Hijacked by Religion. (quotes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2013, 09:00 PM
RE: Hijacked by Religion. (quotes)
(07-11-2013 08:30 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Plenty of Nietzsche was confiscated by Nazis for their own ends, though they weren't really religious.

Gott Mit Eins was on the belt buckles of all Nazi soldiers that translates to "God with us".

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2013, 02:43 PM
(07-11-2013 09:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Gott Mit Eins was on the belt buckles of all Nazi soldiers that translates to "God with us".

I was always taught that Hitler was a bit of a mystic/Nordic religious person, at least privately.
09-11-2013, 03:42 PM
(09-11-2013 02:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I was always taught that Hitler was a bit of a mystic/Nordic religious person, at least privately.

Hitler was a christee.

I'm going with John Stuart Mills for the origin of the OP's quote:

Quote:In 1867 the British philosopher and political theorist John Stuart Mill delivered an inaugural address at the University of St. Andrews. The second sentence in the excerpt below expresses part of the idea of the quotation under investigation:

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.

Thanks to TSauce - I always thought it was Edmund Burke but, it looks like he only had the very basic notion of the idea, while Mills galvanized it into near poetry. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
(09-11-2013 02:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 09:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Gott Mit Eins was on the belt buckles of all Nazi soldiers that translates to "God with us".

I was always taught that Hitler was a bit of a mystic/Nordic religious person, at least privately.

Himmler was actually the one that was really into the Occult. Hitler was a confirmed Catholic and very much a christian. It is irrelevant as I don't think Hitler did what he did because of his religion, more because of his politics and a desire for power.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-11-2013, 04:34 PM
(09-11-2013 04:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Hitler was a confirmed Catholic and very much a christian. It is irrelevant as I don't think Hitler did what he did because of his religion, more because of his politics and a desire for power.

Probably a bit of both; there is a fine line between self delusion and power trip.

Quote:My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922

Coincidentally, it happens to be the 75th anniversary of Kristallnacht.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
09-11-2013, 06:44 PM
(09-11-2013 04:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-11-2013 02:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I was always taught that Hitler was a bit of a mystic/Nordic religious person, at least privately.

Himmler was actually the one that was really into the Occult. Hitler was a confirmed Catholic and very much a christian. It is irrelevant as I don't think Hitler did what he did because of his religion, more because of his politics and a desire for power.

Those who try to pin Nazi atrocities on atheism forget that atheists were banned from joining the SS.

The stars are matter, we are matter... but it doesn't matter. - Captain Beefheart
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
09-11-2013, 07:02 PM
(09-11-2013 06:44 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(09-11-2013 04:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Himmler was actually the one that was really into the Occult. Hitler was a confirmed Catholic and very much a christian. It is irrelevant as I don't think Hitler did what he did because of his religion, more because of his politics and a desire for power.

Those who try to pin Nazi atrocities on atheism forget that atheists were banned from joining the SS.

That is an attack used by "low information" people. Or to put it another way idiots.

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
09-11-2013, 07:24 PM
(09-11-2013 07:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That is an attack used by "low information" people. Or to put it another way idiots.

Ha- I see this being said by your avatar in his most regal Bugs Bunny voice - Laugh out load

[+] 2 users Like kim's post
10-11-2013, 07:51 AM
(09-11-2013 04:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

True; though he stopped taking sacraments and was altogether against Papal bull. The choice of the Indo-Aryan swastika as a symbol reinforces my belief that he was at least a little bit of a mystic. As you said, it doesn't matter because he was an asshole no matter what.
18-11-2013, 08:10 AM
(10-11-2013 07:51 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(09-11-2013 04:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Himmler was actually the one that was really into the Occult. Hitler was a confirmed Catholic and very much a christian. It is irrelevant as I don't think Hitler did what he did because of his religion, more because of his politics and a desire for power.

True; though he stopped taking sacraments and was altogether against Papal bull. The choice of the Indo-Aryan swastika as a symbol reinforces my belief that he was at least a little bit of a mystic. As you said, it doesn't matter because he was an asshole no matter what.

Mysticism is not required. Hitler was an artist (or wanna-be artist if you like), and there are documents which chronicle his designs of various Nazi symbols and symbolism. In much the same way any artist or graphic designer studies the best way to create a symbol, image, icon, or logo--so too did Hitler. He picked the swastika because of the power and meaning of the symbol itself, as well as it's easily recognizable and striking visual design--and he was very clever in this regard.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com