Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2016, 02:02 PM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
I would love to do a month at some point!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2016, 03:10 PM
I've done more than my share of backpacking and the longest I've stayed out is a month. I've done a month a couple of times. Much more fun than backpacking is a canoe trip up, or down, the Missouri River from Montana [the Missouri Breaks] down to South Dakota [ending either at Oahe or Gavins Point]. You do need to take a gun and a fishing rod if you want to eat though. If I can get uncrippled, I will take my son and grandson on that trip next fall. You go in the fall during hunting seasons so you don't have to eat fish for every meal. I have done that trip several times and I even did it decades ago "before the goddamned Army Corps of Engineers turned the wildest river in North America into a series of ponds." [That's not my assessment. Wallace Stegner wrote those words back in the 1960s.] Even though the Missouri is now a series of ponds, there is still enough wild river left to make that trip one you will remember for life.

There are other great river trips for canoes in the midwest and west. However, if you want to go on a really great canoe trip in the summertime, the boundary waters in Northern Minnesota is also worth your time. You can catch walleye in those lakes and in my opinion, the second best eating in the world is walleye. It's a very mild fish. [The best is, of course, tiof but you can only catch them in West Africa.] Nevertheless, if you want a wonderful outdoor adventure, toss your canoe on top of your car and head up to the Canadian border in Minnesota. BUT, take plenty of bug repellent.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
01-01-2016, 03:15 PM
(01-01-2016 03:10 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I've done more than my share of backpacking and the longest I've stayed out is a month. I've done a month a couple of times. Much more fun than backpacking is a canoe trip up, or down, the Missouri River from Montana [the Missouri Breaks] down to South Dakota [ending either at Oahe or Gavins Point]. You do need to take a gun and a fishing rod if you want to eat though. If I can get uncrippled, I will take my son and grandson on that trip next fall. You go in the fall during hunting seasons so you don't have to eat fish for every meal. I have done that trip several times and I even did it decades ago "before the goddamned Army Corps of Engineers turned the wildest river in North America into a series of ponds." [That's not my assessment. Wallace Stegner wrote those words back in the 1960s.] Even though the Missouri is now a series of ponds, there is still enough wild river left to make that trip one you will remember for life.

There are other great river trips for canoes in the midwest and west. However, if you want to go on a really great canoe trip in the summertime, the boundary waters in Northern Minnesota is also worth your time. You can catch walleye in those lakes and in my opinion, the second best eating in the world is walleye. It's a very mild fish. [The best is, of course, tiof but you can only catch them in West Africa.] Nevertheless, if you want a wonderful outdoor adventure, toss your canoe on top of your car and head up to the Canadian border in Minnesota. BUT, take plenty of bug repellent.

Sounds amazing Smile You are making me want to go now! I like the canoe trip idea. Thumbsup In one of the outdoor forums I belong to there is a whole thread on packrafting. I fangirl over their pics. Definitely something I want to do!
01-01-2016, 04:34 PM
(01-01-2016 12:48 PM)Thewonderer Wrote:  And of course if you ever fancy the north of England, I would happily be your guide.Wink

I've wondered if there is any cool long-distance hiking to be had in Scotland and/or the Yorkshires ... thoughts?

I will say that when I bicycled through the Highlands as a teenager I believe it snowed on us in July. No big deal; that can happen in Colorado, too; but I wonder about thunderstorms on the high barren hills.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
01-01-2016, 04:51 PM
(01-01-2016 12:41 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 10:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I've done 3 nights, but would like to do a week long trip. I don't mind going by myself, I actually like hiking by myself. The only reason I was thinking of the backpacking partner was for some company and possibly to learn a few things from someone more experienced than myself.

Happy New Year to you as well!

It makes sense to go with someone if you are looking to learn, for sure. And of course, not many people do it alone.

A week long trip sounds like it would be a good next step. Depending on what part of the country you live in (you don't have to be specific, just "Northwest" or "California" or whatever), I might have some ideas, as I've hiked in a fair number of places.

