Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 10:17 AM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
(25-08-2015 10:16 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Country living is like that, for better and worse. I sure am glad you didn't just kill it, like most would. Smile

He's cute--I wish he wasn't venomous--otherwise, I would pick him up and move him myself.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Two of my neighbors found a baby rattler in their yards recently as well. One lady had one in her sliding glass door frame. I don't know if there was a nest or something nearby? I don't really know anything about rattlers--other than, of course, to avoid them.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-08-2015, 10:30 AM
I went hiking / back packing a few years ago in the CH (Switzerland). One of the coolest adventures I've ever embarked on...

[Image: CH4_zpssonczhj4.jpg]

[Image: CH1_zps9sedj5pt.jpg]

[Image: CH3_zpsmahrxlsa.jpg]

[Image: CH2_zpskntd9cqf.jpg]

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 8 users Like Tonechaser77's post
(25-08-2015 10:30 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I went hiking / back packing a few years ago in the CH (Switzerland). One of the coolest adventures I've ever embarked on...

[Image: CH4_zpssonczhj4.jpg]

[Image: CH1_zps9sedj5pt.jpg]

[Image: CH3_zpsmahrxlsa.jpg]

[Image: CH2_zpskntd9cqf.jpg]

Wow, that looks so cool!

Hiking is a long time passion of mine, but I've only recently delved into backpacking. I got a new pack for this trip, and the search for the right fit was surprisingly difficult. It was a necessary upgrade from my old, very heavy, poorly fitted pack. WOW! What a difference!!

So what kind of packs do you guys use?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-08-2015, 10:33 AM
(25-08-2015 10:23 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Two of my neighbors found a baby rattler in their yards recently as well. One lady had one in her sliding glass door frame. I don't know if there was a nest or something nearby? I don't really know anything about rattlers--other than, of course, to avoid them.

On the assumption that this is a Western diamondback, the female gives live birth to anywhere from four to twenty-five juveniles ... there could be a lot more around. When you consider that young snakes have small ranges, and that young pit vipers usually have exceptionally potent venom, there's obviously cause for concern.

Your best strategies will be to keep your grass cut very low, and remove any items in your back yard that might provide shade for them in the afternoon.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
25-08-2015, 10:38 AM
(25-08-2015 10:30 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Hiking is a long time passion of mine, but I've only recently delved into backpacking. I got a new pack for this trip, and the search for the right fit was surprisingly difficult. It was a necessary upgrade from my old, very heavy, poorly fitted pack. WOW! What a difference!!

So what kind of packs do you guys use?

I use a Teton Sports Scout for backpacking and for regular hiking, I use a backpack that has a yoga mat apparatus built into it by Aurorae.

25-08-2015, 10:40 AM
We ventured to Arches State Park earlier this month, fantastic natural formations that can involve some hiking to get to.

After Arches State Park we ventured to Mesa Verde.

Just an amazing world where the Anasazi lived for over 700 years.
This place does have some considerable hiking to it or you can simply drive in your car and walk short distances to outlooks of the cliff dwellings. To get down into the cliff dwelling can take up to 7+ miles of hiking.

It's around 7,000 ft. above sea level, so you can get winded on these hikes, so it's not an easy excursion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
25-08-2015, 10:44 AM
The area I live in now isn't too welcoming for backpacking. But one of my bucket list goals is to go backpacking to a remote woods, sleep under the open sky, and eat what i catch.

I am a former Boy Scout and would go backpacking just about every month. Snow, Rain, Storms, Blistering sun. All just part of the adventure.

Now and day's i just go for a hike. But there aren't really any woods and it don't feel the same, hiking threw a desert.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
25-08-2015, 11:51 AM
I've got a shitload of hiking pics over the past 12 years or so... I spread some of them out over a few posts.

'Murican Canadian