Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2015, 03:32 PM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
I've got several tools for making fire in my kit. They include a lighter, some UCO stormproof matches, a ferro rod, and a small magnifying glass. For tender I keep some char cloth and some waxed Jute twine.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
21-12-2015, 03:36 PM
(21-12-2015 03:32 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I've got several tools for making fire in my kit. They include a lighter, some UCO stormproof matches, a ferro rod, and a small magnifying glass. For tender I keep some char cloth and some waxed Jute twine.

I have things like that too, but I still like finding out about some MacGyver ways to do things. Tongue I have a book on survival that I got awhile back that has all sorts of MacGyver-like ways to do things. I find that sort of stuff interesting because I'm a nerd. Wink
21-12-2015, 05:30 PM
(21-12-2015 03:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It's been rainy here so no hiking lately for me No But I have been watching some survival videos--I thought this one was cool.

Matches? We don't need no stinking matches!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
21-12-2015, 05:53 PM
(21-12-2015 05:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 03:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It's been rainy here so no hiking lately for me No But I have been watching some survival videos--I thought this one was cool.

Matches? We don't need no stinking matches!

Laugh out load I normally don't mind some rain hiking, but I just got over a cold and am trying to stay healthy for the holidays--so didn't think hiking in that would be a wise decision. Wink So instead thought I'd stay in and watch a hot guy teach about survival techniques Tongue
21-12-2015, 06:49 PM

I'm going to try this. I read some of the comments and several people had trouble lighting the candle, they were burning their fingers.

Jenny, do you go hiking by yourself?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-12-2015, 06:58 PM
(21-12-2015 06:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

I'm going to try this. I read some of the comments and several people had trouble lighting the candle, they were burning their fingers.

Jenny, do you go hiking by yourself?

I think this sort of thing should be used in a pinch. Like during the zombie apocalypse Tongue Laugh out load

I do go hiking most of the time by myself (or with my dogs). My ex hated the outdoors and most of my friends aren't into that sort of thing. I am thinking of doing a week long backpacking trip once I move to Maine and get settled. Hopefully, I'll meet a nice guy who likes backpacking and would be willing to go with me. If not, I'm going to go by myself. Wink
31-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Just curious on everyone's opinion...or if anyone has done anything like this before, I'd be interested in hearing how it went.

One of the other forums I go to is a Backpacking Forum. They have one section where you can look for another person to go backpacking with, someone who may want to hike the same trail/same duration/same style (i.e. rustic/ultralight) as you. I know some people on that forum have done it and new people post things every day. Here's why I would consider it: I am somewhat new to backpacking and my longest trip so far was 3 days. I want to go for a week and because of that, I wouldn't mind taking along someone a little more experienced than myself. But at the same time, I am not sure what type of person I would be getting because it's online--so there's the safety aspect to consider. Undecided Obviously, I would meet and hang out with the person ahead of time before trekking off into the wilderness with them...but safety is obviously still a bit of concern. I also tend to overanalyze Hobo Tongue

What do you guys think?
31-12-2015, 11:19 AM
(31-12-2015 11:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Just curious on everyone's opinion...or if anyone has done anything like this before, I'd be interested in hearing how it went.

One of the other forums I go to is a Backpacking Forum. They have one section where you can look for another person to go backpacking with, someone who may want to hike the same trail/same duration/same style (i.e. rustic/ultralight) as you. I know some people on that forum have done it and new people post things every day. Here's why I would consider it: I am somewhat new to backpacking and my longest trip so far was 3 days. I want to go for a week and because of that, I wouldn't mind taking along someone a little more experienced than myself. But at the same time, I am not sure what type of person I would be getting because it's online--so there's the safety aspect to consider. Undecided Obviously, I would meet and hang out with the person ahead of time before trekking off into the wilderness with them...but safety is obviously still a bit of concern. I also tend to overanalyze Hobo Tongue

What do you guys think?

Can always meet up with the person at a public place to get a sense of 'em. If you ain't in no hurry to do the backpacking, meet several times at a public place! Shy
Maybe ask around that forum for what folks there know about the one offering to help?
Strap a tent on your backpack? Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
31-12-2015, 11:28 AM
(31-12-2015 11:19 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 11:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Just curious on everyone's opinion...or if anyone has done anything like this before, I'd be interested in hearing how it went.

What do you guys think?

Can always meet up with the person at a public place to get a sense of 'em. If you ain't in no hurry to do the backpacking, meet several times at a public place! Shy
Maybe ask around that forum for what folks there know about the one offering to help?
Strap a tent on your backpack? Tongue

Yes, definitely would meet them ahead of time Thumbsup I like your idea of asking around the forum. Smile
31-12-2015, 03:03 PM

What do you guys think?

Get references, carry a gun.

Or just choose another female. Drinking Beverage

Seriously, though, get references and get to know the person some.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post