I think so too. I'm excited to do a week. Just investigating places now. Any ones you liked on the East Coast? If money were no object, I'd be living in the woods permanently in a rustic remote cabin with a beautiful view, hosting yoga retreats and going on month long backpacking hikes. Tongue
01-01-2016, 04:57 PM
(01-01-2016 03:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 03:10 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I've done more than my share of backpacking and the longest I've stayed out is a month. I've done a month a couple of times. Much more fun than backpacking is a canoe trip up, or down, the Missouri River from Montana [the Missouri Breaks] down to South Dakota [ending either at Oahe or Gavins Point]. You do need to take a gun and a fishing rod if you want to eat though. If I can get uncrippled, I will take my son and grandson on that trip next fall. You go in the fall during hunting seasons so you don't have to eat fish for every meal. I have done that trip several times and I even did it decades ago "before the goddamned Army Corps of Engineers turned the wildest river in North America into a series of ponds." [That's not my assessment. Wallace Stegner wrote those words back in the 1960s.] Even though the Missouri is now a series of ponds, there is still enough wild river left to make that trip one you will remember for life.

Sounds amazing Smile You are making me want to go now! I like the canoe trip idea. Thumbsup In one of the outdoor forums I belong to there is a whole thread on packrafting. I fangirl over their pics. Definitely something I want to do!

Canoe trips often include portaging, that is carrying canoes and gear overland to go lake to lake or to bypass rapids and falls. There are a couple of good river trips in New England, especially in Maine.

Me, one of my brothers, and some friends did a nine-day trip in Quetico Provincial Park (Ontario) and the adjoining Boundary Waters Area in Minnesota.

I should scan some of those pictures. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-01-2016, 05:11 PM
(01-01-2016 04:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 03:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Sounds amazing Smile You are making me want to go now! I like the canoe trip idea. Thumbsup In one of the outdoor forums I belong to there is a whole thread on packrafting. I fangirl over their pics. Definitely something I want to do!

Canoe trips often include portaging, that is carrying canoes and gear overland to go lake to lake or to bypass rapids and falls. There are a couple of good river trips in New England, especially in Maine.

Me, one of my brothers, and some friends did a nine-day trip in Quetico Provincial Park (Ontario) and the adjoining Boundary Waters Area in Minnesota.

I should scan some of those pictures. Consider

You should! I'd love to see them.
01-01-2016, 06:09 PM
On the Missouri, you have to portage around the dams but that's about all. There are some rapids in Montana but any reasonably good canoeist can handle them. They are easy in a raft. [We have both a whitewater canoe and a whitewater raft. I am at the age and carry some serious crippling that makes the raft more tempting to me today.] Our son and grandson live in Boston and they escape to Maine regularly. Maine sounds like it could be fun too. My wife used to be a whitewater guide and I'm sure if I suggested it, she would be packed and ready to go before I could finish the sentence. She is the one who taught me to read and run whitewater and today, I'm better at it than she is -- well, maybe not better but at least as good. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
02-01-2016, 08:49 AM
(01-01-2016 04:34 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 12:48 PM)Thewonderer Wrote:  And of course if you ever fancy the north of England, I would happily be your guide.Wink

I've wondered if there is any cool long-distance hiking to be had in Scotland and/or the Yorkshires ... thoughts?

I will say that when I bicycled through the Highlands as a teenager I believe it snowed on us in July. No big deal; that can happen in Colorado, too; but I wonder about thunderstorms on the high barren hills.
Look up the pennine way, trail starts in Derbyshire and ends at Scottish borders.
19-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Took my 5 year old to Lusk Cavern a few weeks back. I had to use the "I'm too big" excuse to keep from submerging since I hadn't anticipated needing to waterproof the backpack. I honestly expected him to be too tired to continue by the time we got that far. But nope, he wanted to keep going... 5k hike to the cave from where we parked, a couple hours crawling around in it, 5k hike back. The goofy look at the beginning is his "Shit, I just realized I'm on camera" forced smile.

Forgive the low visibility. In some portions it would have been pitch black without our head lamps.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post