Hilarity then sadness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2015, 03:11 PM
RE: Hilarity then sadness
(28-08-2015 02:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  So sorry OC. It's the church that classifies all atheists as awful, ungrateful people with a total lack of morals. Basically to them, atheists are bad people who hate God and just want to sin freely. This is what I was taught as a Christian. Due to that, I can understand why your wife may take this position and call us the "I hate Christians" group. The church is a hateful organization and atheism threatens their very existence. They don't like thinkers. So the only way to combat that is to use the you're going to hell card and disparage atheists in any way they can.

To be fair, I will say that the head pastor at the church hasn't quite said that (the awful part anyway). He has said however the moral and gratitude nonsense though. He has also said in a couple sermons that apparently there are some atheists who attend their services although I have no idea how true this is. I would no say however in any way shape or form that her church is a hateful organization. The people that I interact with are great people. I am sure that there are pompous assholes there like you find everywhere but for the most part, they mean well.

I also don't really think that it's not like they don't like thinkers as much as many of them (via apologetic) seem to believe that people who DO think come to god. To some, the christian god is the logical conclusion. What they fail to realize that these dishonest people twist the meanings of words for their own gain and often outright lie. Intelligence and thinking don't being you to god, especially when you get the response from a believer that "you are thinking too much." I don't think that many believers really ponder the implications of their talking points.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
28-08-2015, 03:19 PM
(28-08-2015 02:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  ---
Basically to them, atheists are bad people who hate God and just want to sin freely. This is what I was taught as a Christian.

Wow.
Just, wow.

The damage control you guys have to do on your psyche is a fucking nightmare to me. Sadcryface

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
28-08-2015, 03:22 PM
(28-08-2015 03:11 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 02:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  So sorry OC. It's the church that classifies all atheists as awful, ungrateful people with a total lack of morals. Basically to them, atheists are bad people who hate God and just want to sin freely. This is what I was taught as a Christian. Due to that, I can understand why your wife may take this position and call us the "I hate Christians" group. The church is a hateful organization and atheism threatens their very existence. They don't like thinkers. So the only way to combat that is to use the you're going to hell card and disparage atheists in any way they can.

To be fair, I will say that the head pastor at the church hasn't quite said that (the awful part anyway). He has said however the moral and gratitude nonsense though. He has also said in a couple sermons that apparently there are some atheists who attend their services although I have no idea how true this is. I would no say however in any way shape or form that her church is a hateful organization. The people that I interact with are great people. I am sure that there are pompous assholes there like you find everywhere but for the most part, they mean well.

I also don't really think that it's not like they don't like thinkers as much as many of them (via apologetic) seem to believe that people who DO think come to god. To some, the christian god is the logical conclusion. What they fail to realize that these dishonest people twist the meanings of words for their own gain and often outright lie. Intelligence and thinking don't being you to god, especially when you get the response from a believer that "you are thinking too much." I don't think that many believers really ponder the implications of their talking points.

*All* churches are not hateful--but many are. I am glad your wife's church is not one of the hateful ones. My church was a very hateful church and was against same sex marriage, masturbation, marriage between people of different religions, listening to secular music, movies etc. They also advocated a Proverbs woman. I also had a pastor tell me yoga was bad because it was cult-like and could lead me away from the "true" religion of Christianity. I started hating myself for all the hate and control my church was spewing.

There are many intelligent, sophisticated Christians. When I use the word *thinking* I mean it in the sense of thinking past the point of church doctrine and questioning it. You can be a physicist and a Christian--but the minute that person starts questioning church doctrine in my old church--that's when the hell card comes out and the how dare you question God card comes out. That type of thinking is not well-liked in the church.
28-08-2015, 04:07 PM
(28-08-2015 01:52 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Anyway, that funny moment was broken a minute or so later when she said "well, that is something that you can post on your 'I hate christians site'" (referring to TTA).

Tell her you're a Christian atheist to take the sting out of it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-08-2015, 04:21 PM
(28-08-2015 04:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 01:52 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Anyway, that funny moment was broken a minute or so later when she said "well, that is something that you can post on your 'I hate christians site'" (referring to TTA).

Is that anything like a Jew for Jesus?

Because uh, that's fucking weird. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
28-08-2015, 04:26 PM
(28-08-2015 03:19 PM)kim Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 02:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  ---
Basically to them, atheists are bad people who hate God and just want to sin freely. This is what I was taught as a Christian.

Wow.
Just, wow.

The damage control you guys have to do on your psyche is a fucking nightmare to me. Sadcryface

Yes, so happy to be free of all of that Heart
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
28-08-2015, 04:44 PM
(28-08-2015 02:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Look around - I went to Catholic school in a nearly all Catholic town. Some say Catholics aren't really Christians (usually other Christians say that).

Interestingly, in my town there was a Catholic church and five Protestant ones - Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, Unitarian-Universalist, and Congregational.

We went to the Congo church which had an intellectual, liberal minister which is not uncommon in New England.

Anyway, we always thought that the Catholics were the 'official' Christians, the Episcopalians were Catholic wannabes, the Methodists boring, the Lutherans odd, and the U-Us a bit weird. Consider
As Congregationalists, we were more evolved. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-08-2015, 04:45 PM
(28-08-2015 04:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Nah. It would still be lying. That is just as silly as jesus.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
28-08-2015, 04:46 PM
(28-08-2015 04:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 02:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Look around - I went to Catholic school in a nearly all Catholic town. Some say Catholics aren't really Christians (usually other Christians say that).

Interestingly, in my town there was a Catholic church and five Protestant ones - Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, Unitarian/Universalist, and Congregational.

We went to the Congo church which had an intellectual, liberal minister which is not uncommon in New England.

Anyway, we always thought that the Catholics were the 'official' Christians, the Episcopalians were Catholic wannabes, the Methodists boring, the Lutherans odd, and the U-Us a bit weird. Consider
As Congregationalists, we were more evolved. Smile

I can tell you that's not what they think in the south. Catholics were seen as being similar to Satanists...sure surprised me to find that out. Blink

I could have understood had we been seen as Maryists or Saintists...but Satanists?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
28-08-2015, 06:09 PM

If you recall, just two months ago my father visited me and tried to pull out the "you aren't really an atheist, you just want to defy God's Laws" canard... after all, that's what our church teaches. He laid that card down with the certainty only someone whose pastor has told him, "Hit him with this Knowledge, it'll win for sure" can muster.

My response shocked him, when I said that I rejected "God's Laws" because I consider them to be immoral and I am a better person than the Bible says to be. I listed a few examples of Biblical ideas I find abhorrent.

Clearly, he had not considered the possibility that my sense of morality, not a "spirit of defiance" (another church term), is what led me to reject his faith.

That was day one of his visit. The rest of the weekend, we had a pretty good time together.

OC - I'd stay with the emphasis you mentioned, that lots of us are married to and/or are good friends with Christians, and that we're humans of high moral standards who are just offended by people who are willfully dishonest (the trolls on the site). If she understands that she is not under attack, and that what she is being taught about us should be viewed with, let's call it "a bit more", skepticism.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post