Highly recommended: "Koran by Heart" on HBO

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Highly recommended: "Koran by Heart" on HBO
For those of you who get HBO, I highly recommend the documentary they recently showed, "Koran by Heart." I'm sure it'll be repeated.

This beautiful film follows three adorable 10-year-olds who have traveled to Cairo to be contestants in a prestigious Koran-reciting contest. One kid has memorized the ENTIRE Koran . . . in Arabic, of course, a language he doesn't understand. The mind boggles. I felt like cheering and crying at the same time--cheering for these plucky kids pushed by their parents to win honor for family and country (I was reminded of the kind of American parents who enter their 6-year-old daughter in the Little Miss Texas contest; this is a helluva lot more impressive), crying for the tragedy of wasted young minds. (The boy from Tajikistan who learned the Koran by heart was virtually illiterate in his own language.)

Synopsis and other info here:

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/koran-by-heart/

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
24-05-2012, 12:53 PM
RE: Highly recommended: "Koran by Heart" on HBO
(04-08-2011 12:26 PM)cufflink Wrote:  For those of you who get HBO, I highly recommend the documentary they recently showed, "Koran by Heart." I'm sure it'll be repeated.

This beautiful film follows three adorable 10-year-olds who have traveled to Cairo to be contestants in a prestigious Koran-reciting contest. One kid has memorized the ENTIRE Koran . . . in Arabic, of course, a language he doesn't understand. The mind boggles. I felt like cheering and crying at the same time--cheering for these plucky kids pushed by their parents to win honor for family and country (I was reminded of the kind of American parents who enter their 6-year-old daughter in the Little Miss Texas contest; this is a helluva lot more impressive), crying for the tragedy of wasted young minds. (The boy from Tajikistan who learned the Koran by heart was virtually illiterate in his own language.)

Synopsis and other info here:

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/koran-by-heart/
Nice. I'll have to catch it on HBO.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply