High probability of other civilizations evolving in the Milky Way

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2016, 12:07 PM
High probability of other civilizations evolving in the Milky Way
A couple of researchers used refinements to the Drake Equation to calculate that "unless the probability for evolving a civilization on a habitable-zone planet is less than one in 10 billion trillion" we are not the first technologically advanced civilization in the Milky Way galaxy. Although unless the average lifetime of such a civilization is really really long there is a good chance that are we are the only one that exists right now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/opinio...ning2&_r=0

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
24-06-2016, 12:13 PM
RE: High probability of other civilizations evolving in the Milky Way
This isn't a surprise. It is however, something humans should value. But no, instead, most are stuck on murdering fellow humans over old books of myth.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2016, 02:10 PM
I knew that as a little kid. I looked up and saw the Milky Way and thought it was a well lit up street up there, like the Vegas Strip. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-06-2016, 02:42 PM
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” - Arthur C. Clarke

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Too many variables.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
24-06-2016, 02:58 PM
(24-06-2016 02:50 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Too many variables.

That. Not enough info to characterize the population our little tiny sample is drawn from.

#sigh
24-06-2016, 03:02 PM
There are over a dozen churches that worship aliens from other civilizations in the galaxy. Raelism being one I had a bit of contact with once. I met another guy in 1997 who assured me he had been in the flying saucer with Jesus of Nazareth who was at that time circling the earth and on the date known then as Y2k he'd be dropping down to meet us all. So the idea of extra galacticals is nothing new.
24-06-2016, 03:11 PM
(24-06-2016 02:50 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Too many variables.

Agreed. It wouldn't be a problem, if we knew their values though. Getting there bit by bit.

Even if complex life is abundant, it might be dominated by wildlife and national geographic analogues.

Considering that technologically advanced civilization is an oddball even for humans.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
24-06-2016, 04:45 PM
I guess I should point out the obvious --- you're probably overstating things -- by calling the indigenous lifeforms on this planet a "civilization".....

Just consider Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Idi Amin, and George W Bush before rushing to call it "civilization"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
24-06-2016, 04:52 PM
(24-06-2016 04:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I guess I should point out the obvious --- you're probably overstating things -- by calling the indigenous lifeforms on this planet a "civilization".....

Just consider Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Idi Amin, and George W Bush before rushing to call it "civilization"....

"Civilization? GREAT IDEA! Uh, when are we going to get one?"