. Also, not nice.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-05-2015, 07:31 PM
That was a harrowing tale delivered by the young woman in a powerful manner. As was earlier said, the information may not be new to me, but the way it was disseminated was spectacular.

When I hear stories of this nature, it's a sobering reminder of how good I've got it and always had it. My heart goes out to and aches for all those who are still struggling in similar circumstances, wherever they may be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
24-05-2015, 11:27 PM
(24-05-2015 07:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(24-05-2015 03:19 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I have to admit that I actual love those JW's I have come across in my life. When I took my HTX (I guess it's something along the lines of high school, that gives entry to university level educations) I had one in my class. He was very positive and helpful to all for his classmates. He and I have talked religion plenty at that time. I was even invited to their mass or what they call it. I agreed as I thought it would be interesting to see how they do things but I found it quite boring. Like having a book report and going to church all in one sitting. At least dinner with his parents after was nice. He also took me to some bible/religious museum show with some of his other JW friends. lovely people too. He had some siblings who was thrown out as non believers but one of them ended up returning. They had contact to both siblings though. Also he told me about their view about organ transplantation and blood transfusions. According to him it was up to themselves if they wanted them or not if needed. He personally wouldn't.

There was a lady in the law firm we worked closely with who was JW and she was nice, at least she was at work, I didn't see her outside of the work environment.

However, publicly shaming and shunning someone in front of the whole congregation and their child is something I cannot consider 'nice'. Polite, I have seen in the ones who come to my door...that doesn't necessarily translate into nice or good. Polite can be a facade that hides something completely different.

My friend's brother would have died following an accident had his father not stepped in and allowed the transfusion the boy desperately needed. The rest of the family was willing and ready to watch him die needlessly. Also, not nice.
I know. There is plenty of bad stories to go around. But I'm sure there is some good people in all religions too. I agree that religion is bad and there is done so very many sad and horrible things in the name of various god(s). Though again I haven't really been exposed to religion in any meaningful manner.
25-05-2015, 01:10 PM
What an amazing, powerful presentation by a remarkable young woman. And, yeah, I got a bit emotional about it.

I've mentioned a couple of times that my sister is a JW as are most of "her" family. By "her" I mean her husband, some of her kids but not her other brothers and sisters. My cousin and his wife are also JWs. My mother was a Catholic (passed away 2 years ago at the age of Methuselah) Me and my (other) sister are both atheists. My brother is a racist, anti-Muslim idiot but I don't think you can that under "religion". But we've never experienced any lack of socialization with my JW sister. In the early days, I often wished I could because they were determined to convert us. My cousin and his wife are just wonderful to us as well.

My experience of them at home in no way suggests that her husband is in some way the "boss". they seem to have a very equal relationship. The only difference of which I'm aware is tha\t when the phone goes, he always answers it. But I think that might be genetic. When the phone rings at my place, I let my wife get it.

I once asked my sister what she would do if one of her kids (or grand-kids) ended up in hospital and the doctor said that the kid needed a blood transfusion - would she allow it? She hummed and hawed and basically said I don't think so.

Let me stress I have zero experience of what happens in the Kingdom Hall. And I do not doubt for a second anything the young lady said in the video. I've heard all those stories before.

It just hasn't been my experience. My sister lives in Australia. Is there a difference between JWs in the US/OZ/EU/different regions??? Are there "sects" in the JW with some believing in a very strict, traditional view and others being a bit more relaxed? Nishi seems to have had similar experiences to me.
25-05-2015, 01:22 PM
My aunt and uncle were JWs. She officially joined, he did not - in case one of the kids needed a transfusion.

I'm still trying to figure that one out. What is she was a match and he wasn't? Can you say you're a JW except for one clause in the contract?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
25-05-2015, 01:36 PM
(25-05-2015 01:22 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  My aunt and uncle were JWs. She officially joined, he did not - in case one of the kids needed a transfusion.

I'm still trying to figure that one out. What is she was a match and he wasn't? Can you say you're a JW except for one clause in the contract?

Most blood for transfusions comes out of "stock". People donate blood, it's typed, tested for HIV, Hep etc and compatibility and stored. It's only in very rare circumstances you'd get blood from a relative.

I think their approach is more like a tactic rather than religious based. If he's not an official JW, he can say "Do it" and she doesn't have to feel any guilt.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
25-05-2015, 03:35 PM
(25-05-2015 01:36 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 01:22 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  My aunt and uncle were JWs. She officially joined, he did not - in case one of the kids needed a transfusion.

Most blood for transfusions comes out of "stock". People donate blood, it's typed, tested for HIV, Hep etc and compatibility and stored. It's only in very rare circumstances you'd get blood from a relative.

I think their approach is more like a tactic rather than religious based. If he's not an official JW, he can say "Do it" and she doesn't have to feel any guilt.

Yeah, 'cause it's so easy to pull the wool over God's eyes. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2015, 03:39 PM
(25-05-2015 03:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, 'cause it's so easy to pull the wool over God's eyes. Thumbsup

Isn't that the whole basis of Pascal's Wager, at least the way it is commonly used?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-05-2015, 03:46 PM
(25-05-2015 03:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 01:36 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Most blood for transfusions comes out of "stock". People donate blood, it's typed, tested for HIV, Hep etc and compatibility and stored. It's only in very rare circumstances you'd get blood from a relative.

Yeah, 'cause it's so easy to pull the wool over God's eyes. Thumbsup

Sure it is. At least some of Tartars whose still live in Poland drink alcohol under the roof, where Allah can't see Smile

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.