Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2015, 06:47 PM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
(31-12-2015 05:45 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 04:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Not that I am aware of. Usually people just post things like : "I'm hiking/backpacking XYZ during XYZ time frame, looking for a hiking/backpacking partner, contact so and so."

The forum is kind of set up like TTA--but obviously mostly with backpacking threads. You can see people's buddy list though (unlike TTA). So I guess I could contact the people on their buddy list for a reference to see if they've met the person irl.

As a backup option, you could take them out to the woods and murder them preemptively before they have a chance to do it first. Just in case Big Grin

Got it, murder first, ask questions later Laugh out load

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2015, 06:49 PM
(31-12-2015 06:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 11:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  What do you guys think?

I'd take a dog instead.

I was thinking about it. Some trails don't let you take dogs unfortunately.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
31-12-2015, 06:51 PM
(31-12-2015 06:20 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'd come with you Jenny, but I have poor references.

I hear you when it comes to hiking with a gun. Can't trust those bears.

Is Turkey Burner one of your references? I heard his snipples grow if he's telling a lie. Hobo

31-12-2015, 06:59 PM
This is in no way intended to suggest that all gun owners are like this.....

Last summer I had one of the greatest experiences of my 54 y.o. life: Thru hiking the 486-mile Colorado Trail from July 2-26 (21.5 days walking, 3.5 "zero" days in town).

All this time later, I feel almost ... ruined for normal life. I think of the trail all the time. I dream about it. I long for it. It was just so great.

Anyway, CT types usually form a Facebook page for the season's upcoming hikers, and not long before my departure, some dude joined and his first post was along lines of, "Now, don't be afraid of me when I come into your camp with a gun on my hip, OK? OK???!!! I am going to be out there with you ... with a GUN ... so don't be alarmed by my very big GUN!!!!"

OK, I've added some snark, but it wasn't far from that.

People immediately wanted to know why he needed/wanted to carry a gun, since most CT hikers don't feel a need (and most of us are counting ounces, trying to lighten the load).

"Bears! I need it for protection."

Assured that a) he was highly unlikely to see a bear (all black bears, no griz in Colorado) and b) if he did, 999 times out of 1,000 the bear would turn tail like a spooked kindergartener. We also explained that in all of recorded Colorado history, there have been exactly ... wait for it ... 2 human fatalities due to mountain lions. , he simply couldn't agree. Never mind statistics and silly things like that.

Also, you know, he needed to be armed against criminals who would like to attack him in the wilderness. People have been murdered and assaulted on long trails and short hikes, but it's a statistically tiny number. We pointed that out.

Someone also pointed out that bringing his fear on the trail seemed like kind of the wrong attitude to take, and I agreed.

So, I never saw the hiker I immediately began to think of as Gun Guy, but I met plenty of hikers who did. And man, what a menace and an idiot. He did pretty much as promised, barging into people's camps waving his gun around and talking it up and saying how important it was to have it, blah the fuck blah.

Nobody was impressed. Nobody. But several did find him at least a little unsettling.

He must have picked up on the lack of googly eyes at the big, bad Gun Guy, because evidently he started explaining - contra to his earlier FB statements - that his wife made him bring it along, because of the incredible yaaaaagggghhh! danger of bears and lions, not that, ahem, he was afraid of them. He also struck many people as not having much fun.

So again, that's Gun Guy, and not every gun owner. For all I know half the hikers I passed were packing heat. But probably not. Despite certain dangers, and a few irritating people/weirdos here and there (though not many), the hiker community is pretty chill and friendly.

If it's me, and I'm going to grizzly country, I might bring bear spray ... might; those cans weigh 12 ounces. But I would never bring a gun. Bringing a gun is a set up to be afraid, and if anyone is that afraid going into it, why bother?

And yes, I own guns.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
31-12-2015, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2015 07:53 PM by jennybee.)
(31-12-2015 06:59 PM)claywise Wrote:  This is in no way intended to suggest that all gun owners are like this.....

Last summer I had one of the greatest experiences of my 54 y.o. life: Thru hiking the 486-mile Colorado Trail from July 2-26 (21.5 days walking, 3.5 "zero" days in town).

All this time later, I feel almost ... ruined for normal life. I think of the trail all the time. I dream about it. I long for it. It was just so great.

Anyway, CT types usually form a Facebook page for the season's upcoming hikers, and not long before my departure, some dude joined and his first post was along lines of, "Now, don't be afraid of me when I come into your camp with a gun on my hip, OK? OK???!!! I am going to be out there with you ... with a GUN ... so don't be alarmed by my very big GUN!!!!"

OK, I've added some snark, but it wasn't far from that.

People immediately wanted to know why he needed/wanted to carry a gun, since most CT hikers don't feel a need (and most of us are counting ounces, trying to lighten the load).

"Bears! I need it for protection."

Assured that a) he was highly unlikely to see a bear (all black bears, no griz in Colorado) and b) if he did, 999 times out of 1,000 the bear would turn tail like a spooked kindergartener. We also explained that in all of recorded Colorado history, there have been exactly ... wait for it ... 2 human fatalities due to mountain lions. , he simply couldn't agree. Never mind statistics and silly things like that.

Also, you know, he needed to be armed against criminals who would like to attack him in the wilderness. People have been murdered and assaulted on long trails and short hikes, but it's a statistically tiny number. We pointed that out.

