High school students defy atheists, recite Lord's Prayer at graduation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2016, 09:17 PM
RE: High school students defy atheists, recite Lord's Prayer at graduation
(26-05-2016 08:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  And as an atheist highschooler..even in a very liberal and fairly non-religious area, I felt incredibly alone as a teenager. It seemed like nothing supported how I thought or what I believe. There were Christian clubs, a god is referenced in the pledge and it is generally assumed you believe in it. It felt insulting, alienating, and I hated it. Separating state endorsed religious activities is a big deal to me. And the attitude that a public event SHOULD contain religious ceremony really bugs me.

...Just my feelings and my own little rant.

I responded before you edited, I see your point and empathize. But this too should be handled in a better way in order to get the point across that it is harmful to have one belief system that overshadows everything else. Once the bigger point is made, the smaller stuff should be easier to handle.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
26-05-2016, 09:36 PM
I just think those high school graduates who partook in this prayer should have been court-ordered to reimburse the cost of the graduation ceremony (including the time of all teachers who participated) back to the school and every parent who objected to this religious display.

Edit: I wonder how many financially motivated families would be more than willing to let these students cover the admission cost for their party of ten...
26-05-2016, 09:41 PM
I'm glad I wasn't a kid at this graduation. Having to listen to a bunch of cultists talk to their imaginary friend, instead of getting the silly ceremony over with and getting the hell outta there. My graduation ceremony took long enough as it was. What the fuck does prayer have to do with graduating high school?
26-05-2016, 09:45 PM
(26-05-2016 09:41 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I'm glad I wasn't a kid at this graduation. Having to listen to a bunch of cultists talk to their imaginary friend, instead of getting the silly ceremony over with and getting the hell outta there. My graduation ceremony took long enough as it was. What the fuck does prayer have to do with graduating high school?

Yeah, I'd have made such a stink.... Angry
26-05-2016, 10:11 PM
RE: Those evil atheists lose again!
Duplicate thread, here's a link to the other one.

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-05-2016, 12:42 AM
Um. Correct me if I'm wrong, state promoting one religion over another or allowing the same on state property is what's verboten. I would have thought free exercise of religion was fine - i.e. as long as it's the students choosing to do it rather than the school promoting it, then it's OK?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-05-2016, 12:53 AM
(27-05-2016 12:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  Um. Correct me if I'm wrong, state promoting one religion over another or allowing the same on state property is what's verboten. I would have thought free exercise of religion was fine - i.e. as long as it's the students choosing to do it rather than the school promoting it, then it's OK?
Not that we should have split threads...but yeah, you're right.

But the kids basically took that "verboten" exercise, and did it privately, to prove a point that the prayer should be part of the graduation. What the kids did, at worst, could be considered disrupting the ceremony. But it's the attitude that lead to them doing it that bothers me most. It shows a sense of privilege and entitlement.

Too tired to say anything else...

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
27-05-2016, 12:57 AM
(27-05-2016 12:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  Um. Correct me if I'm wrong, state promoting one religion over another or allowing the same on state property is what's verboten. I would have thought free exercise of religion was fine - i.e. as long as it's the students choosing to do it rather than the school promoting it, then it's OK?

Kids can pray on their own time in school. The graduation can have a moment of silence, where people can pray (or not) on their own. However the school cannot allow students to deliver an invocation as part of the graduation ceremony, that crosses the line of separation. A student cannot get up during the ceremony and impose their religiosity upon everyone else in attendance; the First Amendment doesn't grant you the right to a captive audience.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
27-05-2016, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2016 03:07 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-05-2016 09:36 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I just think those high school graduates who partook in this prayer should have been court-ordered to reimburse the cost of the graduation ceremony (including the time of all teachers who participated) back to the school and every parent who objected to this religious display.

Edit: I wonder how many financially motivated families would be more than willing to let these students cover the admission cost for their party of ten...

There should be some consequence for the stunt. It demonstrates that they do not understand the Constitution. The children who participated should have some "***statement" attached to their graduation, until a 10 page Civics paper is submitted explaining how this is offensive to Jewish people, and other religions and how this is antithetical to the Constitution. Then the Civics program should be asked to demonstrate how this is contrary to what they teach, and what is in the program. It has nothing to do with atheism. It has only to do with the Constitution. Next year, they should be warned, any similar disruptive stunt will result in them having to repeat Civic 101, or they don't graduate.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-05-2016, 03:14 AM
Quote: which seemed to appease the group of perpetually-offended atheists, agnostics and free-thinkers from Wisconsin. You can read more about these loathsome bullies in my best-selling book “God Less America.”

It baffles me how someone can think that being a free thinker is in any way a bad thing.