Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2016, 10:27 AM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
(01-01-2016 10:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 08:53 AM)claywise Wrote:  By all means.

What part of the country do you live in? Are you interested more in short overnight trips, something closer to week-long, or longer?

I hope you find a great backpacking companion and get in some satisfying miles during 2016 and beyond, Jennybee.

Happy New Year!

I've been hiking for years but more recently got into backpacking. I've done 3 nights, but would like to do a week long trip. I don't mind going by myself, I actually like hiking by myself. The only reason I was thinking of the backpacking partner was for some company and possibly to learn a few things from someone more experienced than myself.

Happy New Year to you as well!

There's the Long Trail in Vermont and the Appalachian Trail goes from Maine to Georgia, passing through NH, VT, MA on the way.

So, when you come east, ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-01-2016, 10:29 AM
(01-01-2016 10:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 10:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I've been hiking for years but more recently got into backpacking. I've done 3 nights, but would like to do a week long trip. I don't mind going by myself, I actually like hiking by myself. The only reason I was thinking of the backpacking partner was for some company and possibly to learn a few things from someone more experienced than myself.

There's the Long Trail in Vermont and the Appalachian Trail goes from Maine to Georgia, passing through NH, VT, MA on the way.

That would be a nice one!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
01-01-2016, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2016 01:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-01-2016 12:24 AM)claywise Wrote:  Thru hikers, to me the purest hikers of all, do not carry guns. Don't need 'em.

Never heard that term before. I hiked with one dude who completed the AT, he called them "end-to-enders".

As for bears, well this bow hunter resorted to, shall we say, less conventional, non-lethal tactics. Big Grin

While backpacking in Monongahela Dolly Sods when I was 16 (like 40 years ago Weeping ), we encountered a black bear about 20-30 yards ahead of us. Looked like a giant 4 foot round bowling ball. We stopped. It saw us and bam it left the trail and was through the brush and thickets lickety split. I said "Jesus Christ! That thing is fast!" "Good thing they're more scared of us than us them."

#sigh
01-01-2016, 12:41 PM
(01-01-2016 10:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I've done 3 nights, but would like to do a week long trip. I don't mind going by myself, I actually like hiking by myself. The only reason I was thinking of the backpacking partner was for some company and possibly to learn a few things from someone more experienced than myself.

It makes sense to go with someone if you are looking to learn, for sure. And of course, not many people do it alone.

A week long trip sounds like it would be a good next step. Depending on what part of the country you live in (you don't have to be specific, just "Northwest" or "California" or whatever), I might have some ideas, as I've hiked in a fair number of places.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
01-01-2016, 12:43 PM
(01-01-2016 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 12:24 AM)claywise Wrote:  Thru hikers, to me the purest hikers of all, do not carry guns. Don't need 'em.

Never heard that term before. I hiked with one dude who completed the AT, he called them "end-to-enders".

Thru hiking is the most common label these days. It got a big boost in recent years with the publication of Cheryl Strayed's memoir, "Wild," about time she spent on the Pacific Crest Trail (and much more) and the subsequent movie.

Evidently, the rising popularity last summer resulted in a fair amount of unruly behavior on the AT.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
01-01-2016, 12:48 PM
(01-01-2016 10:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 10:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  There's the Long Trail in Vermont and the Appalachian Trail goes from Maine to Georgia, passing through NH, VT, MA on the way.

That would be a nice one!
And of course if you ever fancy the north of England, I would happily be your guide.Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Thewonderer's post
01-01-2016, 12:49 PM
(01-01-2016 12:41 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 10:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I've done 3 nights, but would like to do a week long trip. I don't mind going by myself, I actually like hiking by myself. The only reason I was thinking of the backpacking partner was for some company and possibly to learn a few things from someone more experienced than myself.

It makes sense to go with someone if you are looking to learn, for sure. And of course, not many people do it alone.

A week long trip sounds like it would be a good next step. Depending on what part of the country you live in (you don't have to be specific, just "Northwest" or "California" or whatever), I might have some ideas, as I've hiked in a fair number of places.

I am doing it on the East Coast. Maine, VT, NH, MA would be my areas of choice, so I'm liking the Long Trail suggestion made by Chas. I have hiked in various parts of ME, VT, MA, and NH in the past as I am originally from the East Coast. Very pretty area.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-01-2016, 01:51 PM
(01-01-2016 12:48 PM)Thewonderer Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 10:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  That would be a nice one!
And of course if you ever fancy the north of England, I would happily be your guide.Wink

I would love that Smile

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-01-2016, 01:58 PM
(01-01-2016 12:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  ... so I'm liking the Long Trail suggestion made by Chas.

That looks like a month-long adventure. (Two if you take Chas.) But they seem to have plenty of end-to-enders who seem willing to help and plan and advise. Hell, you could probably find one to go with you.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-01-2016, 02:01 PM
(01-01-2016 01:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 12:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  ... so I'm liking the Long Trail suggestion made by Chas.

That looks like a month-long adventure. Two if you take Chas. But they seem to have plenty of end to enders who seem willing to help and advise. Hell, you could probably find one to go with you.

I'll look into it Big Grin Thanks for link! Smile