Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2015, 03:25 PM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
(31-12-2015 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 11:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Just curious on everyone's opinion...or if anyone has done anything like this before, I'd be interested in hearing how it went.

One of the other forums I go to is a Backpacking Forum. They have one section where you can look for another person to go backpacking with, someone who may want to hike the same trail/same duration/same style (i.e. rustic/ultralight) as you. I know some people on that forum have done it and new people post things every day. Here's why I would consider it: I am somewhat new to backpacking and my longest trip so far was 3 days. I want to go for a week and because of that, I wouldn't mind taking along someone a little more experienced than myself. But at the same time, I am not sure what type of person I would be getting because it's online--so there's the safety aspect to consider. Undecided Obviously, I would meet and hang out with the person ahead of time before trekking off into the wilderness with them...but safety is obviously still a bit of concern. I also tend to overanalyze Hobo Tongue

What do you guys think?

Get references, carry a gun.

Or just choose another female. Drinking Beverage

Seriously, though, get references and get to know the person some.

I wouldn't mind going with another female if I could find one. A lot of the ones on the forum go with their husbands or boyfriends.

I am planning on carrying a gun whether I go by myself or with someone else Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2015, 04:00 PM
(31-12-2015 03:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Get references, carry a gun.

Or just choose another female. Drinking Beverage

Seriously, though, get references and get to know the person some.

I wouldn't mind going with another female if I could find one. A lot of the ones on the forum go with their husbands or boyfriends.

I am planning on carrying a gun whether I go by myself or with someone else Thumbsup

Does the site have something resembling a rating system?

'Murican Canadian
31-12-2015, 04:15 PM
(31-12-2015 04:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 03:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I wouldn't mind going with another female if I could find one. A lot of the ones on the forum go with their husbands or boyfriends.

Does the site have something resembling a rating system?

Not that I am aware of. Usually people just post things like : "I'm hiking/backpacking XYZ during XYZ time frame, looking for a hiking/backpacking partner, contact so and so."

The forum is kind of set up like TTA--but obviously mostly with backpacking threads. You can see people's buddy list though (unlike TTA). So I guess I could contact the people on their buddy list for a reference to see if they've met the person irl.
31-12-2015, 05:45 PM
(31-12-2015 04:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 04:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Does the site have something resembling a rating system?

Not that I am aware of. Usually people just post things like : "I'm hiking/backpacking XYZ during XYZ time frame, looking for a hiking/backpacking partner, contact so and so."

The forum is kind of set up like TTA--but obviously mostly with backpacking threads. You can see people's buddy list though (unlike TTA). So I guess I could contact the people on their buddy list for a reference to see if they've met the person irl.

As a backup option, you could take them out to the woods and murder them preemptively before they have a chance to do it first. Just in case Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
31-12-2015, 06:20 PM
I'd come with you Jenny, but I have poor references.

I hear you when it comes to hiking with a gun. Can't trust those bears.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
31-12-2015, 06:22 PM
(31-12-2015 11:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  What do you guys think?

I'd take a dog instead.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-12-2015, 06:34 PM
(31-12-2015 06:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I'd take a dog instead.

Now we're talking

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
31-12-2015, 06:36 PM
(31-12-2015 06:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I'd take a dog instead.

Or both. If someone has bad intentions the dog will figure it out before you do Smile If they pass the dog check, they're probably good.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
31-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all of your advice Laugh out load I will probably bring my dog--and definitely a gun. I'm still on the fence about the backpacking partner thing--but I am talking to a few people on there so maybe they are a possibility if they'd be willing to travel a bit Wink
31-12-2015, 06:46 PM
(31-12-2015 06:36 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 06:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'd take a dog instead.

Or both. If someone has bad intentions the dog will figure it out before you do Smile If they pass the dog check, they're probably good.

Way way back in the day when I used to hike the Appalachian Trail I would occasionally encounter another hiker going in the opposite direction whose dog was on point unleashed 50-100 yards ahead. "Yo! Let your dog know I mean no harm." "You're good. The dog already let me know."

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post