Hiking and Backpacking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2015, 10:29 AM
RE: Hiking and Backpacking Thread
(02-11-2015 10:12 AM)skyking Wrote:  Rattlers = rodents. control the rodents and the snakes won't hang out. I hear some of the oils like peppermint will run off the rodents. YMMV Smile

Thanks I'll try that Big Grin I have a humane snake handler guy who comes and removes snakes without killing them and puts them some place else. But I will have to try the peppermint oil. I know there are probably a lot of little creatures living in my backyard because the previous owner just let this house go and it was a real fixer upper (hence my leaking roof). The backyard was a habitat for sure--it was like a freakin' jungle back there before my landscaper got to it. But it was the only house available on this street and I wanted it since I can see a mountain from my bedroom window. Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2015, 10:54 AM
I like walking about in the woods but I have not backpacked. Most i have done is carry some extra clothes and water, etc and day hiked.
I worked a couple of seasons in Mt. Rainier National Park. I'd recommend that to anyone.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
06-11-2015, 10:34 AM
If you could only take 1 item with you hiking/camping/backpacking, what would it be/why?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
06-11-2015, 10:40 AM
(06-11-2015 10:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If you could only take 1 item with you hiking/camping/backpacking, what would it be/why?

A good survival knife/multi-tool.

Probably something like this.

I can make shelter, fire, food, etc with that.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
06-11-2015, 10:52 AM
(06-11-2015 10:40 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If you could only take 1 item with you hiking/camping/backpacking, what would it be/why?

A good survival knife/multi-tool.

Probably something like this.

I can make shelter, fire, food, etc with that.

Good choice Thumbsup I would probably go with something like that too. Right now I have a Soloman pocket knife that has a flashlight/firestarter/serrated blade.

06-11-2015, 11:08 AM
One item? A Tops Knives Tom Brown Tracker #1. Preferably in a Hedgehog Leatherworks sheath since that would include a ferro rod for starting fires.

[Image: H-AG-2.jpg?1401744440]

The knife and the sheath would you about $630 if you had to pay MSRP.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
06-11-2015, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 11:16 AM by jennybee.)
(06-11-2015 11:08 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  One item? A Tops Knives Tom Brown Tracker #1. Preferably in a Hedgehog Leatherworks sheath since that would include a ferro rod for starting fires.

What is the cost on those?

EDIT: Oops just saw you added that in at the bottom of your post. My knife is definitely on the low end in terms of cost, but I want to upgrade eventually. I'm hoping I can buy the knife without the leather holster since I don't use leather Undecided

06-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Retail on the knife is $310, but you can probably get one for less than $200 if you shopped around. Even less if you wanted to go with the smaller track #2. The Sheath is $320.

Other less expensive options include be ESEE or the Ontario Rat knives. I carry a Rat -3 and an ESEE-6 when I'm out in the woods. The smaller knife gets a lot more use, but if you can only have one bigger (at least to a point) is better. A big knife will do anything a small knife will, but the reverse isn't as true.

[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
06-11-2015, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 11:42 AM by jennybee.)
I dunno if anyone is into lightweight/ultralight backpacking like I am, but this is a good series on youtube. I'll just post the first one here and you can check the other ones out on youtube if interested.

06-11-2015, 11:38 AM
(06-11-2015 11:11 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:08 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  One item? A Tops Knives Tom Brown Tracker #1. Preferably in a Hedgehog Leatherworks sheath since that would include a ferro rod for starting fires.

What is the cost on those?

EDIT: Oops just saw you added that in at the bottom of your post. My knife is definitely on the low end in terms of cost, but I want to upgrade eventually. I'm hoping I can buy the knife without the leather holster since I don't use leather Undecided

You can get an Ontario RAT-5 with a non leather sheath on Amazon for $70.

[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post