Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2015, 09:23 AM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
When I was young I enjoyed camping. When I got older I was homeless. So those things kinda cancelled out. I usually don't leave the house, but last week we went up north to fix the roof on the camp.

my bud's cabin
[Image: VF45ELr.jpg]

my peeps
[Image: PAklbfq.jpg]

the view from there
[Image: PWuMC6Y.jpg]

Not exactly hiking and backpacking, the relevance is in me actually going somewhere. Big Grin

But I was thinking about stuff, and why I don't do stuff like this, and I concluded it's partly 'cause I'd hafta take all my peeps with me. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-08-2015, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2015 12:38 PM by yakherder.)
(28-08-2015 09:21 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 08:49 AM)jennybee Wrote:  This is kind of how my boyfriend is. Although, he will go camping at a campsite and likes sitting around the campfire (but he won't go off-trail though, doesn't like snakes/wild animals).
Well to be honest I'm not really afraid of animals. Well Danish animals. We don't have any real dangerous wildlife. The things that are dangerous is mostly due to them being a disease carrier or if you are allergic to them. Though wolves seems to have returned and it has sparked a debate about their place in the country. But yeah. I just really hate walking I find it boring.

I do understand why some people feel the allure of nature. And to a degree I'd love to know more about finding edible plants but it's just not enough for me to actual do anything about it.

Oh and that tent. . . I wouldn't enjoy that either. It's would feel like cheating. If you go out into the wilds you do it right. If you want luxury you stay at home.

(^_^)

It's actually kind of funny in a way that the animals people fear, and the amount of fear they give them, is in reverse of how it realistically should be. I saw wolves quite often in Alaska, but not once, ever, did I hear of one so much as looking meanly at a human. The second they saw a person, they were gone. Bears would cause problems on occasion, but only if you were being stupid. The single most dangerous animal we'd come across regularly would be a bull moose. They're territorial, mean as shit, and at full strength and in good health could probably take on a pack of wolves without so much as breaking a sweat. If they decide that a portion of the road belongs to them, you're best just driving around them. If you honk or otherwise challenge them, they will attack your car and they will win.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
28-08-2015, 09:49 AM
(27-08-2015 03:19 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 03:17 PM)morondog Wrote:  Big Grin She's a honey... trap. She'll have you for breakfast.
Well I'm quite sure it'd be well worth it.

Besides didn't you just say you wanted to be on her island in the other thread?

He can recognize a honey trap. Yes He's just not immune to them. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
28-08-2015, 09:51 AM
(27-08-2015 03:22 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 03:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  My old man also buggered his feet up. It's a shit situation to be in. But kayaking is a fun thing to do, and you can paddle on rivers too, it's a lot of fun Smile
To be honest it might also be that fact that Denmark is such a small country that there isn't any real wilderness. I don't think you can get truly lost here. I'm guessing that might be a factor in the whole outdoor experience thing.

Just take a ferry across the Skagerrak - Norway's got a shitload of wilderness.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
28-08-2015, 10:05 AM
(28-08-2015 09:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 03:22 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  To be honest it might also be that fact that Denmark is such a small country that there isn't any real wilderness. I don't think you can get truly lost here. I'm guessing that might be a factor in the whole outdoor experience thing.

Just take a ferry across the Skagerrak - Norway's got a shitload of wilderness.

Yeah both Norway and Sweden has wildness. But again, I like living. (^_^)
28-08-2015, 12:47 PM
(20-08-2015 03:26 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I've been hiking for awhile--just recently got into backpacking...so here's a thread for all of us atheists (and others out there in TTA land) who like to get their nature on. Big Grin

I thought this would be a good place to post hiking/backpacking-related advice, questions, pics etc.

Yay! Why didn't I see this thread before??

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
28-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Since I live close to the southern end of this, I intend to spend more time on it!

[Image: 11794349_1109793375707214_49880223869183...JpIjoidCJ9]

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 4 users Like Octapulse's post
28-08-2015, 12:56 PM
(28-08-2015 09:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  Just take a ferry across the Skagerrak - Norway's got a shitload of wilderness.

Not my picture, but my memories of the Norwegian wilderness look like this.

[Image: 08-01-reindeer-snow.jpg]

A good place to literally freeze your ass off.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
28-08-2015, 07:16 PM
Rattlesnake guy is here. I will finally be able to use my backyard again. I just hope this baby rattlesnake will be okay after he releases him because he said sometimes they don't make it.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
30-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Thinking of getting my dogs the rattlesnake vaccine. Anyone else give their dogs this vaccine?