Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 09:43 PM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
Ha, there's an article about us from a couple weeks ago in Backcountry Magazine. Well, different unit, same brigade, same training site, same training. We're recon, and the guys pictured here are our infantry counterparts.
Photo Gallery: Green Mountain Snow Soldiers

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
01-12-2015, 09:56 PM
(01-12-2015 09:39 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 09:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Has anyone used any freeze dried food kits to go backpacking or camping with? If so, just curious what brand you use and if they are any good?

If you don't use freeze dried kits, what types of food do you bring? Looking for lightweight ideas.

Are you talking specifically about winter backpacking, or backpacking in general?

Just backpacking in general. Although, winter backpacking food items would be helpful as well.
01-12-2015, 10:02 PM
(01-12-2015 09:43 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Ha, there's an article about us from a couple weeks ago in Backcountry Magazine. Well, different unit, same brigade, same training site, same training. We're recon, and the guys pictured here are our infantry counterparts.
Photo Gallery: Green Mountain Snow Soldiers

Very cool. It must be interesting training too--since the article mentions they are specifically prepared to fight in mountain environments.
01-12-2015, 10:58 PM
(01-12-2015 09:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 09:39 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Are you talking specifically about winter backpacking, or backpacking in general?

Just backpacking in general. Although, winter backpacking food items would be helpful as well.

I keep it pretty simple usually, so my own backpacking meal habits might be a little more boring (and less vegan friendly) than what you're looking for Smile

• My own simple concoction: Whole milk powder with added whey protein and multivitamin powder - because, though it requires rehydration, it does not require cooking. Pretty much my go to "food" item. I'll live off this and nothing else for a few days if I need to.
• Honey or maple peanut butter - (plastic jar only) energy/protein dense. A single 16 oz jar of the maple peanut butter I usually get contains about 2,500 calories. That's some good space efficiency right there. In cold weather, I keep it in my side pack tucked as close to my body as possible and also keep it inside my sleeping bag at night (along with however much water I expect to need the next day if I know I won't have an opportunity to thaw it). These two habits are usually sufficient to keep it from freezing solid. On exceptionally cold nights, it's also nice to have something to snack on during the night to keep my metabolism going strong. If your body isn't generating heat, all the layers in the world aren't gonna cut it.
• If I'm sure I'll have the opportunity and means to make frequent campfires, I'll also bring egg powder.
• Rehydration salt packs - Not just to keep up those electrolytes, but also because it slightly lowers the freezing temperature of my drinking water.
• Dried fruit packs - Dried pineapple, dates, things like that. Nuts are a good choice, like you mentioned, though I don't usually have them myself simply because the peanut butter fills that role. Just a snack item really. I don't carry these in significant quantities.

And, though I usually also have complete dehydrated meal packs, that's only because the Army gives them to me. I probably wouldn't go that fancy if it were just me and I was going light.

Now, if I were traveling with someone else for fun and making some good meals was supposed to be part of that fun, I'd probably make some big modifications to my list. Otherwise, my backpacking diet is pretty boring. Especially in cold weather.

And yes, I also keep my slingshot with me in case I end up having to start taking out squirrels or something Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
01-12-2015, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2015 12:10 AM by jennybee.)
That's a good list. I usually bring an assortment of nut butters, along with a granola trail mix concoction and some vegan premade meal packs (think lunchables but healthy and don't need to be refrigerated). These were fine for the shorter durations I've been going on but I would like to get into longer excursions and obviously you need more food and more calories for something like that. Some of the people in the backpacking forum I frequent swear by freeze dried food. I found a company called mountain house that has a bean freeze dried meal that appears to be vegan. I'm still trying to find some more companies that offer some vegan freeze dried options. I'm also hoping they taste okay. I really hope it never comes to the point where I need to eat a squirrel Tongue
02-12-2015, 12:11 AM
These guys make a good meal.. http://outdoorherbivore.com/vegan/

A staple food for me is instant oatmeal. It's fast, hot, and packed with energy. Plus I carry LOTS of dried fruit.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-12-2015, 12:19 AM
(02-12-2015 12:11 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  These guys make a good meal.. http://outdoorherbivore.com/vegan/

A staple food for me is instant oatmeal. It's fast, hot, and packed with energy. Plus I carry LOTS of dried fruit.

Thanks! I'll check them out!
02-12-2015, 01:52 AM
(01-12-2015 09:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Has anyone used any freeze dried food kits to go backpacking or camping with? If so, just curious what brand you use and if they are any good?

If you don't use freeze dried kits, what types of food do you bring? Looking for lightweight ideas.

Freeze-dried foods can be awesome. Drooling

However, there are also simple grocery store items to extend or complement them that are less expensive like pasta, oriental noodle soups, crackers, dried milk, cookies, and peanut butter. PB is worth its weight in nutrition and yumminess.

Also, don't forget spices and chocolate.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-12-2015, 07:33 AM
(02-12-2015 01:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Freeze-dried foods can be awesome. Drooling

However, there are also simple grocery store items to extend or complement them that are less expensive like pasta, oriental noodle soups, crackers, dried milk, cookies, and peanut butter. PB is worth its weight in nutrition and yumminess.

Also, don't forget spices and chocolate.

Oh good, I'm glad they taste good! They don't look extremely appetizing, but that's a good point, you could dress them up with some other things.
02-12-2015, 07:35 AM
The outdoor herbivore link Stark posted has tons of vegan meals! Thank you! Heart
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post