High school students defy atheists, recite Lord's Prayer at graduation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2016, 06:18 PM
RE: High school students defy atheists, recite Lord's Prayer at graduation
The comments were full of the same ol', same ol' drivel, "god haters"... blah blah blah.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
26-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Quote:You can read more about these loathsome bullies in my best-selling book “God Less America.”

That's some fine-ass jurnalizm right there Hobo

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
26-05-2016, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2016 07:46 PM by evenheathen.)
Well they really got one over on all us atheists.

Nah. The students weren't led, as far as I can tell. They did it of their own volition. I can't see that any laws were broken. As much as I disagree with what they believe, I firmly stand behind their right to believe it and their right to proclaim it as "free" citizens.

The language in the article is lamentable, but keep in mind that it is an opinion piece... again I applaud the freedom to publicly announce one's ignorance.

Just more noise from the death rattles of religion. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 8 users Like evenheathen's post
26-05-2016, 07:47 PM
(26-05-2016 07:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well they really got one over on all us atheists.

Nah. The students weren't led, as far as I can tell. They did it of their own volition. I can't see that any laws were broken. As much as I disagree with what they believe, I firmly stand behind their right to believe it and their right to proclaim it as "free" citizens.

The language in the article is lamentable, but keep in mind that it is an opinion piece... again I applaud the freedom to publicly announce one's ignorance.

Just more noise from the death rattles of religion. Drinking Beverage

Right, you beat me to it. This is an opinion piece on Fox News so I treat it as such. If it were a physical article I would wipe my ass with it.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
26-05-2016, 08:18 PM
I stopped giving a fuck about this sort of thing a long time ago.

Its hard to get riled up about Christian kids, harmlessly praying in schools, when there are an unknown number of terrorists, loyal to ISIS roaming freely in Europe, ready to strike without warning.

I'm inclined to agree with parts of the article. A lot of atheists do come across as being perpetually offended and bullying. A lot of it seems very petty and childish to me now.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
26-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Asking for what is right and asking for equality is interpreted as being offended and as bullying. I find that to be a huge shame.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
26-05-2016, 08:51 PM
(26-05-2016 08:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Asking for what is right and asking for equality is interpreted as being offended and as bullying. I find that to be a huge shame.

I'll agree in one sense with Sam, it's how it is asked that can seem trite and obnoxious. I agree fair is fair, and the religious deserve every bit of bullying they ever gave, but who's going to be the bigger and better people?

It's one thing to stand for something, it's another to lower your cause to be as petulant as your opponent and lose respect that you should be owning, if not given.

I give no fucks about nativity scenes in courthouse squares, I do however find it awesome that the church of Satan demands that their voice be heard also.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
26-05-2016, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2016 09:03 PM by Adrianime.)
(26-05-2016 08:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(26-05-2016 08:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Asking for what is right and asking for equality is interpreted as being offended and as bullying. I find that to be a huge shame.

I'll agree in one sense with Sam, it's how it is asked that can seem trite and obnoxious. I agree fair is fair, and the religious deserve every bit of bullying they ever gave, but who's going to be the bigger and better people?

It's one thing to stand for something, it's another to lower your cause to be as petulant as your opponent and lose respect that you should be owning, if not given.

I give no fucks about nativity scenes in courthouse squares, I do however find it awesome that the church of Satan demands that their voice be heard also.
Since properly endorsing all faiths is impossible, I would prefer that none are endorsed. But at the very least if one is allowed to be endorsed, ALL should be allowed to be endorsed. With equal time.

And as an atheist highschooler..even in a very liberal and fairly non-religious area, I felt incredibly alone as a teenager. It seemed like nothing supported how I thought or what I believe. There were Christian clubs, a god is referenced in the pledge and it is generally assumed you believe in it. It felt insulting, alienating, and I hated it. Separating state endorsed religious activities is a big deal to me. And the attitude that a public event SHOULD contain religious ceremony really bugs me.

...Just my feelings and my own little rant.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
26-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Those evil atheists lose again!
So according to an article on fox news - yes I know it's a guilty pleasure of mine. Smile A group of atheists know as the "Freedom from Religion Foundation" convinced a school not to let kids sing the Lord's prayer at graduation. But the kids apparently outsmarted them by reciting the prayer instead. So the good Christians won and the evil atheists lost according to Todd Starnes who wrote the article. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/05/2...mp=hplnws#
26-05-2016, 09:12 PM
(26-05-2016 08:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Since properly endorsing all faiths is impossible, I would prefer that none are endorsed. But at the very least if one is allowed to be endorsed, ALL should be allowed to be endorsed. With equal time.

I completely agree, but we need to figure out how to make that point without resorting to petty attacks on stupid religious rituals that don't even come close to touching what it really is that is dangerous about any one religion being given free reign over the public domain, especially in government.

There needs to be a greater concentrated effort to bring the bigger issues to light, rather than lawsuits against prejudiced lawn art and non inclusive mutterings to imaginary beings. These things don't really concern me.

~ Umberto Eco