High school students defy atheists, recite Lord's Prayer at graduation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2016, 03:19 AM
RE: High school students defy atheists, recite Lord's Prayer at graduation
(26-05-2016 05:19 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  This sounds like a job for THE CHURCH OF SATAN!!!!

If I was living in the US I would join the Church of Satan specifically for these situations. I used to know a few rituals from the Golden Dawn before I grew up and realised that it was all woo. Unfortunately getting sky clad and prancing around as a wiccan which I would prefer would get me arrested.

I suppose it's always possible to chant the periodic table.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
27-05-2016, 06:35 AM
This article doesn't surprise me at all.

Apparently, Todd Starnes is an ultra-conservative and a closet Baptist.

And despite admitting that they were defying the Constitution, it was claimed that "Technically, the graduation class did not break any rules. They were ordered not to sing The Lord’s Prayer. The school district did not say anything about reciting The Lord’s Prayer". This sort of nonsense is typical of how the church constantly insinuates its beliefs into our nominally secular society.

It's definitely not constitutional to teach religion in US public schools. These schools are run by the government, and therefore, must obey the First Amendment. This means that while they can teach about the influences of religion in history, literature and philosophy—they can't promote religious beliefs or practices as part of their curriculum. In 1992, the US Supreme Court determined in Lee v. Weisman that graduation prayers are unconstitutional in public schools.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-05-2016, 06:56 AM
(27-05-2016 03:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Unfortunately getting sky clad and prancing around as a wiccan which I would prefer would get me arrested.

That would certainly get everyone's attention though... Consider

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
27-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Ah, East Liverpool, OH. Hometown of my anti-vaccine, YEC, conservative, Fox News loving...father-in-law.

One of my sister-in-laws sent me an article about this a few weeks ago. Small town and small-minded fools.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
27-05-2016, 07:13 AM
The persecution complex is strong

http://www.reviewonline.com/page/content...id/605460/

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
27-05-2016, 07:20 AM
(27-05-2016 07:13 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The persecution complex is strong

http://www.reviewonline.com/page/content...id/605460/

From your link:
Quote:She cautioned the board that prohibiting this type of music could lead to other prohibitions, including Mozart, music of the medieval or Renaissance periods.

slippery slope, oh my.
Carlin said it best. Mother's milk leads to heroin.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
27-05-2016, 08:05 AM
I think the small victories count -- and will add up. Eventually we will get to a place where public ceremony and religious ceremony are truly separate. Of course I have nothing against private religious ceremony, or using a public event as a showcase of religious ceremony (if that is what it was meant for, and it is done fairly).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
27-05-2016, 08:23 AM
(26-05-2016 05:18 PM)skyking Wrote:  FOX Ahem...news

Big Grin

[Image: 6dc6af7018fed1fb757805f8e00fb37c.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
27-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Idiotic opinions given bandwidth on Fox? I'm shocked. Shocked.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-05-2016, 06:57 PM
I can imagine what I would've done in this situation in high school. I was quite ... mischievous. I refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance in high school because I object to the under God bit. Now I am a large and loud man with a resonating voice that is hard to drown out. I think I would have started to recite the original version of the Pledge "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." It always pissed my teachers off when I pointed that out to them. Not a damn thing they could do about it. And what are my fellow students gonna do? Pledge allegiance to the Republic or the Lord? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what my young fearless self would've done.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post