High school classmate is a militant creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 04:05 PM
RE: High school classmate is a militant creationist
(19-09-2014 10:21 AM)Nurse Wrote:  This sounds like 90% of my Facebook friends, real life friends, and family. Infuriating, isn't it? It's why I don't get on Facebook anymore. I'll occasionally throw my family a bone and post a cute pic of my son.

The joys of being from the south, amirite?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
22-09-2014, 06:39 AM
(19-09-2014 03:52 AM)JayDee Wrote:  There's a guy I went to high school with and am now friends with on Facebook who happens to be a very strong supporter of Creationism. He also loves to say "commie liberals" are going to hell, have no morals, and there's absolutely no reason any woman should have an abortion. Never mind those who have pregnancies in their fallopian tubes or fatal birth defects. According to him, they should carry on with the birth even if it kills them both. It's God's will, of course. He's an absolute delight to see on Facebook, because he never talks about anything in his life, just talks about abortion, his hatred for Obama and anything liberal (and he's Canadian).

There is literally no point in talking to someone like that. You won't convince him of anything, no matter how logical or calm you are, and you are almost certain to end up in a worse mood than when you started.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
26-11-2014, 10:12 AM
The degree of delusion of some facebook friends is truly amazing, be it conservatism or religiosity (it could even be liberalism, but I just don't have any liberal friends that post senseless BS). I once challenged a high school "friend" on her global warming denial statements and boy did she reveal her level of delusion with conspiracy theories, bribed scientists, etc. It was immediately apparent that facts were not going to matter to her one little bit. I do fantasize about responding to posts like the ones JayDee refers to, but it is just not worth it and in the end, are just making asses of themselves in front of their friends and relatives.
26-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Sounds like you should be employing the phrase "go fuck yourself and your god, idiot."

Who needs "friends" like that?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
26-11-2014, 10:23 AM
If people I like face to face get over religious or political on Facebook I block their feed, but do not un-friend. If they get like that in person I dump them in person and online. My facebook friends are all actual friends. I want puppy stories, updates on kids, jokes, etc. No preaching or political BS in my feed. Speaking of that a couple of people are getting ready to get dumped from my feed if they do not tone it down. I never give a warning, I just block them.
27-11-2014, 05:43 AM
My Facebook is littered with people continually asking for prayer requests for the dumbest shit. The more thought I put into the idea of prayer the more I wonder how any mother fucker can delude themselves into to believing that prayer has any affect on the outcome of their situation.

"Final exams today! Prayers please!"...Fuck you! Study bitch!

The worst are the little "if you love Jesus and aren't afraid to admit it share this". Like Jesus is up in heaven, "Fuck yea look at all those people sharing the shit out of me! Facebook fucking rocks. Zuckerberg is in no matter what!"
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
27-11-2014, 06:38 AM
(26-11-2014 10:23 AM)wazzel Wrote:  If people I like face to face get over religious or political on Facebook I block their feed, but do not un-friend. If they get like that in person I dump them in person and online. My facebook friends are all actual friends. I want puppy stories, updates on kids, jokes, etc. No preaching or political BS in my feed. Speaking of that a couple of people are getting ready to get dumped from my feed if they do not tone it down. I never give a warning, I just block them.

Yeah, this is what I want Facebook for too. Nice to see pics of the grandkids that live several states away. I also block feeds but don't unfriend most of the time. Sometimes though the relgiobabble just makes me shake my head. I don't respond to it just scroll on by till I find a cute animal picture or video or a smart-assed meme.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
27-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Don't get rid of him... Just respond to his posts with undeniable logic or evidence to the contrary. Make sure to take screen shots of it in case he deletes your post (as some cowards will do). After he deletes a few on various issues, compile them into one image and post them to his wall. If he deletes that, post it to your wall and tag him in it. Show everyone what a stupid cunt he is... Way better than unfriending IMO
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
27-11-2014, 10:22 AM
(22-09-2014 06:39 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 03:52 AM)JayDee Wrote:  There's a guy I went to high school with and am now friends with on Facebook who happens to be a very strong supporter of Creationism. He also loves to say "commie liberals" are going to hell, have no morals, and there's absolutely no reason any woman should have an abortion. Never mind those who have pregnancies in their fallopian tubes or fatal birth defects. According to him, they should carry on with the birth even if it kills them both. It's God's will, of course. He's an absolute delight to see on Facebook, because he never talks about anything in his life, just talks about abortion, his hatred for Obama and anything liberal (and he's Canadian).

There is literally no point in talking to someone like that. You won't convince him of anything, no matter how logical or calm you are, and you are almost certain to end up in a worse mood than when you started.

I disagree with your initial point, that there is no point in talking to this douche. If you like to debate and would like to strengthen your skills and defense of being liberal or an atheist, then this is good practice.

But the most important part for me would be that while you likely would never convince this ignorant fool of his mistaken views, there are others (his friends and yours) who will be reading the comments, and those are the ones who could benefit from a rational critical viewpoint.

I've said it on here plenty of times, those are the ones we can help and can make a difference.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2014, 06:26 PM
(27-11-2014 08:25 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Don't get rid of him... Just respond to his posts with undeniable logic or evidence to the contrary.Make sure to take screen shots of it in case he deletes your post (as some cowards will do). After he deletes a few on various issues, compile them into one image and post them to his wall. If he deletes that, post it to your wall and tag him in it. Show everyone what a stupid cunt he is... Way better than unfriending IMO

I think this is a fairly good way to go about it, it combines controled interaction and attempting to teach the dude with a subltle follow up of ridicule when you fail. The only problem I have is the bolded point; I wouldn't have believed it before joining but undeniable evidenve or logic doesn't exist. The closest you can get is evidence or logic that is obviously true to anybody who gives a flying fuck.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.