Someone also pointed out that bringing his fear on the trail seemed like kind of the wrong attitude to take, and I agreed.

So, I never saw the hiker I immediately began to think of as Gun Guy, but I met plenty of hikers who did. And man, what a menace and an idiot. He did pretty much as promised, barging into people's camps waving his gun around and talking it up and saying how important it was to have it, blah the fuck blah.

Nobody was impressed. Nobody. But several did find him at least a little unsettling.

He must have picked up on the lack of googly eyes at the big, bad Gun Guy, because evidently he started explaining - contra to his earlier FB statements - that his wife made him bring it along, because of the incredible yaaaaagggghhh! danger of bears and lions, not that, ahem, he was afraid of them. He also struck many people as not having much fun.

So again, that's Gun Guy, and not every gun owner. For all I know half the hikers I passed were packing heat. But probably not. Despite certain dangers, and a few irritating people/weirdos here and there (though not many), the hiker community is pretty chill and friendly.

If it's me, and I'm going to grizzly country, I might bring bear spray ... might; those cans weigh 12 ounces. But I would never bring a gun. Bringing a gun is a set up to be afraid, and if anyone is that afraid going into it, why bother?

And yes, I own guns.

I would never go into a camp waving a gun around. I believe in responsible gun ownership. I am not afraid to go hiking or backpacking--I view a gun and bear spray as safety measures period. Most of the people in the backpacking forum I go to carry guns. I grew up hiking with my family and when we went deep into the woods, my uncle always carried a gun for protection.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with one asshole, but not everyone is like that.

Can we please not make this thread into a gun debate forum--I really want to keep it about backpacking.

01-01-2016, 12:24 AM
(31-12-2015 07:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Can we please not make this thread into a gun debate forum--I really want to keep it about backpacking.

Your wish is granted. Two last thoughts, then nae mair guns:

Thru hikers, to me the purest hikers of all, do not carry guns. Don't need 'em.

And please don't shoot a bear if you see one. First, they are cool. Second, you will in all likelihood only piss him or her off.

Now back to you Jennybee: Hiking kicks ass. I hope you find cool hiking partners and have great adventures. Personally, I found hiking solo to be an incredible experience.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
01-01-2016, 12:32 AM
And just for some perspective about all them "untrustworthy" bars:

"In the 2000s, there have been 27 fatal incidences so far in North America, resulting in 29 deaths. 15 were in Canada, three were in Alaska, two were in Tennessee, and single fatal attacks happened in New York, New Mexico, California, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Utah and Montana. 17 of those attacks were perpetrated by black bears, and 10 by grizzlies.

"What can we learn from this, other than don’t go to Canada (kidding!)? In truth, you don’t have much to fear: That averages to just under 3 fatalities a year, when millions of people go into the backcountry or live near bear habitat. 26 people get killed by dogs every year, and 90 people are killed every year by lightning."

Full article here

And a more detailed Wikipedia piece

We Americans are wildly misled on what really poses a danger to us. As a skeptic, I consider it my solemn duty to point out irrational fears.

01-01-2016, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2016 04:38 AM by jennybee.)
(01-01-2016 12:24 AM)claywise Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 07:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Can we please not make this thread into a gun debate forum--I really want to keep it about backpacking.

Your wish is granted. Two last thoughts, then nae mair guns:

Thru hikers, to me the purest hikers of all, do not carry guns. Don't need 'em.

And please don't shoot a bear if you see one. First, they are cool. Second, you will in all likelihood only piss him or her off.

Now back to you Jennybee: Hiking kicks ass. I hope you find cool hiking partners and have great adventures. Personally, I found hiking solo to be an incredible experience.

As an avid hiker, I am aware of the statistics on bears and always read up on all wildlife I will be encountering in the areas I will be hiking. I would never harm or kill an animal unless I absolutely had to. Re: bears, I would always use bear spray as a first option. I believe in taking a gun hiking/backpacking because I am a female and often times hike alone. I have come across males/groups of males on the trails. I view carrying a gun when going remote places as being proactive in my safety. I would agree the chances of something bad happening are probably remote, but I would like to be prepared if a situation like that was ever to occur. Deciding to carry a gun when hiking does not make me any less "pure" of a hiker.

Again, I would really like to keep this thread about backpacking and not a debate about guns.

01-01-2016, 08:53 AM
(01-01-2016 03:08 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Again, I would really like to keep this thread about backpacking and not a debate about guns.

By all means.

What part of the country do you live in? Are you interested more in short overnight trips, something closer to week-long, or longer?

I hope you find a great backpacking companion and get in some satisfying miles during 2016 and beyond, Jennybee.

Happy New Year!

01-01-2016, 10:24 AM
(01-01-2016 08:53 AM)claywise Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 03:08 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Again, I would really like to keep this thread about backpacking and not a debate about guns.

By all means.

What part of the country do you live in? Are you interested more in short overnight trips, something closer to week-long, or longer?

I hope you find a great backpacking companion and get in some satisfying miles during 2016 and beyond, Jennybee.

Happy New Year!

I've been hiking for years but more recently got into backpacking. I've done 3 nights, but would like to do a week long trip. I don't mind going by myself, I actually like hiking by myself. The only reason I was thinking of the backpacking partner was for some company and possibly to learn a few things from someone more experienced than myself.

Happy New Year to you as well!