Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2015, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 07:20 PM by daniel1948.)
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
I'm not a backpacker. A couple of decades ago I hurt my back shoveling snow and now any time I lift anything too heavy it sets my back off. Also, I don't like sleeping on the ground, and I can't sleep if I feel grimy. But I love day hiking. I can carry a day pack, and I go to high-end wilderness hiking lodges where I can hike all day long and then return to a hot shower, a nice meal, and a comfy bed. My favorite place to hike is southeastern British Columbia, Canada.

For me, there's a sublime beauty and peacefulness in the mountains. I am happiest on a well-maintained trail, but I go off trail sometimes, and I can do a bit of scrambling. I've even put on crampons and crossed a glacier, but I do not do rock climbing or serious mountaineering.

I take some pictures, but they cannot convey the real beauty of the scenery. The pictures lack the vibrancy of the reality, and there is none of the emotion in the pictures that I feel when I am there. Every day in the mountain is fresh and new and fills me with awe, but the pictures are all the same each year as the year before. I suppose if I had a religious bent I would describe the mountain in religious terms, and indeed, without such terms I lack the vocabulary to express what I feel. It will have to suffice it to say that I feel most alive, most whole, most complete, and most at peace with the world and myself when I am hiking in the mountain. The misery of the world seems far away, the injustice and the cruelty seem less oppressive. The beauty and majesty of the mountain cradle me; I am most truly happy when I am in the mountain. The exercise and the fresh air make me feel most healthy. I am a whole person only there.

Of course, it's not all roses. One must take the horseflies with the flowers. Horseflies are proof that if there is a god, he does not love us best. But as somebody said "A bad day in the mountains is better than a good day in town."

I pity the majority of Americans who are too fat to venture into the mountain on foot. People who for the momentary pleasure of eating a twinkie give up the sublime euphoria of walking in the wilderness, and then berate nature because they have chosen to desecrate their body with crap and thereby shut themselves out from Eden. Because we were not driven from Eden by an angry god. Eden is still here and one has only to don a backpack and start walking to enjoy the paradise that civilization has worked so hard to eradicate.

Edit: I tried to add a picture. I clicked on select attachment, selected the picture, the web site listed the picture, clicked on Add Attachment, and nothing happened. Don't know what I did wrong.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2015, 11:25 PM
(30-08-2015 07:17 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Edit: I tried to add a picture. I clicked on select attachment, selected the picture, the web site listed the picture, clicked on Add Attachment, and nothing happened. Don't know what I did wrong.

Too much time in the wilderness Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-09-2015, 09:24 AM
I think I've figured out how to post a picture from this summer's hiking:

[Image: IMG_2746_zps2ylcokxi.jpg]

Mountain goats at Durrand Glacier chalet, near Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 4 users Like daniel1948's post
05-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Went hiking in Lake Tahoe last month at Fallen Leaf. Took a couple pics.

[Image: 29CXk9G.jpg?1]

[Image: 63T3Cnn.jpg?1]

Wish I could hike more. :\
[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
05-10-2015, 07:39 PM
(05-10-2015 07:28 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Went hiking in Lake Tahoe last month at Fallen Leaf. Took a couple pics.

I love Tahoe! Are you in CA?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-10-2015, 07:56 PM
(05-10-2015 07:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 07:28 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Went hiking in Lake Tahoe last month at Fallen Leaf. Took a couple pics.

I love Tahoe! Are you in CA?

Yup, I live in San Joaquin County.
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
05-10-2015, 08:06 PM
(05-10-2015 07:56 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 07:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I love Tahoe! Are you in CA?

Yup, I live in San Joaquin County.

I'm in East Bay.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-10-2015, 08:11 PM
My home for the last four days.

[Image: 0d453368f1957a6fc1cd231b97c6e440.jpg]

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Ugh my landscaper found some fresh rattlesnake skins in my backyard--so it looks like I have rattlers back there--AGAIN Undecided It's pouring like a mofo here today--and my roof is leaking. I love being a new homeowner Thumbsup

Now for backpacking info: I just bought a Rovor ultralight mummy backpacking sleeping bag. OMG--Heart !!!!

02-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Rattlers = rodents. control the rodents and the snakes won't hang out. I hear some of the oils like peppermint will run off the rodents. YMMV Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post