Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 12:02 PM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
Old village in China.
[Image: SX1FLMF.jpg]

Much, much older village in China Tongue
[Image: E36XuRY.jpg]

Part of Hangzhou's West Lake covered in a big lotus garden.
[Image: J2KO1cW.jpg]

[Image: ZgMjc63.jpg]

On a bridge near West Lake. This must have been like 11 years ago. I forgot how skinny I'd gotten when I was living in China lol.
[Image: zbUCYw8.jpg]

On a hill overlooking the Yellow Dragon Stadium.
[Image: 2zTbpv9.jpg]

Yancheng countryside. This is where my ex-wife is from.
[Image: E2vOk8t.jpg]
[Image: BaZqVPc.jpg]
[Image: QrMwUQ0.jpg]

Ruins of Yuanmingyuan.
[Image: g5MraDy.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like yakherder's post
25-08-2015, 12:08 PM
(25-08-2015 12:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Old village in China.
[Image: SX1FLMF.jpg]

Much, much older village in China Tongue
[Image: E36XuRY.jpg]

Part of Hangzhou's West Lake covered in a big lotus garden.
[Image: J2KO1cW.jpg]

[Image: ZgMjc63.jpg]

On a bridge near West Lake. This must have been like 11 years ago. I forgot how skinny I'd gotten when I was living in China lol.
[Image: zbUCYw8.jpg]

On a hill overlooking the Yellow Dragon Stadium.
[Image: 2zTbpv9.jpg]

Yancheng countryside. This is where my ex-wife is from.
[Image: E2vOk8t.jpg]
[Image: BaZqVPc.jpg]
[Image: QrMwUQ0.jpg]

Ruins of Yuanmingyuan.
[Image: g5MraDy.jpg]

Great pics! I love the pagoda!
25-08-2015, 12:12 PM
(25-08-2015 10:30 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Hiking is a long time passion of mine, but I've only recently delved into backpacking. I got a new pack for this trip, and the search for the right fit was surprisingly difficult. It was a necessary upgrade from my old, very heavy, poorly fitted pack. WOW! What a difference!!

So what kind of packs do you guys use?

My backpacking pack is a 2010 Osprey Aether 70.
My tent (when I take one) is a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Sometimes I skip the tent and use a hammock with a tarp cover.
Sleeping bag is a North Face Cat's Meow. If I'm using the hammock I usually take an army issue gore tex sleeping bag cover for damp conditions.
Sleeping pad is either a Big Agnes air core or a Thermorest Z lite. The air core is more comfy and packs smaller, but it weighs more than the Z lite.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
25-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Horsetooth Reservoir (Colorado)
[Image: ruf9SSt.jpg]

Death Valley - Well prepared, and at the right time of the year, this is a nice, pleasant hike. But one look at the surroundings and you can tell why the first people to stumble across it called it Death Valley.
[Image: nXsw0jC.jpg]

[Image: cBl7gsS.jpg]

[Image: uhzR7o5.jpg]

Red Rock Canyon
[Image: DKdetHh.jpg]

[Image: ensqFsy.jpg]

[Image: qJuWqP4.jpg]

[Image: OgGD7UH.jpg]

Mt. Reinier
[Image: VYFoxIc.jpg]

Training near the Mountain Warfare School in Vermont
[Image: yBR6D2I.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
25-08-2015, 12:27 PM
(25-08-2015 12:12 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 10:30 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Hiking is a long time passion of mine, but I've only recently delved into backpacking. I got a new pack for this trip, and the search for the right fit was surprisingly difficult. It was a necessary upgrade from my old, very heavy, poorly fitted pack. WOW! What a difference!!

So what kind of packs do you guys use?

My backpacking pack is a 2010 Osprey Aether 70.
My tent (when I take one) is a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Sometimes I skip the tent and use a hammock with a tarp cover.
Sleeping bag is a North Face Cat's Meow. If I'm using the hammock I usually take an army issue gore tex sleeping bag cover for damp conditions.
Sleeping pad is either a Big Agnes air core or a Thermorest Z lite. The air core is more comfy and packs smaller, but it weighs more than the Z lite.

My new pack is an Osprey, same as my smaller day pack. Atmos 50 AG. Fits as much gear as my old 70 litre.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-08-2015, 12:28 PM
And my last group of pics for now, a hike through Shoushan, a small mountain just north of Kaohsiung (Taiwan). On this hike I first stumbled across a relative of the orb weaver known as a giant wood spider, then a random secluded teahouse with an amazing garden halfway up the mountain overlooking the city, then a bunch of monkeys.
[Image: XiJZRDD.jpg]

[Image: 91A7O3M.jpg]

[Image: 2bI870o.jpg]

[Image: qaXvz0g.jpg]

[Image: w0TKxbO.jpg]

[Image: ewv0COh.jpg]

[Image: NlnO4Sq.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
25-08-2015, 12:39 PM
I should have put my hand in front of the picture of the spider just to provide a frame of reference as to how big it truly was, but I didn't think of it at the time. It's worth hitting up google images and typing in giant wood spider just to see. I almost ran right into the thing.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-08-2015, 12:31 PM
(25-08-2015 10:33 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 10:23 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Two of my neighbors found a baby rattler in their yards recently as well. One lady had one in her sliding glass door frame. I don't know if there was a nest or something nearby? I don't really know anything about rattlers--other than, of course, to avoid them.

On the assumption that this is a Western diamondback, the female gives live birth to anywhere from four to twenty-five juveniles ... there could be a lot more around. When you consider that young snakes have small ranges, and that young pit vipers usually have exceptionally potent venom, there's obviously cause for concern.

Your best strategies will be to keep your grass cut very low, and remove any items in your back yard that might provide shade for them in the afternoon.

I have a rattlesnake guy coming tomorrow. He removes them humanely. But he said unfortunately they don't survive well outside of their den habitat. So I'm hoping the snake will be okay after the guy removes him. If for some reason it's just a non-venomous snake, I'm just going to have him leave him there. I haven't been taking my dogs in my yard until the snake thing is taken care of.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
27-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Good stuff, Jen. Your dogs won't know well enough to leave it alone.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-08-2015, 02:22 PM
(25-08-2015 12:19 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Horsetooth Reservoir (Colorado)
[Image: ruf9SSt.jpg]

Death Valley - Well prepared, and at the right time of the year, this is a nice, pleasant hike. But one look at the surroundings and you can tell why the first people to stumble across it called it Death Valley.
[Image: nXsw0jC.jpg]

[Image: cBl7gsS.jpg]

[Image: uhzR7o5.jpg]

Red Rock Canyon
[Image: DKdetHh.jpg]

[Image: ensqFsy.jpg]

[Image: qJuWqP4.jpg]

[Image: OgGD7UH.jpg]

Mt. Reinier
[Image: VYFoxIc.jpg]

Training near the Mountain Warfare School in Vermont
[Image: yBR6D2I.jpg]

Yak, that looks like Zabriskie Point in Death Valley. I grew up in California and went to Death Valley quite a few times.....in the WINTER! Summer's just too hot.

There's a place in Death Valley, I think it's Dante's View, where one can view the lowest place in North America and Mount Whitney, the tallest mountain of the 48 states. Kinda cool. Well.... actually....kinda hot.

There's a sort of a cult movie called Zabriskie Point that was filmed there. Never seen the movie but maybe someday.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.