Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2015, 11:52 AM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
Jenny, if I ever go hiking in America then I'll get in touch, likewise if you ever visit Scotland or Germany. Especially Scotland, we're particularly familiar with hiking there. I would love to wild camp in the temperate mountinous regions of the US. Which parts do you recommend? I'm always happiest living where I can see mountains.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
08-11-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm biased, but Alaska (summer), Western Washington, or Colorado Rockies would be my first choices.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
08-11-2015, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 02:44 PM by jennybee.)
I used to just do day hikes, but more recently got into backpacking. I highly recommend hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I stayed in Luray, Virginia in a remote cabin. It was quite romantic. Tongue It had a hot tub, which obviously wasn't roughin' it, but it was really nice to have after a long day of hiking. And quite romantic under the stars with no one else around Wink

For backpacking, I loved this one in the Santa Cruz Mountains...

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/skyline-...-sea-trail

And this one in Truckee, CA...

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/paradise-lake
08-11-2015, 02:43 PM
(08-11-2015 10:17 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Just found this...looks fun! On my list before I leave CA Big Grin

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/story/s.../75179966/

Gosh Jennybee, I lived in almost every area of California at one point or another. My grandparents lived near Mt Diablo. My grandfather was a rock hound ( this would be about 60 years ago) and would go hiking in search for interesting rocks like California Jade, opals and all kinds of other stuff up on Mt Diablo. He had lapidary machines which shined the rocks and with some of his dental tools (he was a dentist) he'd make jewelry with the rocks. I still have some of the opals.

Anyway, my grandfather built a cabin in the Tahoe area back in the 1930's when he was a young man and we lived there for several years when I was little. Except for a few years living in Los Angeles I've mostly breathed mountain air.

Even though I live in a large city I'm about an hour from Mt Hood and 20 minutes from Columbia Gorge here in Oregon. It's got some of the best hiking trails going.

I just got out of yoga about two hours ago and this is the view from the parking lot of Mt Hood. It's pretty neat.

[Image: BurnsideAndMtHood.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-11-2015, 02:53 PM
(08-11-2015 02:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 10:17 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Just found this...looks fun! On my list before I leave CA Big Grin

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/story/s.../75179966/

Gosh Jennybee, I lived in almost every area of California at one point or another. My grandparents lived near Mt Diablo. My grandfather was a rock hound ( this would be about 60 years ago) and would go hiking in search for interesting rocks like California Jade, opals and all kinds of other stuff up on Mt Diablo. He had lapidary machines which shined the rocks and with some of his dental tools (he was a dentist) he'd make jewelry with the rocks. I still have some of the opals.

Anyway, my grandfather built a cabin in the Tahoe area back in the 1930's when he was a young man and we lived there for several years when I was little. Except for a few years living in Los Angeles I've mostly breathed mountain air.

Even though I live in a large city I'm about an hour from Mt Hood and 20 minutes from Columbia Gorge here in Oregon. It's got some of the best hiking trails going.

I just got out of yoga about two hours ago and this is the view from the parking lot of Mt Hood. It's pretty neat.

[Image: BurnsideAndMtHood.jpg]

So pretty Smile I have heard Oregon is gorgeous.

I would love to live in a cabin in Tahoe. I've vacationed there many times and rented cabins there--but would love to live there year round.

I feel like life/society has become so complex and materialistic nowadays. I prefer a non-materialistic existence--the simple life. That's why I think I love escaping into nature and getting away from everything. It's just so peaceful there and so pretty. The air is so crisp and clean. I love being around wildlife in their natural habitat. I like sleeping with them under the stars.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Diablo is great hiking.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-11-2015, 03:09 PM
(08-11-2015 02:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I used to just do day hikes, but more recently got into backpacking. I highly recommend hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I stayed in Luray, Virginia in a remote cabin. It was quite romantic. :P It had a hot tub, which obviously wasn't roughin' it, but it was really nice to have after a long day of hiking. And quite romantic under the stars with no one else around ;)

Yup! Truckee River. The Cabin I mentioned in my previous post was about 500 yards from the Upper Truckee River. The river was full of beavers that damned it up. One time some of the fisherman were going to shoot the beavers because they made the river unfishable and my mother went across the meadow to the river and started cussing the fisherman out. The air was blue with her swearing and she knew every curse word known to man.

Anyway, some of them shot the beavers anyway. My mom was so pissed.

I have a funny story about fish in the Truckee River. My father was a classically trained pianist and we had this old upright piano at the Cabin and my dad would get up almost every morning and play the piano. In the summer the sound of his playing would waft across the meadow over to the Truckee river nearby. A couple of fisherman came by, knocked on the door and asked my dad to stop playing the piano because they thought it might disturb the fish. Well, it turned out the opposite was true. The fish actually liked my dad's piano playing. After a couple of weeks they'd stop by and actually ask him to play the piano for the fish. The fish seemed to like Chopin and Beethoven the best. They would hang around in schools in the deeper, quiet parts of the river when he played and the fisherman were catching fish like crazy.

I sure do miss my dad's piano playing......and the fish do too!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-11-2015, 04:40 PM
(08-11-2015 03:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 02:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I used to just do day hikes, but more recently got into backpacking. I highly recommend hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I stayed in Luray, Virginia in a remote cabin. It was quite romantic. Tongue It had a hot tub, which obviously wasn't roughin' it, but it was really nice to have after a long day of hiking. And quite romantic under the stars with no one else around Wink

Yup! Truckee River. The Cabin I mentioned in my previous post was about 500 yards from the Upper Truckee River. The river was full of beavers that damned it up. One time some of the fisherman were going to shoot the beavers because they made the river unfishable and my mother went across the meadow to the river and started cussing the fisherman out. The air was blue with her swearing and she knew every curse word known to man.

Anyway, some of them shot the beavers anyway. My mom was so pissed.

I have a funny story about fish in the Truckee River. My father was a classically trained pianist and we had this old upright piano at the Cabin and my dad would get up almost every morning and play the piano. In the summer the sound of his playing would waft across the meadow over to the Truckee river nearby. A couple of fisherman came by, knocked on the door and asked my dad to stop playing the piano because they thought it might disturb the fish. Well, it turned out the opposite was true. The fish actually liked my dad's piano playing. After a couple of weeks they'd stop by and actually ask him to play the piano for the fish. The fish seemed to like Chopin and Beethoven the best. They would hang around in schools in the deeper, quiet parts of the river when he played and the fisherman were catching fish like crazy.

I sure do miss my dad's piano playing......and the fish do too!

That's too funny about your dad Big Grin What a nice place to grow up!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Has anyone used any freeze dried food kits to go backpacking or camping with? If so, just curious what brand you use and if they are any good?

If you don't use freeze dried kits, what types of food do you bring? Looking for lightweight ideas.
01-12-2015, 09:39 PM
(01-12-2015 09:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Has anyone used any freeze dried food kits to go backpacking or camping with? If so, just curious what brand you use and if they are any good?

If you don't use freeze dried kits, what types of food do you bring? Looking for lightweight ideas.

Are you talking specifically about winter backpacking, or backpacking in general?

'Murican Canadian