Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 11:40 AM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
(06-11-2015 11:38 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:11 AM)jennybee Wrote:  What is the cost on those?

EDIT: Oops just saw you added that in at the bottom of your post. My knife is definitely on the low end in terms of cost, but I want to upgrade eventually. I'm hoping I can buy the knife without the leather holster since I don't use leather Undecided

You can get an Ontario RAT-5 with a non leather sheath on Amazon for $70.

Awesome Smile Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 08:25 PM
I'm more of a tomahawk man, but I don't limit myself to one item anyway Tongue I carry a small Ka-Bar TDI with a custom kydex sheath (quick draw self defense only, not good for a utility knife) and a Leatherman MUT on my belt, an RMJ tomahawk attached to my vest or backpack (though I sometimes downgrade to my lighter Browning if I'm really trying to keep my weight down for whatever reason), and, if relevant to what I'm up to, a Woodsman's Pal (by far my favorite machete style blade) in my ruck sack. Works amazing as a bush machete and, in a pinch, I've used it to cut down small trees. I had a kydex sheath custom made for it was well, which was a pain in the ass because I had to go through a few experimental designs before I found something that would work with the unusual design of the blade, namely that sharpened lip at the end.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
06-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Aside from acting as a fancier hatchet, this is one of the reasons I like to have a good tomahawk as an emergency breaching tool. It won't ever replace a good full sized breaching axe when it comes to getting through doors, whether they're wooden house doors or aluminum car doors, but it's a hell of a lot lighter and will do the job.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
06-11-2015, 08:39 PM
(06-11-2015 08:25 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm more of a tomahawk man, but I don't limit myself to one item anyway Tongue I carry a small Ka-Bar TDI with a custom kydex sheath (quick draw self defense only, not good for a utility knife) and a Leatherman MUT on my belt, an RMJ tomahawk attached to my vest or backpack (though I sometimes downgrade to my lighter Browning if I'm really trying to keep my weight down for whatever reason), and, if relevant to what I'm up to, a Woodsman's Pal (by far my favorite machete style blade) in my ruck sack. Works amazing as a bush machete and, in a pinch, I've used it to cut down small trees. I had a kydex sheath custom made for it was well, which was a pain in the ass because I had to go through a few experimental designs before I found something that would work with the unusual design of the blade, namely that sharpened lip at the end.

Yeah, I don't limit myself to one item either, it was more hypothetical Wink I prefer to pack as light as I can, so I like to limit what I take. I don't like feeling bogged down with a bunch of stuff, I'd rather enjoy the scenery and be able to move easily on the trails. Plus, I really like going rustic and packing light really makes you do that--no room for extras. The only "extra" I take is my yoga mat (but that's fairly light), rolls up easy, and can be easily attached to my pack. I also can use it to sit on or put down for extra padding for sleeping.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-11-2015, 09:00 PM
(06-11-2015 08:31 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Aside from acting as a fancier hatchet, this is one of the reasons I like to have a good tomahawk as an emergency breaching tool. It won't ever replace a good full sized breaching axe when it comes to getting through doors, whether they're wooden house doors or aluminum car doors, but it's a hell of a lot lighter and will do the job.

You could easily use that to build a makeshift shelter if you needed to. Also good protection against zombies Wink

Since I just recently got into backpacking, I'm adding to my "must haves" as I go. The tomahawk definitely looks like something I'm going to add to my "must have" list Thumbsup
07-11-2015, 03:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 03:17 AM by Mathilda.)
(06-11-2015 11:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I dunno if anyone is into lightweight/ultralight backpacking like I am, but this is a good series on youtube. I'll just post the first one here and you can check the other ones out on youtube if interested.

When I was buying all my gear about ten years ago I went for ultra lightweight. I then carried about 5 kilos of Hasselblad camera equipment with me. I still need to get a dehydrator and a way of sealing food in air tight bags.

One reason was that I wanted to get the basics into the harness pocket of my paraglider in case I ever landed in the boonies. People have slept rolled up in their paragliders before. That's not something I want to do in Scotland with the highland midge out in force.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
07-11-2015, 08:48 AM
(07-11-2015 03:14 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I dunno if anyone is into lightweight/ultralight backpacking like I am, but this is a good series on youtube. I'll just post the first one here and you can check the other ones out on youtube if interested.

When I was buying all my gear about ten years ago I went for ultra lightweight. I then carried about 5 kilos of Hasselblad camera equipment with me. I still need to get a dehydrator and a way of sealing food in air tight bags.

One reason was that I wanted to get the basics into the harness pocket of my paraglider in case I ever landed in the boonies. People have slept rolled up in their paragliders before. That's not something I want to do in Scotland with the highland midge out in force.

I wish you lived in the U.S., I so would love to hang out with you Big Grin
08-11-2015, 09:59 AM
This is the mountain that I can see from my bedroom window. It's the main reason I bought this house Wink I went for a hike there yesterday. If anyone comes to Northern Cali before June, let me know and I'll take you on a hike there, it's absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=517
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
08-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Just found this...looks fun! On my list before I leave CA Big Grin

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/story/s.../75179966/
08-11-2015, 10:29 AM
(06-11-2015 09:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 08:31 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Aside from acting as a fancier hatchet, this is one of the reasons I like to have a good tomahawk as an emergency breaching tool. It won't ever replace a good full sized breaching axe when it comes to getting through doors, whether they're wooden house doors or aluminum car doors, but it's a hell of a lot lighter and will do the job.

You could easily use that to build a makeshift shelter if you needed to. Also good protection against zombies Wink

Since I just recently got into backpacking, I'm adding to my "must haves" as I go. The tomahawk definitely looks like something I'm going to add to my "must have" list Thumbsup

Zombies aside I'd much rather have a saw than a tomahawk or axe for cutting up largish wood. Something along the lines of a Sven Saw or folding pruning saw. I find sawing to be less work than chopping, and not a risky as far as injuring yourself. If weight is an issue you can just carry the blade and make something like this.

[Image: f52d6205bf298b2f97140fc38bc38196.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post